Airbox Rubber Bung

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currieravfc

Reaction score
I know this might sound a bit stupid but I can't get my bung back in the airbox which I took out almost as soon as I had the car brand new. No stupid replys like just push because I've been doing that and its not me either as friends and family have tried, there must be a technique to it otherwise I'm going to have to drill the holes bigger :(

currieravfc":3478rbn3 said:
I know this might sound a bit stupid but I can't get my bung back in the airbox which I took out almost as soon as I had the car brand new. No stupid replys like just push because I've been doing that and its not me either as friends and family have tried, there must be a technique to it otherwise I'm going to have to drill the holes bigger :(
Put duct tape over the hole instead of putting the bung in.

I got mine back in by very finely trimming the bobbles on the bung. Still had to press down hard to get it in but it stayed in until I decided to take it back out again a good few hundred miles later.

This will pobably sound sooooooooooo stupid and have many of you chuckling your hearts out but have you tried heating it with a hairdryer to soften the rubber a bit.

The three rubber tenons which are holding it in place have a small blind hole on the outside.
Make the tenons a bit wet and try to push them in with the dull end of a needle.

Worked for me!

I was going to try heating it up but it was getting dark, I also tried pushing each of the 3 in with a range of different screw heads which were either too big or went straight through the bung!

When it`s light, I`d give it a go with the hairdryer or maybe putting it in a small tub of hot water will soften it too. Never taken mine out. Thought about it once or twice but decided to leave it in.

Spray the rubber all over with wd40 then push it back in that's how I put mine back in had no problem going back I. Then

OK... if you want an easy in/out lubricant then use a little washing up liquid... works wonders and doesn't smell like WD40..It works wonders on most rubber items, door seals, boot seals, rear light seals .. it softens them and stops leaking and wind noise... If you want to softenm but don't have access to an electrical socket for the hair dryer method, use a glass of hot water and use it to warm the rubber up.. careful you don't burn your fingers though getting it out..

manofhow":3flmxqgt said:
Chicken":3flmxqgt said:
*cough* duct tape *cough*
i would get that cough sorted out

i do have to agree though, they r a bugger to get back in, bit of tape will work fine :)
It's the time of year for colds so think it'll sort itself out. Glad I'm not the only one thinking the tape method :lol:

Are there actually any known downsides to taking the bung out?
Can't say I've noticed any and the intake noise is so much better without, I can't see why it was put in in the first place!

I've been looking and the bung allows air to go in below the filter so surely this is bad? Especially when you change from stock filter to a performance panel and the noise doesn't change at all... Shows how much is sucked in from the engine bay via the bung holes

wd40 worked for me too, couldn't get it in properly before that (oo-err)
although I took it back out for the winter as I like the noise, ill probably leave it out until spring/summer

currieravfc":rooamu5h said:
I've been looking and the bung allows air to go in below the filter so surely this is bad? Especially when you change from stock filter to a performance panel and the noise doesn't change at all... Shows how much is sucked in from the engine bay via the bung holes
The engine breathes air from above the filter, so extra holes in the lower half of the airbox won't negate your air filter.