Over Revving

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
Not sure if it is me being stupid...

but when im starting to gain speed, ie minimal speed like pulling away, the rev gets to 2,500 rpm but to me feels like it should show 5000... not that im over revving it because my foot is hardly on the gas, but it feels like its doing that many?
and the engine sounds like its working hard, and wants to change gear?
gonna give the garage a call tomorrow and see if i can get it looked at.. but what do you guys think?

If you say put it in fifth and accelerate, do the revs rise without the speed increasing? How many miles?

Could be the clutch, known a few to go within say 20,000 miles but i'm sure yours is an 11 plate?

Our engines are very very noisy, mine sounds loud and quite rumbly (mostly due to the exhaust) but it sounds normal, I've driven 3 of them and they have all been the same

maggi112":1ajbnu0e said:
If you say put it in fifth and accelerate, do the revs rise without the speed increasing? How many miles?

Could be the clutch, known a few to go within say 20,000 miles but i'm sure yours is an 11 plate?
Yep it's an 11 plate done just under 2300 miles..

And hollie, it just suddenly started sounding different.. Drove it a bit earlier and it wasn't too bad.. Just feels a bit like it's slipping as well if that makes sense :-S

are you saying that on the rev counter it says 3rpm but it sounds like the engine is at 5rpm
(example)

TURBO":dw69pxee said:
are you saying that on the rev counter it says 3rpm but it sounds like the engine is at 5rpm
(example)
Yeah, sorry didn't explain myself too well :p

Was trying to get too much out at once!

have you noticed it in all gears?
does it happen at all speeds or just when pulling away?

soz for all the Qs but theres a few things it could b so try to narrow it down!!
pm u if u want :mrgreen:

TURBO":37d53xme said:
have you noticed it in all gears?
does it happen at all speeds or just when pulling away?
It is mainly when I'm in lower gears, like 1st and second, it can be at 2500 rpm and sounds like its 5000... If that's what you mean..

any chance of a video ??? i have had a clutch go on my old car u reaily need to ballance out the acelorator and clutch to actuly get going or if ur heavy footed put ur foot down when ur going it will just rev like hell !!! also u will have to drive off slow to get foing if the clutch has gone .
also if it is a clutch u will have the revs buld in evry gear and get nowhere.

As said these aren't exactly the most refined engines so it could well be that it's just simply noisy.

That said 2,500rpm may be a little higher than you need to pull off so it may be that it sounds noisier as well.

I havnt driven much over the weekend so I will see how the week goes on and how it's behaving, the weather was pretty bad at the time... Maybe I was just over reacting and since the wheels played up after sorting the calipers I think I'm guy nervous about it being broken!