Longer 5th gearing

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if for some ppl its to noisy in 5th gear on the motorway buy a bigger stereo system worked for me :D

but yeah a 6th gear would be nice for low revs on motorway

hello, i have a twingo engine and gear box fitting into my clio mk2
i had a 6 speed box offered upto the 133 engine, simple fact is it just will never fit, starter wrong side of engone and mounting points are all wrong etc etc
but... i fitted a 5th gear out of another 5 speed Renault box (they are the same gears inside as and jc5 jb3 jb1 etc etc) and it has lowered my rpm when cruising in 5th below 3k to about 2600 rpm
and it will accelerate from 20mph in 5th right through to over 100.

but i am running 133 bhp and 148 tourques :D
hope thats squared a few things up :D

Hutchie do you rember what the donior box was? i would be very interested in this mod!

Mat

Erm... I have a box of gearbox internals, ranging from jb1's to jc5's it came from one of them...
I appreciate that's so unhelpful but id hate to lie. But, baisically there's alot of boxes to choose from, internal design of these boxes hasn't really altered much since the old Renault 5 :p

so, you have a large wooden box labled as 'may be usefull and its full of cogs and shafts'. And, one of these random cogs was usefull.

I wonder how many boxes share the same ratio that you ended up with?

If I manage to shoe horn a six speed box in somehow, this lovely ratio box will be sold and you can investigate the ratio's if its bought :D

He means he swapped 5th gear only. My gf's has a 58 Megan imusic 1.6 16v (very simular engine looks wise!) and at 60 it's at 2750 rpm and much better on fuel at upto 55 mpg at 50 mph but has only 100bhp although is a heavier car

is anyone plan to put the Clio 3 gear box (6 gear) in the twingo?

Maz maz you on about the Clio gt box? I don't think they fit physically got a mate who works at Renault and he doesn't seen to think they fit

I don't know wich gear box it use

why not if it's 6 gear

but someone say the 6 gear from the RS should fit
some german managed to fit also the 6 from the megane but apparently need much more work

hutchie":37bcc8dn said:
hello, i have a twingo engine and gear box fitting into my clio mk2
i had a 6 speed box offered upto the 133 engine, simple fact is it just will never fit, starter wrong side of engone and mounting points are all wrong etc etc
but...

The Twingo RS is equipped with the JR5 gear-box and it has the starter also on the side of the engine where the radiator is like the TL4 gear-box. The K4M engines with the JB3 or JH3 gear boxes have the starter on the engine´s back side heading to the bulkhead.

I´m not 100% sure, but in my opinion regarding mounitng points there are two types of K4M engines existing, the one for JR5/TL4 gear-boxes and the other one for the JB3/JH3 gear-boxes.

So reagrding this a swap to the 6-speed TL4 box should be possible, but I´m sure that there are also other parts necessary like clutch (maybe also fly-wheel?), drive-shaft´s, and so on. Second thing is, if there is simply enough space for the TL4 box in a TwingoII...

So would also only go for a longer 5th gear of the RS´ JR5-176.

In this thread I already posted tables with other JR5-boxes: https://www.twingotuningforum.de/thread-17626.html

or you have a look here:

https://philch.free.fr/clio/clio3/MR392CLIO2.pdf

One thing to take care is, that the center distance of primary and secondary shaft is also the same.

problably for english car it will be more complicated

original car is designe with stear on left so maybe need more work and space to put it right

1975DCS":2w1eh71f said:
The Twingo RS is about 4000 rpm for 120 km/h in 5th gear and the Clio RS is about 3900 rpm for 120 km/h in 6th gear...

Interesting that they seem different. The 1.6 Wind seems slightly longer still - 3500 revs for 70mph (which should be about 3750rpm for 120kmh I think).

wow that short for the clio

at least it will make all gear more tight, so that better

Oliver":se164927 said:
The Twingo RS is equipped with the JR5 gear-box and ...
Cheers for all that. It means very little to me but if I do ever decide to start doing stuff to the car, 5th is still on the list and this info will probably be useful to any transmission place I take it to for a quote.