Dodgy wheel bolts - comming loose

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeed

Reaction score
Hopefully this is an isolated case

After having the tyres changed earlier today, i re-checked the torque of the wheel bolts and a few of them moved a bit. However, two of them moved more than half a turn without reaching the 105Nm torque.

Fearing the worst of stripped threads in the hub, I took the wheel off and checked the hub threads which were fine. But I noticed the bolts had started to neck and there was a noticable difference in thread pitch where the bolts had stretched!

A quick call, just before the dealers closed should see the set of bolts replaced in the morning.

singlespeed":2hhpnu70 said:
Fearing the worst of stripped threads in the hub, I took the wheel off and checked the hub threads which were fine. But I noticed the bolts had started to neck and there was a noticable difference in thread pitch where the bolts had stretched!

i bet you could take your wheel bolts to 100 main dealers and at least 90% of them wouldnt even check them they'd just say "needs new ones"!!
if fact id go as far as to say some wouldnt even no how/what to check!

there was a twingo recall regaurding wheel bolts, il try and dig it out 2moz if u want.

TURBO":1xbix4fm said:
singlespeed":1xbix4fm said:

i bet you could take your wheel bolts to 100 main dealers and at least 90% of them wouldnt even check them they'd just say "needs new ones"!!
if fact id go as far as to say some wouldnt even no how/what to check!

there was a twingo recall regaurding wheel bolts, il try and dig it out 2moz if u want.

I've been having a look for a reference to the wheel bolt recall, but not found anything yet. Although it obviously has been an issue as you, Al and others know about it. If you could dig it out, that would be great, as it may be needed.

If this has been a problem before and the Gordini is a relatively new build, obviously something is still wrong :cry: May be tempted to fit some bolts from a different manufacturer, as how good will the replacements be :?:

TURBO":ly4hbtlz said:
id go as far as to say some wouldnt even no how/what to check!

How and what to check for damage on a bolt. You could get out the vernier callipers and measure the thread pitch, however the easiest way for most of us would be to compare two bolts against each other.

Heres two new bolts. As you can see, the threads intermesh with each other allong the length of the threads.
_DSC9228.jpg

Here, the top bolt is the good one. As you can see, the threads intermesh for a bit, then don't go together anymore as the thread pitch has become longer on the bottom bolt due to it being stretched.
_DSC9231.jpg

Probably not far off snapping as the tightening force was reducing
_DSC9232.jpg

What's the cause?

Is it because they've been over-tightened with a wheel-gun...

... or just because they're made of soft cheese instead of hard metal???

Dairylea cheese :lol:

The local dealers were adamant they had been overtightened, but the local tyre place set and use a torque wrench for every car. Also, I set my torque wrench to 105Nm to re-check the bolts when I got home. (I actualy checked the calibration of my torque wrench with a spring balance this morning and it was prety much spot on at 30Kg actual force, compared to 30.5kg calculated for the 105Nm breaking torque)

It's a bit odd that it was just a couple that were significantly loose/stretching, when they were all allegedly overtightened.

Having had a chat with Karl, he mentioned that after the recall, the replacement bolts for RS bolts for anthracite wheels are actualy coloured anthracite. Has me wondering if the metal spec for the Gordinis silver bolts is different.

A replacement set of bolts is coming over from the salesman in Inverness renult :) Interesting to see if they are silver or anthracite. I'll be keeping a close eye on them anyway :roll:

Silver bolt 8200473353 as fitted to my RS133 Gordini
Grey bolt 402229810R as fitteed to the RS133 after the recall

I have just asked a question to the 'experts' on the Renault Sport site, asking if there is a difference in metal spec as well as a difference in colour. I'll wait and see if anything comes back from that

After chatting with a few people im told the last picture would be cause by using a air gun on the bolts. Im told you should never do up bolts with a air gun, only by hand and finish of the tightening with a torque wrench.

Twingogeekeo":1b5vdjw8 said:
After chatting with a few people im told the last picture would be cause by using a air gun on the bolts. Im told you should never do up bolts with a air gun, only by hand and finish of the tightening with a torque wrench.
When the tyres were replaced, the bolts were installed using an air wrench, but only on a low setting which goes to about 70Nm, then torqued to manufacturers spec which was 105Nm for the twingo. I'm currently at the renault garage that insisted the bolts were overtorqued with an impact wrench.... Guess what they use to install the bolts. Yes, it's an impact gun, but battery powered.

Gordini spec silver bolts have been sent :? VXR220 bolts may be on the cards as replacements soon

singlespeed":2xh9i3uy said:
Twingogeekeo":2xh9i3uy said:
When the tyres were replaced, the bolts were installed using an air wrench, but only on a low setting which goes to about 70Nm, then torqued to manufacturers spec which was 105Nm for the twingo. I'm currently at the renault garage that insisted the bolts were overtorqued with an impact wrench.... Guess what they use to install the bolts. Yes, it's an impact gun, but battery powered.

Gordini spec silver bolts have been sent :? VXR220 bolts may be on the cards as replacements soon

Has the gun got AAA batterys ;)

Im only saying what im told mate to help you fight your cornour

Back home with 14 new bolts fitted.

Apparently, the two locking bolts at the front had also stretched but they didn't have a replacement set, so just normal bolts in the front for now. New locking bolts on order.

AAA batteries :lol: most battery powered impact guns can get way beyond 100Nm

I actualy bumped into the tyre fitter whilst heading to the Renault garage this afternoon, so showed him the bolts. He has been a fitter for 20+ years and he was surprised to see the bolts stretched as he is certain he didn't over torque them, or do anything different to the other cars he torques up.

Went in earlier today, expecting to get the two locking bolts fitted. A little bit surprised to find it was booked in for a whole set of replacement bolts and lockers, with the ones now fitted being the grey bolts 402229810R as fitted to the RS133 after the recall

Happy again, so maybe a proper drive again tomorrow :)