Broken intermittent wipers and other stuff...

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamozzy

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post so forgive me if it goes a little wrong :p But you all seem very knowledgeable and are probably the place to go to first before I start chucking money at my Renault dealer again!!

Anyway to cut along story short(ish) I had a run in with a suicidal fox the other month which caused a run in with a bit of a grass verge :/ anyway since then, and a rather large repair bill from the bodyshop, I've noticed that the intermittent setting on my wiper stalk doesn't work any more :( also the little trip button on the end doesn't work either.

Any ideas on how to mend this? The intermittent setting does work however if you come to a stop and the wipers are on constant... Maybe it's just a broken stalk?

Sorry that was long winded :/ anyway hope you can help!!

Think I may have not put this in the best place either... No idea how to move it haha :/

the problems down to the relays, i've seen this one a few times before and oddly enough one was after a car had hit a deer in the highlands and i got the lovely job of having to track the problem down. the relay wasn't switching, which meant that it's dead and will need changing. a working relay will make a clicking sound. it is a small switch basically, so that when you set it to intermittent setting the relay won't switch to complete the circuit. can't remember from the top of my head which relay number it is exactly but it's about a £4 bit of kit lol. as for the the trip button, that could be something as simple as a loose connection. you can remove it and test it with a multimeter for flow continuity and / or resistance. if it pops up with infinity then it's a dud. if you get a reading between 4-5volts or therabouts then jobs a good one just a loose wire / connection.

to add to what i said sorry, there will be three relays for wipers. back / front / front intermittent :) worst case scenario will be that the relays are fine and the stalks fine. the relays flow into a fuseboard, and then into the UCH...that will be very pricey for the UCH and then programming it mate as only renault will have the capability to programme it. you need renaults clip diagnostics to programme it and access coding which is why renault dealerships have the monopoly on that sort of work. don't take my words as gold though :) the more i think about it, the more i think it could be the UCH as i only just realised you said that the intermittent wipers work occasionaly which would rule out the relays as they either work 100% of the time or blow and need replaced, never an inbetween lol

Thanks for the reply!

Hopefully it'll just be the stalk or a relay then, I like the sound of cheap repairs! A mate and I will have a look at it properly during the week... Any ideas how to get the stalk out to see if that's the problem?

If all else fails I guess I'll have to get Renault to look at it next week when it goes in to Renault to have its airbag light sorted for the upteenth time <- at least they've only charged me the once!!

Just a quick update if anyone was interested, bought a new stalk off ebay for a tenner bunged a mate a couple more notes to fit it and I now have working wipers!! Woo! :)