Blower not working

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slam

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've searched high and low on google and can't find any information to my question. My mum's 2009 Twingo heater blower has stopped working. It doesn't work at any speed. Google only ever seems to come back with Clio when searching for Twingo but I'm hoping someone could give me a couple of pointers please as to what to check - fuses / resistor and where to find them in the car?

Cheers

Did you see what the clio problems were? Very similar cars so could be the same :)

I tested the blower with a direct feed and it spins up, I also replaced the control module at the front but it made no difference which leaves the resistor to replace. I can see where the resistor plugs into the fan on the drivers side by removing the top storage panel. I think I need to remove the passenger side airbag cover to get to where the other half of the resistor plugs into. If I still can't get access, I'll need to remove the dashboard but I'm not sure if the bottom half of the dash can be separated from the top half?

Yeah the top half is separate to the bottom, don't know how they both come apart though, need to have mine off at some point :/

Got this sorted and what a pain in the ass it was to.

I got a Valeo replacement for 30 quid off ebay, came from Europe somewhere and I had to wait a few weeks.

For anyone else who finds this thread...

Remove the passenger airbag (doesn't need unplugged and I disconnected the battery for safety)
Remove the drivers top dash cubby hole
Remove the centre section of the dashboard where the speedo is (the wire connecting the resistor and blower motor runs along underneath the speedo)
Remove the panel under the steering wheel for access to the blower connector
Remove the power cable from the resistor (passenger side)
Remove the two 6mm nuts holding in the resistor
Remove the connector from the blower (driver side)
I cut the cable that runs between the resistor and blower to make it easier to remove.
It was a pain in the ass (for me anyway) to fit the new resistor into its slot and to feed the other end through the dashboard and connect it up to the blower. There's a big chucky cable in the way where the blower connector needs to fit through. I made it fit by pulling the dashboard up the way and pushing the cable down.

That was pretty much it.

How do guys,

Heater blower went not long ago had it replaced last week, been fine... Lovly and warm lol.

Jumped in the car today heaters were on speed 3, on full heat and came on drove the car about 300 meters head lights Dimmed briefly, then the rev counter did the same... That's it heaters gone again.

Checked fuse - not a problem.

Air/con button pressed - ac engages no blow, revs pick up sliglhty so it's trying to pump the ac.

Blower motor seems fine (well it should be its brand new)

That leaves the resistor but could it be that? When the new blower went in the resistor wasn't changed but surely the new blower hadn't gone already?

For arguments sake... Let's say the blowers fine, resistors fine... Fuse is fine... Could it be anything else cheers.

hi LL & Bushy Twingo, did you get blower working ? I have same issue on sons car, changed out resistor for one of ebay worked great for a few days then fan now slows right down & stops making noise, then nothing sometimes it start again but making noise in fan, how hard was it to change the fan blower motor itself, I cant see anything on here that shows where it is or how to change it, any help from anyone would be greatly received as we need it urgently now for winter. from this thread I see Slam put direct feed onto it so will try that to see if motor spins up full speed as well.

hi all & Bushy Twingo, did you get blower working ? I have same issue on sons car, changed out resistor for one of ebay worked great for a few days then fan now slows right down & stops making noise, then nothing sometimes it start again but making noise in fan, how hard was it to change the fan blower motor itself, I cant see anything on here that shows where it is or how to change it, any help from anyone would be greatly received as we need it urgently now for winter. from this thread I see Slam put direct feed onto it so will try that to see if motor spins up full speed as well.

Chaps if you havent sorted this already have you checked the connector that plugs in the the resister. Reason being i had a non working fan and turned out to be burnt connectors. Common problem across the range. £11 later for new harness off ebay or amazon and its been fine since. If anyone needs help with this message me it really annoyed me for ages not having a heater but buy god the heaters are really good in these twingos once working. Too hot sometimes lol heats up really quick. Only thing i dont do is leave it on no4 fan setting has this is what overheats the wireing apparently.

Hi guys! First post!

My blower motor started playing up a few weeks ago, as in it wasn’t functional at any speed.... weirdly though, when the car hit a bump on the front right it would just kick into life. I can still feel heated/cold air blowing through the vents at higher speeds.

Recently, the motor is making a rattling noise when it does decide to work, like it’s catching on something. I’ve got a £30 replacement off ebay and got a garage to fit it, but I’m just curious if anyone else has had this issue, and was this the correct fix?

Cheers :D :D

Mine has started to do the same this year. It can be fine for weeks, and then one day it doesn't work. But if the tap the side of the dash by the clutch pedal with my foot it kicks back into life.

I think the bushes are worn in one spot, and when you tap it moves to a good point and runs. But it does look like a nightmare to change the motor.

It doesn't, I figured out a way of doing it without removing the dashboard.

I took inspiration from these two videos, and sort of joined them together in my head. (On the second video, he couldn't get the blower motor out).

You can split the blower motor into two halves. One half with the squirrel cage and motor, the other with the back plate.

So, I took the top panel off (the one behind the steering wheel).
The bottom of the plastic surround that goes around the steering column.
The plastic panel above the pedals.
And the air vent that goes to your feet (see the second video).

(You don't need to remove any pedals on the Twingo, there is just about enough space to get around the pedals. Also the motor is just held on with a tab, push on the tab, then spin the motor about a 1/4 of a turn clockwise and it comes out).

If you watch the second video, have the blower with the squirrel cage point down at the pedals (as in the video).
Then watch what the person did on the first video, pull the tabs back on the blower motor and split it in two.

With one arm under the dash, and the other going through the top of the dash, pull the blower apart.

Put the squirrel cage half back in hole where it goes in the dash, and pass the back plate pass the pedals and out.
Then pull the squirrel cage out pass the pedals and out.

Split the new replacement motor in two before you try and put it back in the car.

Feed the back plate pass the pedals. I left it sitting on top of the steering column until you need it later.
Feed the squirrel cage half pass the pedals.
Now, you need to look to see where the connect is on the motor. Get your back plate, line up where the hole for the connector is. And push the whole blower motor assembly back together.

Put the motor back in the hole that it lives in, plug the connector back in, put the vent back on and put all the plastic panels back on.

And voila, all done with out removing the dash.

(I checked the resistor and connector last week. A lot of places say this is most common reason why its not working on Renaults, so check them before you spend money on parts. On on my car the resistor and connector were fine. No damage at all on the connector or wiring).

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've searched high and low on google and can't find any information to my question. My mum's 2009 Twingo heater blower has stopped working. It doesn't work at any speed. Google only ever seems to come back with Clio when searching for Twingo but I'm hoping someone could give me a couple of pointers please as to what to check - fuses / resistor and where to find them in the car?

Cheers
Hi I’m having problems with my 2008 twingo blower had it fixed x2 times and the same problem arises have you had any answers for yours thanks Di

Hi guys

I've just bought a Renault wind for my daughter and the blowers are not working, but just like many of you the heat is still coming through etc

I can't find anything on the wind but I think it's pretty much a twingo, would I be right

Thanks

Sandy