EPS

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miner154

Reaction score
I have to say Renault have done a pretty good job of the Electric Power Steering.
This is the 2nd car I've had with EPS the last one (Honda Civic) was the main bad point it really lacked feel and in the wet could be pretty scary as you felt a bit too remote from the front wheels and it was set up with a bias to oversteer couldn't totally make you fell at ease.

EPS is lighter and in theory should last longer than hydraulic power steering.

In fact I keep forgetting it has EPS so full mark to Renault

Has a bit of feel to the road and not as light as a feather. You can feel you are going round corners and not floating

I personally prefer no power steering at all, future plans involve removing the electric assistance when it becomes a track car.

Steve-o":34ihtpu1 said:
I personally prefer no power steering at all, future plans involve removing the electric assistance when it becomes a track car.

i agree quick rack all the way :mrgreen:
also steve u should get a fair bit of cash if u sell all those bits for spares!!

i must admit the renault system does seem to work well

Will all be coming out when I get company car/allowance for another car and the track beast is created. I'm not letting on too much yet, but I may be asking TURBO for advice at some point. ;)

will get details of which fuse your need to remove to take ot off when me car goes back into garage later

Steve-o":177uwvoq said:

Yes absolutley for a track car, but that set up is all a bit 1980s for a road car, not too bad if they clock in at 800kg or less but modern cars are way too heavy for olde worlde steering :lol:

The hydraulic steering in my Peugeot GTi was much better than either the EP3 Civics or the Twingo TBH. However it did fail under warranty like quite a few things. Pretty poorly built was the Pug. Lots of grip but the Chassis was nowhere near as good as the Civics or the Twingos which is just fun even in an urban setting at 30 MPH

Matt":7mu22xnd said:
All the mags praise RS for making EPS feel "right". :)

Its a bit vague at less than 30 MPH but once you hit 30 MPH it weights up nicely the Civic was pretty vague below 60 so does that make the Twingo twice as good a a Type R :lol:

miner154":19svidlq said:
Steve-o":19svidlq said:

Yes absolutley for a track car, but that set up is all a bit 1980s for a road car, not too bad if they clock in at 800kg or less but modern cars are way too heavy for olde worlde steering :lol:

Agreed - but why does a car this small have to weigh over a ton?

My old AX GT weighed about 750kg, and was the same size as the Twingo. Had 85bhp from a carburreted 1360cc engine, and was just as quick as the RS and handled beautifully with unassisted steering. And it had full electrics, central locking etc, so not a stripped out racer.

Yes the AX would have not been very good in a crash.
They could make the Twingo RS sub 1000KG but the cost would greatly increase if they used aluminium/carbon fibre etc to drop weight. Bet the Gordini is 1100 KG with all it's gubbins on.

My Civic (EP3) was 1190 KG the aircon one was 1204kg and the New Civic Type R (FN2) is 1265 KG is standard and 1350(?) KG in GT trim

That's just far too porky for a Hot Hatch IMO, same as sticking a 2.5 L engine in the Focus, too heavy front end

miner154":haxbdh48 said:
That's just far too porky for a Hot Hatch IMO, same as sticking a 2.5 L engine in the Focus, too heavy front end

thats one of the only ways they could help get some of the power down ;)

afew mags have done the new vs old hot hatch tests and 90% of the time the old will win due to the power/weight ratio but then most people who own a newer hot hatch dont really buy them for speed its more for show with the fact they could go faster while sitting in there full leather heated seat with the radio blasting and the a/c on ;) :mrgreen:

TURBO":mckxn2rf said:
miner154":mckxn2rf said:

thats one of the only ways they could help get some of the power down ;)

afew mags have done the new vs old hot hatch tests and 90% of the time the old will win due to the power/weight ratio but then most people who own a newer hot hatch dont really buy them for speed its more for show with the fact they could go faster while sitting in there full leather heated seat with the radio blasting and the a/c on ;) :mrgreen:

TBH only Renault have made a effort al along the line with the exception of theMegane Coupe from the 90s from people I know who had them

The line is second to none

R5GT
19 16v
Clio 16v
Clio Williams
Clio 172/182
Clio 197/200
Twingo RS
Megane 225 and all it's many long named versions
New Megane - not heard too much about this one

But that's one damned fine heritage

Any other maker even come close?

TripleJay":685uwu9e said:
But, if I had to be in a crash, id prefer twingo over AX, obviously

True enough - my AX was made of spit and tissue-paper, with a plastic boot lid and an Aluminium block engine.

True story: in about 1992, Citroen's marketing department decided they needed an AX GTi to compete "properly" in the hot hatch market. So they added fuel injection (the original AX GT was carburettor-fed - ask your dad if you don't know...). That upped the power to 105bhp from the original 85bhp. To take the extra power, they had to use an Iron block instead of Aluminium. To take the extra weight of the new engine they had to beef up the suspension, adding more weight. To stop the extra weight, they had to add bigger brakes which added even more weight. Net result was that the GTi was actually slower 0-60 than the original GT. So what did they do? They de-tuned the GT to 75bhp so that the GTi was the better-performer.

Moral of the story - never trust the marketing people...