Car won't start - fixed (fuse pulled and put back in)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotted this in autodata, may help?

Affected vehicles

All models.

Problem

Central locking not operating.
Various electrical faults.
Engine will not start.
Instrument panel illumination not working.

Cause

Multifunction control module faulty.
Multifunction control module harness multi-plug connector pins damaged.

Remedy

Check multifunction control module harness multi-plug connector for pushed out, corroded or damaged pins. Repair/replace component(s) as necessary.
If no fault(s) found: Fit modified multifunction control module.

Don't know if mines the same or not
But today I opened the car as normal, put the key in ignition and tried to start, nothing happened, no lights or anything
Had the boot open most of the day so I figured the battery's probably dead, so put it on charge, and it said it was fine after about 20seconds, turned key and the car started, wtf?
Trip meter has reset and the time was back about 15 mins(since when it was dead?)
And ideas?

if your boot was open for most of the day, the rear boot light will have been on and will draw the charge out of the battery. once it gets below 12.2 volts, the ECU will automatically pick up on this and enact a cut of the ignition to prevent the ECU from being damaged. modern ecu's go in the bin the moment they drop below 12.2 volts.

as to why that is, i genuinely couldn't tell you why. i'm no electronics expert, just reciting all the technical stuff i was fed at renault. i wasn't listening that day lol :D

Don't think it's the battery
Car was fine last night, this morning however, completely different!
Every time I used something electric, lights, indicators, windows, brakes, the stop sign came on and there was the loud beeping noise, but the car drove fine
Got to work, tried the windows to see if it was still doing it, and the car just went dead, and everything went off, even the revs didn't drop to 0, they're still at 700
Tried turning the key in the ignition, and nothing happens,
Anybody know what's happening? I don't have a clue!

Open the red cover on the battery +ve terminal. Check the nuts are tight for the fuses. The big black mega fuse is the starter fuse. The other smaller ones are various body electrics.

unless you disconnect the -ve lead first, be carefull waving a spanner about and shorting the live to any part of the body/chassis.

singlespeed":10t7zcl0 said:
unless you disconnect the -ve lead first, be carefull waving a spanner about and shorting the live to any part of the body/chassis.
I can vouch for that.
Guy who helped me install my ICE got a few sparks when he touched it by accident with a wrench :-D

singlespeed":phshc3vv said:
Open the red cover on the battery +ve terminal. Check the nuts are tight for the fuses. The big black mega fuse is the starter fuse. The other smaller ones are various body electrics.

Thanks Neil! I'll try it on my lunch! Luckily I've found a set of spanners I can use(I work in an office)
Will try disconnecting the battery aswell to see if it does anything
Also, yesterday I changed all of my interior plastic, could trapping/breaking a wire or something cause any of this? I don't think I have I just want to rule stuff out

EDIT:
Reconnected the battery at lunch, car started first time, definitely a electrical problem somewhere :/

Hi guys new here, was just wondering if any of you knew which fuse is for the cigarette lighter?

Had the same problem. Passenger and boot door locked with turning the key but the drivers door refused to lock. Hazards didn’t work and just a relay click when trying to start. Took the fuse out and put it back in everything working as normal. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had similar issue, car refused to start but central locking, lights, etc worked. Tried both keys, no luck. Removed fuse, tried a new fuse, no luck. Disconnected battery in attempt to reset it, no luck.

Jump start however brought it to life immediately so can only surmise that if the battery is below a certain level the car prevents itself from being turned over? Hopefully this might be of use to anyone having the same issue.

Well done that man, had the same problem on Twingo RS cup after 9 years of motoring suddenly decided yesterday it wouldn't lock or engine start!!

Pulled that fuse out then back in again and hey presto all good!! :D

had the same problem last night. Both fobs won't lock/unlock doors or start car. Air blower, windows and lights all worked. Internal light, radio display, central locking didn't. Service/problem spanner and power steering lights on dash. Emergency callout guys tried bump and jump starts. Told definitely ECU needed to go to garage. Disconnected battery for 10 mins then everything worked okay (thanks to this thread). Anyone know what's causing this ECU or bad earth??