Gordini RS Cup Front suspension questions.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmonkey

Reaction score
I have a Gordini RS with Cup suspension.
I need to replace the front dampers as one is goosed.
Will I have to buy genuine Renault Cup dampers to match the Cup spring rate or can anyone recommend another option since they are very expensive?! :(
Probably due to the worn damper, one of the front suspension top mounts has gone.
Again, I will replace both, again would you replace them with genuine Renault or can anyone recommend a suitable replacement or upgrade?

Thanks

Chris

You can buy the topmount kit (includes both bearing and rubber) from Euro car parts for £25 per side, its a Corteco item (AFAIK owned by SKF which is OEM standard) part number to enter into their website is 609745170.

As far as the damper choice, bear in mind the springs are rated as only being "10%" stiffer and 4mm lower, with such a minor increase in spring rate and miniscule difference in ride height I would seriously consider fitting the Cup springs with the standard "sport" dampers instead. Although I don't have direct experience driving with such a setup but I wouldn't fear carrying it out due to the minor differences over standard Sport springs. If I remember correctly the Sport shock comes in at around £55 each as opposed to £150 each for Cups, so for the price of two new front Cup dampers you could replace all four corners with the Sport suspension and fit the Cup springs on them. In my opinion having tested the Sport setup and owning Cup setup on a 30k car the Sport setup is superior in a wider range of road conditions so imo better for real world roads. Put simply the Cup dampers are good, but IMO no way are they are they worth £100+ more in terms of "performance gain" over the sport setup.

A final alternative, considering a full set of Cup dampers would cost £600+, for that money I would simply choose the superior Bilstein B14 coilover kit, £660 https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/renault/renault-twingo/suspension/renault-twingo-mk2-bilstein-b14-coilover-kit-1-6-16v-rs-133.html . Significantly better than the Cup setup in terms of bang for buck. Call Kam Racing for more info.

+1 agreed with everything what AMS says get the standard sport shocks if it's the just the shocks which are gone but if springs have snapped I'd get the bilstein kit

Thanks both of you, that's great advice. Hadn't realised the difference was so small between cup and sport. Will order those and the top mounts tomorrow :D

Picking up RS shocks from dealer and Corteco top mounts from ECP today. ECP have a mid month 20% discount offer so got two top mounts for £42
Thanks again for the tips guys

Let us know what difference it makes probly be tighter than the cup dampers to begin with if yours were kaput something I'll consider doing if mine need replacing or if I have the funds get the bilstein kit hope u get your rs up and running mint again quickly :)