How To Make Your Own Penetrating Oil (beats WD-40!!!!!!!!!!)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar

Reaction score
below is how much torque is required to remove a rusted seized bolt with different so called 'penetrating fluids'.

Penetrant: Average Load:
none 516 ft lbs
WD40 238
PB Blaster 214
Liquid Wrench 127
Kano Kroil 106
ATF-Acetone mix 53

you will need :

1 of these
CAN2_1.jpg

a small bottle of acetone (£4 on ebay.)
a small bottle of Automatic Transmission Fluid (£4 on ebay)

mix to a 1:1 ratio (50/50), shake well before use as they aren't designed to mix. DO NOT USE ON PAINTED SURFACES!!!! .... WHEEL BOLTS / ENGINE BOLTS, CALIPER BOLTS ETC only! anything that is out of contact from paint. acetone strips paint! it is it's job after all

enjoy ;)

WD40 is not a penetrating oil - it's used more for cleaning electrical contacts and preventing water ingress - common mistake / myth. ;)

Spitfire1":31oabe6h said:
WD40 is not a penetrating oil - it's used more for cleaning electrical contacts and preventing water ingress - common mistake / myth. ;)

whoever thought 'hey i'm going to use this as a penetrating oil' really deserves a slap in the clavicle. i don't know what the clavicle is other than it's a bone!

lol! a random slap for a random myth i suppose

;)
oscar":2fi9lz2o said:
Spitfire1":2fi9lz2o said:

whoever thought 'hey i'm going to use this as a penetrating oil' really deserves a slap in the clavicle. i don't know what the clavicle is other than it's a bone!

lol! a random slap for a random myth i suppose
I tell you the worst offender - Mike Brewer and his mate, now they do need hitting with some kind of bone :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do use gallons of the stuff cleaning the engine bay and any parts that's needs a little protection for a short term, long term it's grease :shock: or waxoyl

I use wd40 as a metal on metal lube... Like door hinges to sort those squeaks etc. Would that be a correct use for it?

Acetone is also used in nail varnish remover. Don't but any buy just use your female counter part (if you have one) use nail varnish remover ;)

*waits on someone to make a sex / cheap alcohol joke relating to penetrating fluid*

nobody? :p