On-the-spot fines planned for careless driving

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said before though, why would the police bother themselves with the extra paper work they are always moaning about. Also part of the requirement will be to provide evidence in case of an appeal and in support most likely/usually video, as traffic offences require corroborating evidence to prosecute so they can't be too harsh or will be rejected at court.

I'm sure there would be chance to appeal in which case evidence would have to be shown to support their case and then you would have to state why you did what you did etc. I just think it is a waste of time really, it's only going to end up with people appealing all the time which no doubt will lead to court action anyway. Saving no money and probably costing the tax payer more dollar!

It's the deterrent and definite conviction if video evidence proves it, so if police have no evidence they can't fine you or take a case to the magistrates. I agree its more of a psychological thing but anything that helps improve the appalling standard of driving on UK roads is a winner for me. Remember as well if you loose an appeal you pay court costs in the magistrates

It's the lack of consistency that worries me. All down to perception of the copper (surely things must be caught on camera to be able to fine).

People do make mistakes, ok a mistake in a tonne of metal traveling at speed does exaggerate things, but not every is a dangerous and over aggressive cock. I hope it's just it's used properly.

I recently had a pop at a copper that wasn't paying attention as I was on a crossing, nearly clipped me. Can they get fined as well?

Corroborating evidence is needed for ANY traffic offence. In theory yes, the IPCC can investigate any police complaints. Police discretion is used for a number of offences to be fair. When it comes down to it though, having the issue of dangerous driving at the fore front of the public conscience for a bit can only be good.

Well thats me screwed....JOKING!

naa i think it will be ok..but i think some coppers will be on a power trip and give them out willy nilly.

weebob":2phzygu5 said:
It's the lack of consistency that worries me. All down to perception of the copper (surely things must be caught on camera to be able to fine).
Agreed - BUT you've got a lot more chance of talking a copper out of giving you a ticket that you have with a camera.

weebob":2phzygu5 said:
I recently had a pop at a copper that wasn't paying attention as I was on a crossing, nearly clipped me. Can they get fined as well?
Yes, they are subject to the same laws as the rest of us.