Engine area whine between idle and approx 2000 revs

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 980

Reaction score
My car has developed a whining sound that happens when travelling at low speeds in the rev range between idle to approx 2000.

It happens permanently and not a one off.

no noises on idle.

Cambelt, aux belt etc was all changed 7 months ago due to a faulty waterpump. No whining until about a month ago

the best thing to do would be open the bonnet and listen in for the noise to give us an indication of roughly where in the engine it may be coming from. the aux belt may have been changed, but a whole host of things could go wrong with the auxiliary's themselves dude such as the A/C clutch so on so forth. alot of whining noises you can drive through and they'll get so high pitched that you won't hear them untill you come back down to idle. remove the aux belt and run the car very briefly for 20 seconds, if the noise goes away then you know your problem lays within the auxiliary system. and then with the car turned off, spin the pulleys and listen for any abnormal noise.

as it's a noise that fluctuates with a limited RPM, it's got to be something to do with one of the auxiliary system. sucks that i can't be there to point at something and shout at it for you mark :D

one other thing to do with the alternator. a good old test that i sometimes use to see if an alternators humped is i will run the engine under load (2-3,000 rpm ironically) with the lights on and listen to the noise it's making (electrical whining noise that's not supposed to be there) then i will do it with the headlights and radio etc off and if it changes then bingo! although this could just be a bad earth on the alternator itself

Yeah the type of noise would point to the aux belt.

It's not high pitched or anything just a deepish whine that is kind of in tune with the engine if you get me haha.

Okay so aux belt off, briefly run it, then spin by hand. Can you reuse the aux belt once it's been taken off?

offcourse dude. you could take it off a billion times if you wish well in theory lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UY35PUdv2c this guys a bit corny, but i done a quick google search about taking the belt off to listen for engine noises etc and this link came up. wizzed through it and it appears he does the very same thing, so the old trade trick appears to be safe enough. best to maybe give it a watch though mate

Will do. Should be fun. Hopefully renault replaced the tensioners when they did the job

technical-stuff-f120/k4m-auxiliary-belt-replacement-t11607.html

use this to remove the aux belt and to put it back on. obviously if the noise persists then it's most probably going to be something on the timing (cam belt) belt side of things. it could be an indication that somethings too tight on either belt. if it's the aux belt then you'll have caught it in good time. when the aux belts too tight, it over stressed the bearing in the aux pulleys etc which as you'll know from the sound of a wheel bearing on it's way out (as you said, a deep grumbling noise) it can be saved.