HOW TO: Retro fit Cruise control

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrabroslav

Reaction score
I've decided to retro fit cruise control into my 2011 Twingo RS.

After some digging this is what I found out so far:

For cruise control to work you need:
- Cruise control / Speed limiter switch
- Clutch sensor
- Cruise control control buttons

In my car Cruise control / Speed limiter switch wiring was already installed behind a dummy switch, so I just ordered OEM switch from Renault for 19€:
img0346.jpg
img0342.jpg

Clutch sensor was already installed:
img0343.jpg

Clutch sensor is 8€ from ebay and I believe all cars have wiring already in place.

Now for Cruise control control buttons things become complicated because on Twingo these switches are found on steering wheel and are not detachable, so you have to swap the whole steering wheel + airbag. As this is quite pricey (I was looking at used ones for ~300€) I decided to make my own buttons.

This is the diagram for them:
screenshot-8.png

For Cruise control you need four buttons: R, O, + and -. In steering column there are two wires for it, white and orange one.

On top of the steering column there is a 10pin connector but there are only 4 wires present. 2 on the bottom (orange and purple pair) are for Airbags and two on the top (orange and white pair) are for the CC control buttons. It's tricky to get the connector off because it seems the mount for rev meter was additionaly welded on.

img0366.jpg

img0367.jpg

Cut the wires or remove them from original connector and connect the buttons on them as per wiring diagram above.

Here is my temporary button placement for the test drive. I still have to decide what exactly I'll do with them. Position is perfect I just have to enclose them. Or I'll just paint them black and properly secure them. They are invisible anyway.

img0368.jpg

So when I wired all this things cruise control started working without aditional things to do. But dashboard lights aren't turning on so I'll be visiting a friend with CLIP to see if we can activate them somehow.

I might look into this as when I had my steering wheel apart, there was an extra cable/plug connection sat there which is obviously for cruise control

I'll be opening steering wheel next week, today I managed to remove the bottom plastic cover, but as I'm not at home, I didn't have any tools to unscrew the rev counter so I could remove top plastic cover too. I managed to sneak a peak at the wires and I think I located ones in question but couldn't take a picture as I was looking at them through a tiny hole with a dental mirror :D.

Really looking forward to seeing this finished, especially your own arrangement for the switches. The wiring diagram looks surprisingly simple, presumably + and - have to be momentary?

I managed to recieve all things today so I decided to finish it. IT WORKS!!!! :) (well cruise control and speed limiter (yes I actually tested speed limiter) work but dashboard lights aren't working for it yet so you have to do it blindly).

I just temporary hotglued switches in place so I could go on a test drive but I really like the location because they are easly clickable (yes + and - are momentary). I'll see what exactly I'll do with them.

I took the lower fascia off mine earlier and it looks as if the wiring for the switch is in place on my 09 car and I definitely have that blue plug - the clutch sensor - too I think. Could you out a link to where you got the switches from? This looks like a really good solution as I have always found speed limiter very useful. Can you confirm that putting your foot flat to the floor overrides the CC and limiter too? I really look forward to seeing if you can activate the dashboard lights with CLIP although I'm not sure where they would come up on my pre-facelift car

Just snapped this up on eBay, looked too good to be true for £40...I guess they won't dispatch tomorrow so please do point it out if it's not right!! My existing boss and airbag will just clip on won't they? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181291320477?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D181291320477%26_rdc%3D1

Will this switch fit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Renault-Megane-Sport-225-2-0-Cruise-Control-Switch-Button-/321428485563?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ad6a175bb

Also, does the speedo readout flash when you overspeed either CC or the limiter?

Edit: damn, just realised from pics online that there is no way my boss and airbag will fit. Knew it was too good to be true!!

gotchiguy":3o37ytm3 said:
I took the lower fascia off mine earlier and it looks as if the wiring for the switch is in place on my 09 car and I definitely have that blue plug - the clutch sensor - too I think. Could you out a link to where you got the switches from? This looks like a really good solution as I have always found speed limiter very useful. Can you confirm that putting your foot flat to the floor overrides the CC and limiter too? I really look forward to seeing if you can activate the dashboard lights with CLIP although I'm not sure where they would come up on my pre-facelift car

I've ordered CC/SL switch at local Renault service, and I had the control switches laying around.

SL is overriden if you floor the pedal, CC is overriden when you press the pedal more than what CC powers it at the moment.

gotchiguy":3o37ytm3 said:
Just snapped this up on eBay, looked too good to be true for £40...I guess they won't dispatch tomorrow so please do point it out if it's not right!! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181291320477?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D181291320477%26_rdc%3D1

Will this switch fit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Renault-Megane-Sport-225-2-0-Cruise-Control-Switch-Button-/321428485563?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ad6a175bb

Also, does the speedo readout flash when you overspeed either CC or the limiter?

For the first link: you need the airbag too because they are slightly different.

Imo switch should fit, to me it looks the same as mine and also markings are the same.

No, speedo doesn't flash as currently there's no indication on dashboard that CC or SL are active. For usage of CC it's no problem, but for SL you have to do some testing to see what you set you speed limit to. Will see if I'll be able to activate it with CLIP.

As for the control buttons, I just plasti dipped them for now. If they will start to bother me I'll think of something else. But as they are invisible and easily clickable if good enough for me.

img0377.jpg

Just realised that the pictures on eBay for that switch are actually the same pictures as you have put up of your switch... Did you just find them on Google or is this very weird indeed..?

gotchiguy":nyyk9oyi said:
Just realised that the pictures on eBay for that switch are actually the same pictures as you have put up of your switch... Did you just find them on Google or is this very weird indeed..?

When I was posting the picture of the switch I hadn't got mine yet so I used the ones from the ebay :). But it's the same one.

Ok cool thanks :)

By the way, how did you open up the steering wheel in the end?

And finally, can you just confirm which type of switches I need. Are they all SPST momentary?

There are two screws on the bottom and on the top behind the rev counter you'll see a plastic cover, below it there's a bolt holding the rev counter. Unscrew them all (rev counter bolt can be a bit tricky) and unplug and remove the rev counter and you'll be able to remove both top and bottom plastic covers.

Radio controller is held with one screw on top and a connector on the bottom, after that you can just pull it out.

Thank you very much. Sorry to ask so many questions but I want to get it right! Which switches do I need exactly? All SPST momentary?

Also, how did you make up a 900 & 300ohm resistor? Or did you have them already sat there in those values?

No problem, I'm happy to help as I'm quite happy for finally getting it to work.

Jup, you just need regular momentary SPST switches, as one closure of the loop is one command.

I've got 100ohm, 300ohm and 920ohm, and heard of people using 270ohm. There some tolerance so don't worry if you don't get the exact ones, but get as close as possible.

Hrabroslav":2zu7ji8v said:
I've got 100ohm, 300ohm and 920ohm, and heard of people using 270ohm. There some tolerance so don't worry if you don't get the exact ones, but get as close as possible.

Ok. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the drawers of resistors that I used to have so I have bought 20x 300ohm and I will do three in parallel and three in series to make the other values.