Gt coilovers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayden-b-

Reaction score
Anybody know of any cheap coil overs for the gt other than weitecs? Or wether would be better off just getting springs?

why coilovers?

Unless you are wanting to change the ride height regularly, or get it properly corner weighted and need mm adjustment, theres no need. Besides, if you were corner weighting, you wouldn't be asking for cheap. The only benefit would be the shorter shock length if you want a big drop.

Cheap coilovers will probably have a normal shock on the rear, with an adjustable spring platform to raise/lower the back end... Hence a shorter stiffer spring to accomodate the platform and hence a harder ride.

On the front, you will likely get a harsh ride due to the spring being much stiffer than required, to take account of the lower ride settings being usable.

I put Weitec GT coilovers on my Audi and wish i had just gone for decent springs.

Cheap Coilovers are false economy!

I agree with Neill here, why coilovers?

There are loads of decent spring companies out there, if the worst comes to worst then there are always plenty of suspension engineering places you can go to if you wanted a bigger drop that other springs, or get the standard ones rewound like Sharpy :)

AP also do coilovers, same as the Weitec, engineered by KW.

weitec-hicon-gt_4_2_1_1.jpg

A quick explanation why coilovers tend to be firm. Looking at the above pic, each shock has two springs on it, the thick main spring and the thin helper spring at the top.

In reality, proper coilovers for motorsport use would be specificaly ordered for the application, where the ride height and axle loading and required suspension travel was know. Hence, shocks of the correct length and stroke could be specified. Hence springs of the correct free length (inches) and rating (Pounds per inch) could be ordered, so they fit in the shock and give the correct ride height within the adjustment range of the platform, without becoming loose if the wheel goes to full droop.

However for the general road kits, which have coils over the shock, hence now refered to as coilovers, having a large range of height adjustment for the end user... euro chav look, up to amature gravel stage rally use, the spring rating becomes an issue as the one size fits all spring is needed. Being as this doesnt exist, they use two. The stiff main spring is there to support the weight but must be short enough to get the vehicle low down when the adjustment is near fully down. Also, at this point, it must be stiff enough to prevent the vehicle from bottoming out, hence a need for a relatively high rating, so is supports more pounds when compressed another inch.

A short stiff spring would become loose if the wheel was unloaded, hence the helper spring which has a long free length to take up the slack, but a very low rating so it will be fully compressed before weight is fully on the suspension. So, unless you want to go realy low, you are sacrificing a lot of free spring length for the unused adjustment and the inch taken for the helper, where you could have specified a longer spring, with a lower rating to get a better ride.

All in all, unless your going to go realy low, do it properly and get the likes of ATS to spec the springs for your requirements, or work it out yourself, or dont bother and just fit springs instead and have a lot of cash leftover :roll:

i got some 40mm drop springs by Spaxx in red.. just in my house in a box as i can't have them fitted :( i got a new twingo so my warranty would be affected if i fitted them and i think ide rather be safe than sorry and buy them some time in the future with some alloys too :) For the right price there yours?

How much mate? As I don't know how much they are, and loving the look of your twingo I was thinking of going stealth and thanks for the response

Hmm, well looking at brand new spaxx springs with 40mm drop they usually sell for about £120 I think, they are perfectly fine and had only 2 months use so ide say they were almost new.. I can probably give you them posted for £90? depending where you live ofcourse :D Will be properly boxed and well protected.. Where abouts you from and thanks for the comment :) mine isn't a gt :(