fitting benen tow hook

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar

Reaction score
as requested by GhostZ, here is a basic thread for anyone who is keen to do something that little bit different!

this is how it comes out of the box
benen_yesss.jpg

due to the small space between the tow hook itself and the bumper, you can't mount this the way you would want to unless you cut the tow hook off and put one on that sits much lower down so that you can mount this sideyways like normal.

you take the benen tow hook and place it on top of the cars rear tow hook, place the backing plate at the bottom of it (or the other way around, its your own preferance really) so that at least one of the bolts is through the centre of the cars tow hook and then with a spanner holding the top nut in place, tighten the bottom nut so that both the backing plate and benen tow hook tighten in a clamping motion around the cars tow hook like below.
2013_11_04_16_23_56.jpg

2013_11_04_16_24_43.jpg

2013_10_12_13_03_56.jpg

a very simple install, great for those of you who like an aggressive rear end!

Scozer":3d9xvmyg said:
Looks like a rear cup holder :p

great way to test suspension settings. see how much each can of irn bru looses on different coilovers :D

Serious question, can you not get pulled over for that? That sticks out quiet a bit

strictly any modification be it the ktec exhaust or some corbeau seats is illegal, although it's not really my place to say why because i don't agree with or acknowledge it as do most police officers and insurance companies (which is why even though strictly illegal under the constructions and use act, modifications can be declared and the other eye turned whilst remaining insured) so i'd need to say yes i could strictly get pulled. but i won't be pulled :)

Tow Hooks Reasons for Rejection

A towbar component insecure, fractured or excessively worn, corroded or damaged.
Towbar assembly is attached to the vehicle structure using a mounting, support or fixing which is obviously of an inappropriate size or type.
- retaining device missing or insecure
- locking device missing, insecure, inadequate or damaged to the extent that its operation is impaired.
- excessive play between a detachable tow ball and its receiver socket
- a quick release mechanism that does not secure the tow ball arm as intended.
- a locating or swivel pin missing or insecure
- excessive play or wear in a locating or swivel pin or bracket
- a locating or swivel pin retaining device missing or insecure.
- any deliberate modification, excessive corrosion, damage, fracture or inadequate repair of a load bearing structure or supporting panelling within 30cm of the towbar mountings, which affects its strength to the extent that the security of attachment of the towbar is significantly reduced

Isnt all that for ball or hook trailer hitches. Theres nothing specific for emergency towing/tie down points, just the general bodywork condition criteria which can cover sharp protrusions and edges

you're probably right neil, i really only done a quick google there! will certainly be the last tow related google i do though as i couldn't care for wether i get pulled over or not :) probably better for someone who's into caravaning and whatnot who's in the know about tow hooks to answer marks question

:cool: green wheels, purple tow hook, loud exhaust and bucket seats whod want to pull that over? :D it was so funny trying to declare it to the insurance, the guy had to google it and he still didn't know what it was. got passed on to another guy who knew what the tow hook was, but he thought on a twingo? tail between my legs