mikehealy5's GT progress thread (plenty pics)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikehealy5

Reaction score
well i thought it as about time i did one so here goes, lets start at the begining.....

it was marked up at £5988 with 1 owner and 20k on the clock. i went with my dad and he is a big believer in haggling (quite embrassing when he starts to haggle for car mats) but hey ho after lots of visits and endless amounts of crap coffee suppiled by renault we walked away with my new car bought for £5500 12 month free road tax and a rather gash set of arnold clark mats.
so this is how it was the day i paid my deposit...
IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

its was a toss up between the GT and a Susuki Swift, so glad i picked the GT!!! its the 1st time iv owned a car and not been thinking of the next one to buy, i just love it too much! lol

One of the 1st things i did was tart her up abit to make her different than other twingos with a new set of Renault F1 Team stickers.

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

8D60877C-0072-43C9-BF6D-5A681598E2DB-222-0000000ACFC00C37.jpg

i started with the nice and easy mods 1st with new orange intrior light and boot light, also wired up some orange LEDs in the footwell. i cut into the boot light wiring so the leds would come on when the car is unlocked/locked they also fade out with the rest of the intrior lights. also changed the number plate bulb to white LEDs.

IMG_0892.jpg

the pics are really bad but my excuse would be that iphone 4's are rubbish at taking pics and it was -2 degrees so i was shaking like a sh*ting dog.

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

next was my side lights i used white 28smd's instead of 5smd which are the most common, somtimes i cant tell if its my side lights or main beam on!haha
IMG_0893.jpg

as you can see its rather frosty out there
IMG_0895.jpg

whilst we are on the subject of lights iv got 35w 6000k HIDs fitted to dip/main beam and iv ordered some for the fogs which should be here anyday. heres the HIDs in action.....
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg

next was tinting the rear lights which for my 1st time i thought it went ok, one looks lighter than the other in this pic but it was just the sun shining on them.
IMG_0635.jpg

one thing that had to go was the factory head unit, so i replaced with a nice new pioneer HU with SD,USB,Bluetooth etc. added a 10" edge active sub and FLI speakers in the back and doors. im not one to play music loud but i do like it to sound good.
IMG_0897.jpg

after reading lots about vinyl wrapping i thought id give it a go too! after all how hard could it be?? the answer to that is very but after a few atempts and a lot of vinyl later this is what i ended up with...
IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

the dimond was by far the hardest,
IMG_0901.jpg

seen as this is my 1st turbo i thought it would be rude not to have a boost gauge no matter how chavy they are!lol so i set do work on plumbing it in and wiring it up. had it for about 2 weeks and the thing stopped working. that will teach me to buy cheap as chips hong kong crap of ebay! so i bought a better one and its been fine since. heres some pics of how i mounted it....
IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

i was debating on where to mount it at 1st iv seen them all over the place in the past, i decided to drill through the plastic dash tray and feed the tube and wires from the engine bay and behind the dash board.
IMG_0650.jpg

brembo discs and pads fitted due to an MOT failer so thought i might as well buy better ones there and then rather than waiting.

after i fitted my boost gauge next up was a new DV. so simple to fit and took about 5 mins to install.
IMG_0902.jpg

my boost gauage needle used to bounce around a bit in low revs when the engine was cold so i popped on a inline fuel filter that cost me 97p just to put a bit of resistance in the airline. it worked perfectly no more bouncing and the needle has a nice smooth action.

out with the old...
IMG_0906.jpg

in with the new...
IMG_0682.jpg

one thing i hadnt bargined for was how the airbox sat ontop of the manifold and the result of this instant heat transfer!!! so i dug out some old exhaust wrap and wrapped it around the new closed intuction unit to try and stop the heat from affecting the air feed temp, i know exhaust wrap dosnt solve the problem but every little helps.
IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

as you can see i have use a cold air feed from the filter down the front of the car and behind the bumper so it sits just behind the grill. the car now has a nice little grunt about it and when i plant my foot down you can hear it suck for fun!!

these also arived today (courtersy of the OH) but iv been told i have to wait till xmas day to have them! this prezy beats slippers and socks any day!lol
IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

so thats about it so far, theres a couple of things il be doing in the new year and thats fitting the new HIDs in the fogs and im going to atempt to spray a few parts on the car eg. spoiler and mirror caps are going yellow and the fog surronds are going black with yellow GT stickers and from that in time il hopefully get my alloys sprayed black too.

:'( nooooo! Might have to get some coilovers and some turinis.. Just to be cooler!
But that aint gonna happen :/

Dnt beat your self up about it! Haha of it's any constellation iv yet to see a better I-music than yours. If I can get mine looking half as good as yours il be a happy man.

What...
The f*ck...
Is the fan blade with your induction kit?!

Take it you didn't fancy cutting your heat wrap ties? :p

Looks pretty tidy though matey, enjoy it :)

I'm sure your not meant to T off a dump valve? As it doesn't give a constant boost pressure?

madmatt":hqk2o291 said:
What...
The f*ck...
Is the fan blade with your induction kit?!

Take it you didn't fancy cutting your heat wrap ties? :p

Looks pretty tidy though matey, enjoy it :)

I didn't want to say anything about the fan blade... I'm guessing it came as a kit with the induction stuff.

There's a large about of mods to done there :p have fun with the rest of them

the fan blade thing came with the kit, its called a turbonator, it sits at the front of the cold ait feed and is supposed to help ram air into the intake when the engine is sucking air in, the idea is the momentum carries on and delivers a faster air flow during and after the engine has stoped sucking in air. theres been loads of controversy about them. some people say they help air delivery some say they dont. niether has been proven. iv not fitted it cos i dnt think itl make any differance so its currently rolling around in my boot and has been for months lol

oh and the ties i just havnt got round to doing it, next time i clean the bay il snip em off.

Jjay":2lsy6tuh said:
I'm sure your not meant to T off a dump valve? As it doesn't give a constant boost pressure?

what do you mean "T off"?? its just a stright tap in which gives the air nowhere else to go other than where its supposed to.

every DV i have seen on a GT has been set up exactly the same. we cant all be wrong can we??????

No I'm not saying that.. Your pic shows you have 3hoses off top of dump valve... Presuming that's going to boos gauge... It doesn't give a constant boost pressure.

Jjay":82kg5blp said:
No I'm not saying that.. Your pic shows you have 3hoses off top of dump valve... Presuming that's going to boos gauge... It doesn't give a constant boost pressure.

oh right i see what you mean.

theres only one hose that comes out of the top of the dump valve which is the original hose that came out of the stock DV all i did was change the colour of the hose. about 3" up from the DV i snipped it, banged in t-piece in and attached one new hose that goes to the gauge. the gauge reads as it should iv had no problems.

Okay. Well you may get inaccurate readings... As similar with boost controller... Shouldn't run it off that is inconsistent readings. :) but your car your choice just thought I'd let you know

mikehealy5":24zusqu0 said:
the fan blade thing came with the kit, its called a turbonator, it sits at the front of the cold ait feed and is supposed to help ram air into the intake when the engine is sucking air in, the idea is the momentum carries on and delivers a faster air flow during and after the engine has stoped sucking in air. theres been loads of controversy about them. some people say they help air delivery some say they dont. niether has been proven. iv not fitted it cos i dnt think itl make any differance so its currently rolling around in my boot and has been for months lol

oh and the ties i just havnt got round to doing it, next time i clean the bay il snip em off.

They just restrict air flow when you need the air. That's why people are getting better mpg with them. Less air = less fuel (usually)

mikehealy5":exzmphvy said:

it does restrict airflow that fan thingie , i watched a review and dyno test of cold air intakes cannot find it anymore ill post it later ;)

btw nice project like what you did so far :)

Jjay":1sr6k41h said:
Okay. Well you may get inaccurate readings... As similar with boost controller... Shouldn't run it off that is inconsistent readings. :) but your car your choice just thought I'd let you know

i only put it in for a bit of fun so im not to fussed on how inaccurate it is. dnt have a boost controler so no worries there. so where would you suggest i should tap it in then?? like i said before iv always seen them set up this way so i wouldnt know any different way to do it.