Lowering Springs

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didge3

Reaction score
I had the Twingo parked next to my Panda for possibly the first time the other day and I came to the realization that I want to modify it. My Panda which is quite suitably modified looks just more mine than the Twingo.

The Panda has SPAX lowering springs all round with a 40mm drop on each corner and therefore sits waaay lower than the Twingo, accompanied with the much lower roof line than a Twingo it makes the Twingo look more of a van so the Twingo definitely needs to be lowered...

Looked around the internet and well, 25mm front and back?? That doesn't sound like much, eventually found some 30mm fronts and 40mm rears. Anyone got this sort of drop on there so I can get a reference?
Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA-TECHNIX-COILOVERS-Renault-Clio-II-type-B-only-58mm-hole-distance-TUV-/350998174725?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AClio&hash=item51b91f1c05

these will fit your twingo sir, lowering springs won't close that arch gap enough and you'll need to spend more money on a new set of shock absorbers front and back in a years time once they break due to mismatched damping rates. for install, you will need a set of rear spring perches (the little rubber seats that the springs sit on) for a mk 2 / clio b whichever you wish to call it as the twingo gt spring perches require a stanley knife and a tiny bit of trimming some grooves so that they can sit in as they should which isn't good for anyone. although 279 seems a bit of a hard hit to take, you could also look at more expensive weitec coilovers etc for the twingo gt. expect to shell out at least 5-600 for those though dom

oscar":1e9aj3vc said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA-TECHNIX-COILOVERS-Renault-Clio-II-type-B-only-58mm-hole-distance-TUV-/350998174725?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AClio&hash=item51b91f1c05

these will fit your twingo sir, lowering springs won't close that arch gap enough and you'll need to spend more money on a new set of shock absorbers front and back in a years time once they break due to mismatched damping rates. for install, you will need a set of rear spring perches (the little rubber seats that the springs sit on) for a mk 2 / clio b whichever you wish to call it as the twingo gt spring perches require a stanley knife and a tiny bit of trimming some grooves so that they can sit in as they should which isn't good for anyone. although 279 seems a bit of a hard hit to take, you could also look at more expensive weitec coilovers etc for the twingo gt. expect to shell out at least 5-600 for those though dom

Ah.... this is a little more than the £150 odd quid for a set of springs...
Didn't realise the Twingo's shocks were so naff. Panda is on lowering springs with standard shocks, although they don't last as long tend to get 2+ years before they're shagged.

Thanks anyway though, never had coilovers, how solid is it going to make the ride? How much drop would I see with these?

well i have those cheapy TA tech's coilovers and they're fairly good so far mate. absolutely rock solid, but you're only going to feel that on really bad surfaces and speed bumps. for me on motorways and b roads, the car feels so planted and i'll try not to use the stereotypical ''go kart'' phrase as much as i can but it really is true. you could perhaps look into getting uprated dampers for some springs, but i'd hazard a guess that it will be much more expensive than a set of cheap coilovers.

you can expect to see 70 mm drop on the rear, 100 mm drop on the front. a higher front promotes understeer, and a higher rear promotes oversteer

oscar":3khmsf5d said:
well i have those cheapy TA tech's coilovers and they're fairly good so far mate. absolutely rock solid, but you're only going to feel that on really bad surfaces and speed bumps. for me on motorways and b roads, the car feels so planted and i'll try not to use the stereotypical ''go kart'' phrase as much as i can but it really is true. you could perhaps look into getting uprated dampers for some springs, but i'd hazard a guess that it will be much more expensive than a set of cheap coilovers.

you can expect to see 70 mm drop on the rear, 100 mm drop on the front. a higher front promotes understeer, and a higher rear promotes oversteer
Well I much prefer the sound of that drop in height.

I forget how much cheaper it is to modify an older car... I'm buying a set of four new Bilstein shocks for the Panda, £130 :D

I think I'll save and get the coilies rather than do it half arsed with springs and uprated shocks. I'm not sure I understand why you need to do to make the rears work?

okay dude, so the rear springs on a car with a dead rear axle (like our cars have....the big beam basically) ... the springs sit on little rubber perches as seen below (believe it or not, google didn't throw any good examples) the only difference in the clio b and twingo gt (with 58mm bolt spacing, this part is ESSENTIAL to making sure the coilovers fit the twingo. this relates to the two bolts that hold the front suspension strut onto the hub) suspension is a small variation in the diameter of the perch that the rubber perch / mount that the rear springs sit on. they are both the same shape at the bottom where they sit on the chassis, but the top side of the perch where it fits into the end of the coil spring on the gt's perch is a little different to the clio's perch which will require a stanley blade to slice off a few little ridges which is what i done. but if you just buy 2c rear spring perches for the clio b then it will be a direct swap. you'll see this at the bottom of the springs below, the dirty creamy coloured perches the spring sits on.
522635_892335682204_1604219530_n.jpg

oscar":2p49dqlp said:
okay dude, so the rear springs on a car with a dead rear axle (like our cars have....the big beam basically) ... the springs sit on little rubber perches as seen below (believe it or not, google didn't throw any good examples) the only difference in the clio b and twingo gt (with 58mm bolt spacing, this part is ESSENTIAL to making sure the coilovers fit the twingo. this relates to the two bolts that hold the front suspension strut onto the hub) suspension is a small variation in the diameter of the perch that the rubber perch / mount that the rear springs sit on. they are both the same shape at the bottom where they sit on the chassis, but the top side of the perch where it fits into the end of the coil spring on the gt's perch is a little different to the clio's perch which will require a stanley blade to slice off a few little ridges which is what i done. but if you just buy 2c rear spring perches for the clio b then it will be a direct swap. you'll see this at the bottom of the springs below, the dirty creamy coloured perches the spring sits on.
522635_892335682204_1604219530_n.jpg

Ah right I see now.
Thanks!

we can get TA-Technix now so may be able to sort you out a deal on those coilovers.. will have a look at prices now for you

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tun...-hole-pitches-58-mm-ta-technix-coilovers.html

we have got those ones on the system a little bit cheaper than them but can do you an even better deal price of £250 + postage if you give us a call during the week.. We have a shipment from TA-Technix due to leave on Monday/Tuesday so if you want a set quick then let us know monday morning and we'll try to get a kit added for you