Acceleration tests from magazines? And unwilling top speed?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1975DCS

Reaction score
Have there been any acceleration tests from magazines? Yesterday I was trying out some top speed on a 2 km free road (before breaking area) and despite the decent rolling road tests the Twingo RS struggled to get past 190 km/h (on my TomTom V3) and 6.200/6.300 rpm. Basically it seems very decent up to 7.000 rpm in 4th gear, but once you hit 5th gear it goes slowly to 190 km/h. Are you experiencing the same? Are there also magazines that tested this? I did found an article from South Africa where the tester struggled to get past 178 km/h which seems even worse! Given the power of around 136-137 bhp you would expect at least an easy 6.750 rpm in 5th gear and 200 km/h?

One test:
0 - 80 km/h / 5,8 s / 67 m
0 - 100 km/h / 8,3 s / 129 m
0 - 120 km/h / 11,1 / 216 m
0 - 140 km/h / 15,8 / 385 m
0 - 160 km/h / 24,7 / 652 m
0 - 180 km/h / 33,7 / 1.197 m

Other test:
First is the gearbox. There are only five speeds, and no graphic to show you where reverse is, but these aren’t the problem. It is simply a nightmare of a ‘box. Graunchy and gnashy just working up or down through the ratios, with a useless feel which tells you nothing about which ratio you’re in at the moment. It’s geared short too, 120km/h in top equalling a very active 4000rpm on the tacho. It is horrible to use.

And yet you have to be working it a lot, because the naturally-aspirated 1.6 suffers from a trait similar to what broke the Clio RS for us. It
hasn’t been mapped for our altitude, which exacerbates the total lack of torque below 4000rpm and can make for jerky, coughy progress if the highway you’re travelling on takes on any incline at all.
Rev the socks off the thing, right round to the 6750rpm power peak and into the 7K blue line, and it gets a tad more convincing, although it could never be called truly rapid. It makes a sporty little growl from the single tailpipe though which is nice, although this has the side effect of convincing you you’re driving fast when pushing, even though a glance at the digital speedo will tell you otherwise. This car feels fast, but isn’t, especially here at Reef altitude.

And beneath the rorty exhaust note, the motor itself makes terrible noises, and delivers very inconsistent power. Below 4000 rpm it’s flat, listless, lifeless, but beyond that point it pulls, then tapers off, then splutters a little bit, and then starts pulling again at around 5500rpm. But even though the car wills you to chase these high revs, the engine doesn’t sound like it’s enjoying the experience. The last 1000rpm of the rev range is punctuated by some pretty horrifying sounds of mechanical pain.

It makes chasing the 201km/h top speed a fraught process, because not only does the engine sound like it could grenade at any time, it’s very obviously fighting a losing battle with air resistance at that point and acceleration is slooooowww. In fact, on public highways, I couldn’t get the space to top 178km/h on the speedo – 201 would take a very, very long runway somewhere with, preferably, no atmosphere to generate drag.

So, here you have a car which is big on the sensations and trappings of speed, but not so big on the actual speed itself thanks to less than convincing mechanicals. The chassis is a real little gem, sure, but that’s really where the performance aspect of this car ends.

Still, for a car so big on emotional content, the worrying Gordini association actually sits very well in the end. Although these sorts of visual addenda would be an utterly shameless pastiche of a legendary brand on say an Auris, on the Twingo it adds yet another layer of raw desirability to what is already a very cool, sexy little car.

Top speed of mine usually reached without much of a struggle on german autobahns at 221km/h since the remap (higher rev limiter made me gain 4 km/h on the top speed), and also reached every lap I do at the Nurburgring in the Fuchsrohre downhill. The tester in South Africa just doesn´t understand what makes a nice atmo engine, high rpm! It´s not a car made to be driven udner 4000rpm, fun comes above, way above, just like the Clio which is perfect between 5500 and 7500 rpm, because that´s the range you´re supposed to use on race tracks, and that´s what RS was thinking about when they did the engines.

If the guy wants lower revs and big torque, he should get himself a 500 Abarth, sure he would like it, but really his comments on the gearbox, engine sounds, global feeling of the car are not the ones of a sporty fanatic. The Twingo is really great on these aspects, close ratio, small gearbox lever, fast changes, precise, more than a lot of so-called sports cars could say.

Yeah the rev limiter is changed to around 7.300 rpm and power was measured at 117,7 bhp @ 6.700 rpm @ the wheels... It will probably go faster than I have reached sunday, I probably have to find longer straight. Although I am worried that the cam belt change at the Renault dealer isn't done right, to bad I haven't test this before the cam belt change or before the mapping...

So what kind of highway length do you (or others) think it would takes you to reach 200 km (on TomTom or 205 on Speedo)?