Drivers to be banned from keeping uninsured cars offroad

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Reaction score
Just read this on the Telegraph website. Seems like the Government have found another way to con money out of innocent car owners. Basically, if you own a car and it's not insured, the authorities will have the power to detain the car and crush it unless insurance is applied to the vehicle within a set amount of days.

I think it's frankly shocking, as some people own their cars uninsured because they can't afford to insure them or plan to insure them when they have taken their driving test, etc. So even if the car is just going to be garaged or not used, or repaired, or whatever, it still has to be insured?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/824 ... -road.html

Thats stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy a project car with no engine till you done the work take 3 years to do and the car goes no where !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder about track day cars.

That's fuckin joke , I put my car off the road so I don't mess it up in the snow and don't insure it for 6 months ... This countries a load of crap fuel up, food up , insurance up, tax / vat up no wonder people don't insure cars and we don't get payrises to counter the rises do we......

Plus like Karl ses what about project cars .. I have a mini I'm doing an engine conversion on I'd say another 2 years in the garage so will I have to insure this ... They can **** right off

Yeah I did think about project cars. It's just another pathetic way for them to make dosh.

Edit: I've just read, if the vehicle is SORN (Statutory off-road notification) declared, they can't touch it. It's just if it's uninsured they will seize it.

what a load of w**k :evil: :evil:
its bad enough that i have to pay stupid amounts of tax just to keep a car on the road outside my house.

how will this work for traders??i have traders insurance so are they going to try and take my cars that arnt on the policy????

Sam":1t16zup9 said:
Edit: I've just read, if the vehicle is SORN (Statutory off-road notification) declared, they can't touch it. It's just if it's uninsured they will seize it.

Ah thats ok then .. kind of. :evil:

Sources at the Department for Transport (DfT) claim that the move will help reduce the £30 estimated annual cost to every responsible motorists in additional premiums to cover crashes involving uninsured drivers

Well if it knocks 30 quid off my premium, I'll not be complaining :idea:

Looks like it means that if it's taxed it needs to be insured. If you don't want to insure it for whatever reason you would need to cancel the Tax and declare SORN.

Quote from article: "Under the new offence of keeping a vehicle while uninsured, the onus will be on drivers to prove that they have insurance, or have completed a statutory off-road notification."

Anything that helps keep uninsured drivers off the road is a good thing, I've been hit by one in the past, it's a nightmare.

Would you get a partial refund on the tax if you declared SORN, since you hadn't used up all of the tax yet? When I traded in my Punto I'm sure I was eligible, but it was only something silly like £5 so I decided not to bother lol, as the tax was to expire in a few weeks anyway.

Lol - nothing has changed, this has always been the case. If its not SORN its classified as being 'on the road' so therefore should be taxed, insured and have an MOT [if applicable], even if on private land. SORN basically means not to be used on public roads and it isnt difficult to fill one out! So as long as you SORN your track/project car, you dont need to tax, insure or MOT it. Yes you do get a refund on Tax paid after the end of the current month up to expiry of the disc. The article just explains how they are cracking down on people who dont fill in SORNs and so are technically uninsured

this doesnt help the traders insurance tho because if a cars taxed it can be driven where as if this is passed then the car will need some insurance too????

Im sure traders exemptions will continue. Traders arnt required to have tax I thought if using trade plates

trade plates dont need tax but traders insurance requires the car to b taxed

Then why have tax exemption on trade plates if it needs to be taxed for insurance?! How do you qualify for trade plates? Is it a garage/servicing operation or sales your referring to?

traders insurance is a totally diff thing to trade plates

Fair enough, I dont know either way lol I just knew there was tax exemption on trade plates. I dont know what qualifies you to have them or their insurance implications. All I know is that the law seems to be placing greater enforcement on the requirement to get a SORN done

Steve-o":2jrebpmq said:
Lol - nothing has changed, this has always been the case. If its not SORN its classified as being 'on the road' so therefore should be taxed, insured and have an MOT [if applicable], even if on private land. SORN basically means not to be used on public roads and it isnt difficult to fill one out! So as long as you SORN your track/project car, you dont need to tax, insure or MOT it. Yes you do get a refund on Tax paid after the end of the current month up to expiry of the disc. The article just explains how they are cracking down on people who dont fill in SORNs and so are technically uninsured

Previously, you could leave a car uninsured on your driveway or in your garage if you weren't going to use it.
But what happened, people decided to drive their cars around with no insurance, causing major issues with insurance claims during accidents. So now they are saying you have to SORN your car if you are definitely not going to be using it on the road. This will presumably, help the authorities catch the ones that drive wrecklessy with no insurance.

Re: the trade plates. They are insured with dealer insurance, so when cars are taken on test drives etc, the test-driver has to sign an agreement to say they would pay the excess in the event of an accident in which was your fault. I only know this from when I test-drove the Twingo this time last year. :)

So if anything its just an extension of that to make sure there are less uninsured drivers, surely cant be a bad thing?!

Steve-o":26heaj76 said:
So if anything its just an extension of that to make sure there are less uninsured drivers, surely cant be a bad thing?!

Well, in theory, it should ensure that there are no uninsured drivers!
Not such a bad thing now I've researched it more! :p