Bye Bye Twingo

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Reaction score
So, the early hours of Saturday 18th October was the last time I had the pleasure of driving my Twingo Freeway after having had it for nearly 5 years from new. :( Here's a photograph from the night before it went, restored to its former glory and all the mods removed, with 50,223 miles on the clock. I'd taken it on many journeys to all four corners of the UK, even John o'Groats and it never let me down once. Yes, it wasn't a 133 but the car was still quirky and had great character and was just as fun to drive.
100_3941-1.jpg

I'm at the stage in my life where I wanted something a bit bigger, with a few snazzy features and some more power, that's going to last me longer and holds its value more than the Twingo, so I've gone for a 10 month old VW Polo. :) Absolutely loving the new motor, it's completely different to what I'm used to and now I realise just how small the Twingo was!

Now just occasionally browsing the auction sites and the garage in the hope Twingo crops up on there as I'd like to see where it ends up or at least how much it sells for. I left the Twingo 133 sticker in but I bet you that'll be removed before it's sold on!

Anyway, I hope everyone here is keeping well - I'll try and get some photos of the Polo up but the weather has been so foul this week the new car is filthy already :/ Y'know what my job is this weekend then...

Aww Sam its so good to hear from you!!! Hope you're well? I traded my 133 in back in March but like you I knew it was the right thing to do. So me and Maggi are both twingoles nowadays as his went the month before mine!
Hope you have lots of new memories in the new car! Can't wait to see photos :)

Hiya Carrie! I wondered what happened to everyone. I'm not doing too badly thank you, just a super mad last 12 months or so which is why I haven't been around, just various family events and then having to have an operation (which I could have done without) I didn't really have much time for modding the car or even coming to meets etc and figured it best to sell it before it started costing me in work that needed doing etc. I'm in lots of pain once again and I've just found out in the last couple of weeks I've got to have another operation soon, but otherwise I'm doing well!

Hopefully after this next operation I can be around here a bit more, still would love to come down to some shows and meets etc.

Yes! New car is still taking some getting used to but is so much nicer to drive. Knowing that I can emerge from a side road and make it or going up a hill in 5th gear are things that the Twingo was incapable of. I will miss it though.

How are you and Maggi doing? So you're both without Twingos, what do you zoom around in now?!

Sam":qgas109g said:
Hiya Carrie! I wondered what happened to everyone. I'm not doing too badly thank you, just a super mad last 12 months or so which is why I haven't been around, just various family events and then having to have an operation (which I could have done without) I didn't really have much time for modding the car or even coming to meets etc and figured it best to sell it before it started costing me in work that needed doing etc. I'm in lots of pain once again and I've just found out in the last couple of weeks I've got to have another operation soon, but otherwise I'm doing well!

Hopefully after this next operation I can be around here a bit more, still would love to come down to some shows and meets etc.

Yes! New car is still taking some getting used to but is so much nicer to drive. Knowing that I can emerge from a side road and make it or going up a hill in 5th gear are things that the Twingo was incapable of. I will miss it though.

How are you and Maggi doing? So you're both without Twingos, what do you zoom around in now?!
Aww I'm sorry to hear about the operation! Hope you're OK or at least soon will be.

Sounds like you've done the right move, get it traded in before it costs you money! And with driving around a lot it's nice to have a car with gadgets in!!

We are both well thank you :) coming up to being three years together!! We both wanted bigger cars and mine hit 60k so needed to go tbh as it was going to cost me money come the mot. He's got the new Clio 200T and I've got a Honda CRZ, saves me sooooo much money on fuel which was the main reason I changed over. Plus still looks cool and if we need a 5 door then I've got his to use!
The Clio is a fantastic car and so much fun to drive! Glad he got it!!

I hope the new owner of yours pops on to say hello!!

Sam":1i2lred3 said:

Aww I'm sorry to hear about the operation! Hope you're OK or at least soon will be.

Sounds like you've done the right move, get it traded in before it costs you money! And with driving around a lot it's nice to have a car with gadgets in!!

We are both well thank you :) coming up to being three years together!! We both wanted bigger cars and mine hit 60k so needed to go tbh as it was going to cost me money come the mot. He's got the new Clio 200T and I've got a Honda CRZ, saves me sooooo much money on fuel which was the main reason I changed over. Plus still looks cool and if we need a 5 door then I've got his to use!
The Clio is a fantastic car and so much fun to drive! Glad he got it!!

I hope the new owner of yours pops on to say hello!!

Thanks! I hope so too, I'm done with hospitals. :(

Absolutely! It doesn't have a built in sat nav or cruise control but they weren't features I really desired anyway. Air conditioning was definitely a must and the fact it's a 5 door car means there's that extra space should I need it. I went to the USA with a couple of friends earlier this year and left my Twingo at Heathrow, one suitcase in the boot, the other two wedged upright on the back seats.. not ideal! Don't get me wrong though, the Twingo has been a great first car.

Wow has it really been that long?! Where has that time gone? Congrats to the both of you. :) Good choice on the replacement cars, those Clio 200T's look swish! I do like the CRZ's. too :p Yeah, the Polo is great on fuel too. Took it on its first trip up the motorway on a 170 mile round trip to Stoke on Trent to visit a friend there, only used 1/4 of a tank and the trip computer is still estimating I'll get another 300 miles out of it. Impressed!

Me too! I was going to try and leave a little note in the service book or something but wasn't sure if that would be too sad!

Well here's a couple of pics from today when I had the opportunity to clean it without it chucking down!

WP_20141026_002.jpg
polo-int.png

Thanks Caz :) Now just waiting for the slowest organisation in the world (the DVLA) to give me the tax refund on the Twingo and send me out my V5 for the Polo. I bet they're struggling under this new tax system! Might be a call to the garage on Monday, if my Twingo paperwork has been sat on someone's desk for two weeks waiting to be posted to Swansea, I won't be impressed!!

Oh yes, well it did come through eventually and I'm now the proud owner of the wee beast. I love it! So much more powerful than the Twingo, knowing I can pull out or overtake somebody and make it in time.

Seems to cruise along the motorway and have found myself overtaking in the outside lane, those that would normally tailgate the Twingo i.e. Audi's, BMWs, Mercs, VWs and Jaguars.. without exceeding any speed limits! So I'm pleasantly surprised haha.

Well I've just looked online and my old Twingo Freeway has been sold on in early December by the looks of it. Wonder if the new owner has turned up here yet?!