Cornering problems!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthias

Reaction score
Hi all!

Well I'm not sure this is a real problem, but since it's driving me nuts, I do want to share it with you. I don't like driving fast on public roads, but every now and then I do like to drive through a corner or two a bit faster (the corner I'm talking about later on is on a very secluded road and I wasn't endangering anyone). Again, some of you might find this stupid or weird, but I don't really get it. I'm driving on stock 17" wheels and Conti's 3, just to let you know about the set-up, so nothing special.

There was a no big deal right corner and I wasn't going too fast, about 52 mph (remember doing 43 in my moms Polo 1.2 stock in the same corner without a problem) and suddenly my front right wheel got locked up and I heard a weird sound, it felt as if the ESP would make an intervention, but there was no light on. After the corner I stopped and saw that a tiny piece of my rim got scratched. I tried the same corner and same thing happened, so I decided to throw it in some other corners and the car held up to my expectations. I went to our local dealer to check my suspension/tyre set-up and he said everything is a-ok. I know that the grip on the tarmac can't be consistent, but Polo 1.2 with it's "swimming" suspension vs. Twingo RS Cup is a big difference! What's your opinion on that? Is it because of the tyre size? Rim size?

Thanks!

bit of a puzzler tbh the ammount of courners i through mine round is unreal i have hit some nice windy bits over hear doing 60-70 and have had no probloms but if there is a bump in the road and a rear wheel will leave the ground a bit and the traction control will kick in and you will see a orange light light up on the speedo and it flashes when it kicks in.

It's a puzzler for me too, but in a long right corner it should mean something. No bumps of anything :cry:

Sometimes a short wheelbase if you unload a wheel you get the abs/esp cut in to try too pull it back.

I come from the town of roundabouts and mine lives with the ESP off, much better in my opinion

I've noticed eariler this year that the front right side of the car is leaning and is lower than the left side! Do you think it's some kind of a problem with my springs? Coincidently only my front right wheel gets scratched every time I corner it fast, so all of this might be a bigger problem with suspension or something...gettin confused and angry as the car does not inspire driving thrills!

Matthias":66kiz5pu said:
I've noticed eariler this year that the front right side of the car is leaning and is lower than the left side! Do you think it's some kind of a problem with my springs? Coincidently only my front right wheel gets scratched every time I corner it fast, so all of this might be a bigger problem with suspension or something...gettin confused and angry as the car does not inspire driving thrills!
the tyres are low profile, but with the correct presure in them the wheel rim should be clear of the road.

If the springs look to be complete, as in the end of one hasn't broken off, mentioning uneven ride height, it could be an issue with the top mount assembly, allowing the top of the strut to move excesively as the tyre grips. This would possibly increase the camber angle to the point where the cars body roll and tyre flex allow the wheel rim to contact the road. It will also feel terible to drive as the grip will become less as the contact patch becomes less.

Cheers for that! That's exactly how it feels like! Well at least I know what to say to the dealer, it's a good start. I'm getting really angry at them as we speak, because I did point out that car feels a bit weird and from the outside it looks as if it was leaning towards the front right side. That was 5 months ago! Time to get the thing sorted out, I'll let you know about what the problem was!

Bye

Hey guys!

Just a quick little update - the problem was solved today, yay! My front right top mount got loosened up a bit (couple of mm), enough to move too freely when I was cornering fast, that's why my rim kept touching the tarmac and therefore my car was acting really weird and insecure. Well, they tightened the mount and it's a completely new car. I've been having this problem since the beginning (the dealer was telling me everything was fine), but now that I made a huge scene at the workshop, they decided to have a closer look and found the problem! So it took me 17.000 km to finally discover what the Cup suspension is – might sound silly, but it feels like I bought a new car, hehe!

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers!

I'm glad I pointed you in the right direction.

As the fault was mentioned but wasn't corrected earlier, are they going to sort the scratched rim?

First off, thanks! Well the question about the rims is a smart one, but unfortunately guys at the dealership are not the best ones around so they said: "No! You must have kerbed your rim somewhere", there was no point in arguing. I'm getting my rims painted in black anyway, so they'll repair them at the same time. Oh well ;)

Oh and singlespeed, thanks for your advice, you were thinking in the right direction ;) Cheers for that as I did mention it to the guys and that was the first thing they checked!