Car breaking up on acceleration

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K3urtjen

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've currently got an annoying issue with my RS I'm hoping to pick your brains about.

On monday last week the car wouldn't start when I wanted to set of to work.
The car cranked a couple of times and died.
The interior light was dimmer than usual, and by borrowing a multimeter from work I came to the conclusion my battery had died.
It's lasted for six whole years, and being a particularly cold winter in Belgium this year, I thought that was pretty good going.
Getting home late afer work and being busy when i got home, the car sat for a week in the garage.
Saterday last week I finally had some time to go out to get a new battery, which solved the problem.
I've driven it everyday the past week, and the car was perfectly fine, until friday morning.

I was about 15 minutes in to my commute to work, and suddenly the car hesitated a bit when accelerating, at about 2000 RPM.
It did so a couple of times, and then stopped doing it.
A couple of miles down the road, on some cobblestone, the car did the same.
I tried to coax some more life in to it by applying some throttle, in the hope the car would pull through.
When i did that, the car started beeping at me, while flashing the 'stop' and steering wheel light on the dash.
I immediately lifted off, and the lights went away, stopping the beeping noise.
It continued to run a bit rough all the way down to work (by the time this had occurred I was almost there).
I opened the bonnet, and saw the clamp of the negative terminal had come undone.
I chalked it down to being my fault for not properly fixing and tightening the clamp, so I borrowed some tools from the workshop and fixed the issue.
Driving home from work, the car was perfectly fine again, so I thought nothing more of the issue.

Yesterday the car ran fine when I used it, but alas, this morning the issue reared its head again.
This time however, the RPM's where the car would hesitate and not rev past fluctuated.
Sometimes it would do it at 2000, sometimes 3000, sometimes even 4000.
It would struggle to get going from a standstill sometimes as well.
Other times it got going just fine and didn't stutter once throughout the rev range.
I checked the battery terminal, thinking it somehow threw the clamp of again, but no dice.
So now I'm slightly lost as to what it could be, since the car ran fine before the battery died.
I thought it was because of the new battery at first, but I assume it would've displayed this issue from day one?

I'm sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to try and describe as clearly as possible what I've encountered.

Any of you guys have any idea what could be acting up?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Hi Guys and Girls

I thought I’d just give you a quick update about this issue.
After reading up on some of the more common issues with these cars, I thought I figured it out.
The car breaking up on load was a recurring symptom of failing coil packs.
So I went up to my local Renault garage, and my analysis was immediately shot down.
If it was faulty coil packs, the car would’ve had a rough idle as well, which mine didn’t.
They offered me to do a system readout, and the actual issue became clear immediately.
It turnd out that the bank 1 lambda sensor (pre-cat) had given up on lambda-ing correctly.
The faulty emissions readings caused the car to break up and go in limp mode.
I’ve had a new one installed and, knock on wood, everything seems fine again.