Gearbox problems?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddwarf152

Reaction score
Hi has any had any issues with the reliability of the twingo rs gearbox.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yet to have a problem with the gearbox, the gearbox mount collapsed but getting gears hasn't been a problem. Mine is only on 55k though

Mine was not the smoothest changing gear - 63k miles.

Changed the gear oil last week and the difference is night and day. A good improvement.

Fair enough mine seems very very loud like a rumble all the time that just gets more high pitched.

Took it my local renault dealer and they seem to think it needs a new gearbox/diff.

I got an extension on the warranty so don't have to pay for any of it.
Just wanted to see if any one else had any major problems.

But at least i get a new gearbox/diff and don't have to pay for it.

Good news Renault are covering it. What age and mileage is she?

Only had a problem with the mount pin snapping. Though when I changed my gear oil there was barely any to drain out! Good job I changeded it really been fine 35,000 miles later. Also I updated the dogbone mount to vibratecnics this does increase the gearbox whine slightly but it's nothing to worry about.

Well if they find anything else. I'll. Post it here. It's booked in ok the 11th for a week so I'll get a loan car.

They advised me not to use it untill then lucky iv got a motorbike to use instead.

Just as an aside I've ordered 5L of Millers 75W80 from Opie Oils (£35 delivered) and will replace my gearbox oil over the weekend. Mine is changing fine but I just like tinkering - will feedback on the process once done.

Does the gearbox drain plug take the same 8mm square socket as the oil sump plug?

Many thanks.

Cleggy.

just make sure you undo the plastic nut to fill first before draining out the bottom plug. Renaults oil is elf NFJ 75w 80 3 litres can be had off eBay for 26 quid, I'd recommend all owners to change it. You wouldn't leave engine oil in for the life of the car makes a difference to smoother changes too.

Cup RS 133":3aa18nup said:
just make sure you undo the plastic nut to fill first before draining out the bottom plug. Renaults oil is elf NFJ 75w 80 3 litres can be had off eBay for 26 quid, I'd recommend all owners to change it. You wouldn't leave engine oil in for the life of the car makes a difference to smoother changes too.

Thanks bud, couldn't agree more that changing all fluids periodically is important. I've ordered the Miller gear oil (same spec) and will do it next weekend. Car due a service in 2500 miles and I'll ask the garage to do coolant, diff and brake fluids then.

Ive now had/got 3 twingo RS still got one gordini 133 and a cup 133. All the gearboxes are good. I tend to change the gearbox oil every 2 or 3 years. even after that short time the difference is noticeable. I do not believe in lifetime oils. I *always* use Elf NFJ oils.