Civic coupe RWD conversion

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tw11ngo

Reaction score
I have just agreed to buy a beautiful 5th gen rolling shell for a civic coupe which was the 1.5/1.6 original version. no phone so no pics yet, but will get them from my friend soon. she is white with a black integra spoiler, black roof and carbon wrapped bonnet. angel eyes. sprayed white honda wheels which will be coming off and replace with deep dishes of some sort in black. i have plans to use the engine, train and rear axle from a lexus gs300 or a toyota soarer 2JZ (1JZ possibly) powerplant and trans train. we are in 2nd year of college doing mechanics so this will be a learning curve, depending on the reality of housing the back axel...that is what the engine choice and axel will depend on, if it fits within reason then i'll be using whatever engine goes with the axle. i really really don't want to use an s2000 engine because they're gutless at best, i will keep you all updated on progress over the coming 6months and begin uploading pictures of her very soon

You'd better make it look standard. VOSA are getting quite hot on chassis changes - and they just remove your registration and identification numbers so that the vehicle can't be used on the road, if you're caught.

Still, at least yours will be underneath - whereas those people that have been bobbing Range Rovers are a lot easier to spot.

oh that's fine man lol, it wont be a road car anyway, it'll be trailered to and from thunder valley in fife and crail :) as of november, if you modify your car with anything other than an OEM piece of equipment, EU legislation states that under the construction and use of vehicles, those vehicles are void of insurance and void of its MOT. so if you put anything from a non Renault wiperblade to a new non Renault set of springs, coil over and you're caught (cant really see it ever being enforced lol) but your will receive the points and penalties for driving without insurance and MOT. how unfair is that man

I'd be interested in which forum rumour mill that was spun from. As its absolute bull :lol:
If you find the exact legislation though ill agree and then eat my hat

There was similar going around about there possibly being something to be discussed and considered but nothing ever came of it

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made doing a case study of this in college, and it basically shows that if you change one thing that is not OEM then the car is then not the car that the manufacture released, making your insurance and MOT void. we had a police officer in talking to us about the new law changes coming up well he was just a community one. they're trying to make existing laws bullet proof basically, because the road vehicles construction and use act is a bit vague which is why it's hard to enforce it. i do support it, lets the trained mechanics say whats what about cars and the boy racers..remember! https://ec.europa.eu/transport/doc/roadworthiness-package/com%282012%29380.pdf there is the proposal in itself. unless you're an automotive engineer who's worked for mercedes, jaguar, triumph, range rover or work for the police who deal with laws...then you can tell those seasoned folks in the know that they're wrong, don't tell me tell them lol

wouldn't have asked me that if you'd read it, i'll give you a year to read man lol it's stupidly tooo long for anyone to be bothered with. it sleavers on about how the cars been engineered to meet stringent engineering requirements and then tested and passed on the marks it gained in the test, for example you've got a bonnet made of metal which is designed to absorb and buckle in the case of an impact etc to protect the driver. and then lil mental jay with the burberry decides to slam on a 200 quid ebay carbon fibre bonnet which in an impact will just break like glass shattering because it's actually glass fibre with a few sheets of carbon fibre cloth to make it look the part will actually. the moment he puts that part on, the car that was passed on those safety tests is now anything but the 5 star euro n-cap car that renault spent hundreds of millions releasing. obviously the bonnet doesn't protect u too much in an accident but it's apart of the crumple zone you know? new world order's coming for us. run! haha

This is already the case here.

It's not allowed to have a carbon fibre hood, different brakes (claws or disc), engine swaps, etc..

You english can consider yourself lucky you can still do alot of stuff without needing TÜV's for coilovers and exhausts.

tw11ngo":1bzr7px7 said:
we had a police officer in talking to us about the new law changes coming up well he was just a community one.

:lol: Are you sure you weren't all just having a lesson in road safety?

That second linked document basically says "all states must have an MOT" which is important for places like Cyprus that basically didn't have one before they joined.

It does say however
(9) ‘roadworthiness test’ means a verification that the parts and components of a vehicle
comply with its safety and environmental characteristics in force at the time of
approval, first registration or entry into service, as well as at the time of retrofitting;
The MOT already does this, but it could be used as an excuse to block things like carbon bonnets and race cats. In general the proposal means nothing to UK law, though the police particularly would love to be able to seize and crush anything with obviously-aftermarket wheels, lowering suspension and particularly exhausts and tints. It is a bit difficult to be sure because the unlinked "Annex VII" contains a more specific list of tests.

... Oh, one nice difference is that they're extending the first MOT to four years, then every 2 years.

The first link appears to be a 26 year old piece of legislation, so I'm not sure how that suddenly changes things.