2 year itch

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Had the Twingo for 2 years, longest I've ever had a car! Considering changing, any thoughts?

Dont do it or if you do get a RS i had my GT 1 year then traded it in for the RS now i wont let the RS go

Meh, I miss rear wheel drive and real speed. Im 23 with 6 years no claims and a yearly bonus burning a hole in my pocket. It's either engine conversion or something new.

I've got some plans and measurements already, just a bit mad for road use!

Plus my milage will he going up soon. Looking at a second hand 330d

My sensible head says keep the car enjoy it for a bit longer and get the most out of it.

By actual head says, f*ck it. Buy something faster while you can and enjoy yourself.

To give you an example, I bought a new Clio 172 when I was 21. Only had it 2 years, had 15k on the clock and I lost God knows how much on it in depreciation but I had to have a Megane 225. My sensible head should have kept the 172 but I loved the Megane and surprised myself as I've had it over 5 years now.

At 23 with 6 years no claims you're in a prime position to get something faster and enjoy it. Do it when you're young enough. I now have a mortgage so have to be relatively sensible but because I bought the Megane before I'd moved out it's meant I can keep it and have the Gordini as my daily car.

The only thing I would say is be sensible in terms of financing the car as I've known people who've screwed themselves over with finance plans and loans etc. :)

I'm getting rid of my current at less than 2 years because of that itch! Hankered after a RS for quite a while and had the chance to change a couple of times with some tempting offers, but my sensible head said keep my current. Then I went with what alex calls the "actual head" :lol:

Would like to see what you do with a 133 though!

I've considered selling me lots of times before and even put it on the market but got no interest!:(

I've never kept a car longer than 10 months before... and ive had the twingo for 11 months so im tempted for a change but can't seem to justify it to myself at the moment.

good luck with whatever you do :) do what feel rights.

Lol, I have the cash, not a fan of finance. Any ideas for sensible daily car? High-ish mpg and comfortable. Will probably just run that and keep the Twingo as a modded track slag as well the more I think about it.

Steve-o":11nksim3 said:
Lol, I have the cash, not a fan of finance. Any ideas for sensible daily car? High-ish mpg and comfortable. Will probably just run that and keep the Twingo as a modded track slag as well the more I think about it.

Cash is all good. Although finance has it's perks though, provided it's something you can pay for it comfortably. It's easier paying off a company, ideally at 0% than pay your own savings back, if that makes sense.

As for sensible daily cars with good MPG, anything with a VAG TDI lump in it would be good.

Mate of mine has a Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI, re-mapped it to about 170bhp and a crazy amount of torque. In gear acceleration would really surprise a lot of cars, would give my Megane a good challenge. :D

Sensable cars theres alot that falls into his depends on what money and manafaturer you want to be honest

Twingogeekeo":13jhbmlx said:
Sensable cars theres alot that falls into his depends on what money and manafaturer you want to be honest
About £10k - not bothered what make really. Just comfortable and economical. An engaging drive would be a bonus but it's main job would be commuter/work car

get a lotuse elise mate, my grandad had a series one, sold it for 10k, and he bought it for 11k.

did 40mpg, 0-60 in 6 seconds coz it weighed nothing, handling was epic.

Lotus Elise, to commute? lol They are awesome cars, no doubt about that but I'm sure you'd soon get fed up of sitting on the floor, feeling every single bump in the road and the sheer lack of refinement.

IF you're thinking along those lines you could go for a Clio 182 Trophy, you'll get 34mpg+ at all times, amazing handling etc but even then for commuting it wouldn't be ideal.

How about a RenaultSport Megane175 DCI?

The megane made the most sense from those suggestions! I'm not sure what my milage will be like but as I mentioned earlier, looking at 330d or 'premium' hatchback. Not a fan of the a3, diesel golf Mk v would be good, gti even better.

Steve-o":1lprs9gz said:
Twingogeekeo":1lprs9gz said:
About £10k - not bothered what make really. Just comfortable and economical. An engaging drive would be a bonus but it's main job would be commuter/work car

My Dad's just bought a Honda Jazz and loves it - economical, quiet, comfortable, well built, 100% reliability and very sensible.

Mind you, he'll be 90 in a few months :lol:

Steve-o":3lsd224d said:
The megane made the most sense from those suggestions! I'm not sure what my milage will be like but as I mentioned earlier, looking at 330d or 'premium' hatchback. Not a fan of the a3, diesel golf Mk v would be good, gti even better.

Effectively the Megane would give you the best of both, a RenaultSport chassis which we all know will be brilliant and 45mpg+.

It's biggest down side is finding one. Very very few even on the owners club but if you can get one it would make a super car.

Out of interest, how many miles is your usual commute? You going to be doing 15k or more a year?