Brake upgrade advice for track days!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducati07

Reaction score
Hi all,

Took the cup on its first track day today, castle Combe and it was awesome - only thing that let it down were the brakes, which were weak and faded quickly, even with standard road tyres. Obviously planning on some better pads and racing fluid, but taking it one step further, anyone got any suggestions about disc upgrades or bigger calipers? Any advice would be very welcome thanks!

Janes.

Mtec do brake discs with different designs in which may help, fluid change would be a good start tho. If not you can get the calliper bracket they make for the Clio which allows you to put the brembo 4 pots off Megane etc onto the Twingo. Bit of work to make them fit I believe.

I'll be doing this brake conversion soon tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm I like the idea of the 4 pots from the Megane James.

Dave, why would the Clio mounts be needed if one would still need to do work to make them fit? Genuine question as I have not got around to looking at the brakes yet?

Is there a Clio caliper that would fit or are they also floating calipers? Maybe the 172 or other Clio caliper?

I did stainless brakelines with decent fluid, high carbon standard disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads. Hasn't faded or let me down on track. When warm it also brakes hard. Very usable on the street aswell.

It's down to how much skill/knowledge you have, if you are able to fabricate your own brackets to mount the brembos then go for it. The ones the sell for Clio 182 brake conversions should fit the hub. Like I say, I haven't tried it just yet but I've heard they need adjusting slightly for the Twingo.

I don't think the Clio 182/172 standard calipers are that much bigger than the Twingos, rather go straight to brembos if you're gonna spend the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza":4orzdxca said:
I did stainless brakelines with decent fluid, high carbon standard disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads. Hasn't faded or let me down on track. When warm it also brakes hard. Very usable on the street aswell.

I agree with you. 4 pot calipers are a great upgrade but a bit expensive. I think Twingo stops very good with OEM brakes.
Hoses (Goodrige or Hel), a good fluid (Motul RBF600/660) and DS2500 pads would give him a great improvement especially in endurance.

You have to bear in mind that huge breaking power does nothing if you don't have the tyres to accomodate them.
Big brakes look cool but without sticky tyres they are useless on track.

Oh we do not need to worry about tyres. We have all sorts from r888's to yokos and many others for track.
The standard caliper and disc setup on oem is really good for fast road and once or twice round a track but you soon realise after a few times that to get lap times down and smoother transitions you need to be slowing the car down a lot smoother and quicker before turning.
Weve also noticed the rear do not seem to do a great deal. Wondering if its a 30/70 ratio on braking with no one in the back?

Will certainly look at fluid change. New hoses and try the pads recommended above first though.

audiobull":13yo6ltz said:
Oh we do not need to worry about tyres. We have all sorts from r888's to yokos and many others for track.
The standard caliper and disc setup on oem is really good for fast road and once or twice round a track but you soon realise after a few times that to get lap times down and smoother transitions you need to be slowing the car down a lot smoother and quicker before turning.
Weve also noticed the rear do not seem to do a great deal. Wondering if its a 30/70 ratio on braking with no one in the back?

Hi,
the standard callipers + steel brake lines are more then sufficient for trackdays but you need proper brake pads, i use the Carbon lorraine RC6 front and RC5 back and they are more than adequate on track. A little airflow for the front brakes is adviced because of the heat the rc6 pads produce. They are very expensive though...

Some more info:
I also used the Ferodo ds2500 pads on track and was very disappointed with them.
They are nowhere near the performance of the Rc6 pads, i use the ds2500 only for road now.

So: rc6, steel brake lines, hc discs and good brake fluid (Castrol SRF in my case) and some brake cooling in front is the way to go
but feel free to put 4 pots on the twingo if you want to but performance wise it is not needed.

Happy racing :)

I would imagine that 4pots on a 133 is a bit of over kill. The calipers are not changing for the r1 rally cars and if they stop a mk3 laguna they will stop a Twingo. I have brembo hc discs and ss brake lines to go on still unsure about pads. Look for 172 discs as the ones listed for a 133 are usually more expensive even though it's the same disc.

As said I don't think the callipers are that weak, straight off a Laguna. The discs are off a Megane. I think it is mainly a issue of getting the correct pads to suit your needs. If the car is still been driven on the road you need to take that into account. Pads which only work at high temp could get you in trouble on the road if you suddenly need them and they are cold.

rocketman":mc7in7jp said:
As said I don't think the callipers are that weak, straight off a Laguna. The discs are off a Megane. I think it is mainly a issue of getting the correct pads to suit your needs. If the car is still been driven on the road you need to take that into account. Pads which only work at high temp could get you in trouble on the road if you suddenly need them and they are cold.

This is true for some racing pads but i can assure you that the Carbon Lorraine RC6 do not need any warmup, even ice-cold they brake like hell.
They also scream like hell... :) so you have to keep that in mind when you are not using them on a race track.

We literally are using them for track but we are driving them to the tracks so it is important to keep it legal and also so it stops. I do the the point that the calipers are off a laguna and discs of a megane. However it ultimately I think in the end 4 pots are the way to go. Maybe expensive and maybe a little overkill but in theory will not be working that hard if they are designed for something much more heavier and more powerful.

How long are you finding the RC6 and other pads lasting after a track day? Is it a track day and needing to change them?

Just remember if using 4pots you will have to run motorsport specific alloys in 16" or any 17" they don't fit under 15" and I think only speedline turinis 16". Also take into account the added the added unsprung weight of running larger calipers, discs and pads. I run 15" speedline turbines and have dun a few rally and recces with the standard setup and its more than up to the job.

24d2355cab50929607ced521096a80ab.jpg

Brembos the way forward [emoji1305]