HOW TO: Retro fit Cruise control

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the switch behind the blanking plug and the clutch sensor. I know I have a plug behind my airbag so now ī just need to find a cc steering wheel with airbag! does anyone have the part number for the cruise control switch?

I know this post deals with an RS, but we have a TCE 100 GT ourselves. The white connector near the fuse box is present, just like the orange and white wires on top of the steering pillar and the clutch switch and so forth. Everything seems to indicate the presence of cruise control inside the car.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get cruise control to work yet. Admittedly, I have used a generic switch for testing instead of the OEM dashboard switch, but I figured a switch is a switch, right? This switch connects the light grey or the green wire to the yellow wire of the white connector (or leaves the wires not connected to disable CC altogether). I've wired a potentiometer set to 270 Ohm in series with a pushbutton between the orange and white wires on top of the steering pillar. It does not respond to any combination of switch positions/button presses, however. Another thing I've noted is that there is no measurable voltage between these two wires (orange/white), so how does the computer measure the resistance anyway?

Does anybody have any idea what I have done wrong so far?

Many thanks in advance.

Presuming everthing you did was ok, did you try it at speeds above 30kmh? CC doesnt work at speeds below that.

In near future I'll be fiddling with the installation of bluetooth unit and I'll try to make some readings for you.

Regarding RS/GT, I did the exact same thing as described in the OP to my mothers Modus and it works exactly the same so I think there shouldn't be any differences.

I am looking into my 2011 Twingo Collection and I have found the clutch switch, but the wiring for the cruise control panel switch is not there. I have already disassembled the lower panel and I couldn't find that wire.
Have you find easily the wire or was it hidden in some place? Can you check from which harness this wiring derives from (does it goes together with the wiring for the headlights position adjustment?)?

Thank you!

The cruise control is on the steering wheel there logicali the crousecontrol schould then have a jeck in rhe slip ring

Just a brief update, my twingo collection 2011 didn't had the wiring for the cruise control. After checking the wiring diagram for the vehicle I connected cables to the four ECU terminals and routed them to the cabin by the main wiring harness grommet (being the battery). There is another cable to supply 12V to the selecting switch that connects to the fuse box and two other cables that must be derived from the headlight adjustment / dimmer controls for the the selecting switching light.

I did the initial tests and cruise control is working (I haven't tested the speed limit, but I believe it is working too). As other vehicles, no lights into the vehicle panel (still need to be programmed).

Now I am searching for a suitable switch, since I don't expect to spend more than 300 euros on a new steering wheel w/ controls. I payed 25 Euros for the switch to select between cruise control / speed limiter in the Netherlands (Renault dealer).

I believe that is new information, since I couldn't find anyone in the forum that installed cruise control in a Twingo without the wiring harness ready for it.

Finally I had some spare time to keep working on my CC installing and now it it completely finished.
Since the cost for a new steering wheel with CC buttons was too high for the car I did an extensive research about other options and I decided to use a CC lever from Alfa Romeo (see attached picture). This lever worked great, I just had to open it and remove the Fiat standard resistors, add new resistors according to Renault specs, and the four switches in the Alpha lever could replicate exactly the Renault 4 buttons (+, -, R and 0). Also the lever indications was OK (I just had to change a bit the logic of the ON/OFF switch to work along with Renault's logic)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 153
That alfa stalk looks really neat, I like that.

How have you attached it to the steering column?

And could you tell me which model stalk you have, all Alfa ones on eBay look different to me.

I think this is the same lever from the Fiat Stilo, but I don't have the P/N anymore. You will have a lot of work to make it fit, and it is hard to explain the whole adapting process I did without photos (unfortunately I haven't made any foto).

This is the same lever that I used:

https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo-guides/268864-bravo-198-cruise-control-prewired.html

I basically cut all attachment points from the previous car and drilled a hole at the lever surface which will be in contact with the steering wheel column. Then I attached to this hole a steel tube with thread at the outer diameter (same as used for lighting), all wiring was passed inside of this tube. Then I used the threaded outside to fix the assembly to the side of the steering wheel column, using a nut (I had to drill a hole on the steering wheel column).

Also some electrical adjustments were needed, so I removed all standard resistors from the lever and replaced by a wire. The resistors according to renault specs were installed at the outer side of the lever (with the wiring harness).

At the end it looks really good, but it is not a easy adaptation. If I disassemble in the future I will make some pictures showing how I did that.

Has anyone actually managed to replicate what Cebarbosa did? I also have a 2011 Collection without the wires in place. I'd love to install cc as I drive about 100 motorway miles everyday.

I'm guessing he just added the wires himself, but I don't know wherefrom and whereto. Thanks in advance if anyone helps :)

Is it possible to only connect the Cruise control / Speed limiter switch, Clutch sensor, and 'Plus' button (ie no 'Minus', 'R', or '0' buttons)? I only really use the regiser function anyway.

I ended up selling my Twingo with retrofitted cruise control a few years ago, but recently bought another as second car. So just went through the same process again (also one without the CC pre-wired).
The wiring was easy. I routed 3 wires to the ECU (through the cables rubber joint behind the dashboard) and another is connected to the fuse box (according to Renault’s workshop manual schematics). No ECU reprogramming is required to have it working, unless you want the CC dashboard lights functional.
This time I used my 3D printer to make my own design of lever. It has the 4 control keys (+,-,R,0) and also incorporates the “ON-OFF” switch, which helps to reduce with the cost of buying the original switch from Renault.
It is now a prototype, but already fitted into my car and works great!
Would anybody here be interested in buying the 3D printed components as a DIY kit? I will provide it with the diagrams and instructions to get it working.
For some reason I wasn’t able to upload the pictures of it (board upload quota reached), but I’ll try to send them in another post later.

@cebarbosa i would love to see a wiring diagram, i have a megane 3 rs steering wheel fitted and having the cruise control working with it would be the icing on the cake. Where do the 3 wires go to on the ecu? and the fuse box?

cheers

Think ive found the info many have been searching for with no response, copy from my build thread on TurboRenault.co.uk, you can find the wiring diagram there too, i would post it here but the website has met its quota for uploads. https://turborenault.co.uk/threads/adeys-twin-go-slow-gt-turbo.115135/page-31#post-1198779

Big thanks to @Brigsy for pointing me in the right direction. I think I've found the info I need. Just popping it here for ref.

3FX Cruise Control on/off
3PD Speed Limiter on/off
86M Cruise Programming return signal
86G Cruise Programming Control

I need to double check the wiring to the brake and clutch switch and maybe get a new squib but with this i should be able to wire in cruise control and have it working off the Meg 3 RS steering wheel

I wanted to replace the steering wheel because mine was worn out and it was an ugly plastic one. I found out that leather steering wheels in good condition are quite pricy so I decided to try and fit the steering wheel from Twingo III. I didn't find any information if it fits or not so I decided to test it myself. It fits. After that I thought, hey, I might as well make those cruise control buttons work. My Twingo wasn't pre-wired so I wired everything and learned that cruise control buttons don't work properly. Wrong resistances and slightly different design. O and R buttons work ok but - works as + and + doesn't work at all. The ECU also throws CC buttons fault code because Twingo III has resistance of about 4k ohm when no buttons are pressed.

Here's live data of unmodified buttons:
View attachment Original Twingo III buttons.mp4

Here is what you need to do to fit Twingo III steering wheel with working cruise control buttons:

1. Pull the buttons assemblies out. You may need to pry the outer part with something bent. I have one of those panel removal kits so it was easy.
It looks like this after you take it out:
IMG_20210826_133953.jpg

There are 4 clips. Unclip them and you'll have access to the PCB

2. Change the SMD resistors. You need 100ohm, 200ohm and 600ohm (I couldn't find 600ohm but found 604ohm so close enough). The tolerances are actually quite big. The size of resistors is 0805.

Now what to put where:
R34=600ohm
R23=200ohm
R12=100ohm
R45=remove this one completely

IMG_20210826_112904.jpg
IMG_20210826_112938.jpg

3. Put everything back together.

4. Fit the new steering wheel.

5. Connect the buttons to the clock spring. Here you need to make do with whatever you have available. I used pins with a bit of wire from original Twingo II wiring harness (I had one laying around) to connect to the buttons and to connect to the clock spring side I soldered thin female spade connectors. You can use spade connectors and pin headers. Secure bare components with heat shrink tube. At the buttons side connect to the black and red wire.

6. Congratulations, you now have working Twingo III CC buttons.

Here's live data of modified buttons:
View attachment Modified Twingo III buttons.mp4

7. To connect Twingo III airbag you need to make a slight modification to the airbag plug because Twingo II has green connector and Twingo III has blue connector. Cut the bit shown in the picture, make it flat with the rest of the plug.

IMG_20210826_162434.jpg

The final result:
IMG_20210826_143719.jpg

I am going through the same process, though I am not sure how to run the 3fx and 3pd wires exactly. in the pictures that I found for vehicles that were pre wired four wires could be seen connected to the main cruise control switch on the dashboard. Where do these come from/go? To me it seems that the two wires on the steering column can be ran directly to pin D2 and D3 on the ECU plug, is this right? I have no wiring diagram in possession apart from the one already in this thread. On top, I am doubting which type of terminals go into the ECU plug where the wires need to be added. It seems like some micro molex? Thanks already, this thread has already been a huge help

Check if you have pins present at the ECU. I had them but was missing wiring inside the car. If you have wiring at ECU side you can run wires to the big white connector under fuse box. You need to disassemble the socket (not the plug, that goes to the ECU) and pull out the green part.

Green and grey wires are for CC/SL button
Orange and creamy wires are for steering wheel buttons
Black wire at the CC/SL button is ground
The two remaining button wires are for illumination - these are optional

IMG_20210818_164147.jpg