Hello from a convert

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngsan

Reaction score
Hi thought I would say "Hi" to everyone

I am guessing I am probably not your typical Twingo 133 owner (45 years old). When I bought it I had come from the Japanese performance scene - had just sold my Integra Type R DC5 in July this year and wanted a fun modern car with some practicality - considered everything from an Evo to a diesel van etc, but went to test drive one of these and loved it. The first couple of months, I really wasnt sure I had done the right thing and catching up with a few of my friends with Hondas, considered selling it and getting something different. However now I really am starting to enjoy it - it does everything i want and does it well too. Did it take other people a while to 'gel' with the Twingo? :? mine is a Black 133 RS with the Cup Suspension on a 59 plate.

I had been into Japanese cars for around 6-7 years and have always been a petrol head - started off with classic cars like a triumph dolomite sprint and then got really into the Yank/Hot Rod car scene owning the following: 1970 barracuda, 1971 Tans am with a full tube chassis and glass fibre body, which was running 8.8sec 1/4 mile times before i turned it into a street car, 3 other trans am's and a couple of rodded classic cars.

I then got involved in the Porsche scene - owned a couple of 944's, a heavily modified 924 and a RUF built 911, which was very quick and quite rare.

I have had 6 or 7 fiestas, a couple of peugeots inc a very nice 306 Rallye (which my ex-wife kindly decided she would like ) in between the more performance orientated cars, usually due to financial reasons and 2 ex-wives!

Then I got hooked on Japanese cars after a pal took me out in his Evo VII. I owned a Celica vvti M Sport, a Mazda RX-7 FD, a Honda EJ coupe, a fairly well modded Civic Type R EP3 in between 2 Integra Type R DC2's, one of which was very heavily modified, and finally my last Integra Type R DC5 (the honda's just seemed much more practical than the turbo'd side of things). The Twingo reminds a lot of the Honda's - similar technology i guess with variable valve timing.

Motorsport wise, I love Drag Racing and go over to Finland for the Nitro Nationals, Norway to Gardemoen in August and occasionally visit Santa Pod (must be the Hot Rod blood in me ) - I am not really into circuit racing, (sorry to all you track guys) as I find it a little boring, but do enjoy anything to do with cars.

I go over to Japan 2 or 3 times a year - once for the Autosalon and the rest of the time because I love the place.

Anyhow - hope to catch up with some of you guys soon - take it easy.

Saul :)

Welcome aboard mate, also sounds like you've had a colourful car history! Which is always interesting to hear about, get some pics up of your past and present motor! :)

Also, if you're impressed with the Twingo, then that's pretty high praise as it sounds like you've had a real variety of cars.

Welcome mate

Looks like you have good history with cars and dont worry about your age i know there are a few older guys then the lot of us and everyone is welcome.

Have to say i use to have a 1981 Toyota Starlet so i know why you loved Jap cas then i left that and fell in love with the French hot hatchs all renault more then likely as i work for Renault :lol:

your not that old dude, my old mans 65 odd and shares being the oldest to do track days at French Car Show and RenSports track days.
seems the 50 age is the sweet spot at Santa Pod for the hotrod boys, been with he twingo. if you havent been with it yet. good fun as the car has the ability to take any car off the line for the first 2 odd seconds then their turbos kick in :(
whats your plans on the twingo, keeping it stock of is that hotrod blood going to wash over the car?

Whoa that's some car history! Seems strange to come form those sort of cars to a Twingo but I guess it ticked all the right boxes :)

Welcome!

youngsan":21rod5qh said:
I am guessing I am probably not your typical Twingo 133 owner (45 years old).

Saul,

Welcome aboard - and thank God I've got some company in the Old Farts Brigade at last...

I'm glad you've stuck it out with the Twingo - I think in the "real world" these little hot hatches are one of the best kept secrets around. Point-to-point they're as quick as anything, cheap to insure and run, practical and well-behaved. And as you said, GREAT FUN. Who could ask for more? :geek:

See you around,

Gavin (48 years old)