Petrol? V-Power or not?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maggi112":3ilsuipy said:
Didn't bp used to do one that was crazy expensive, exclusive to a few stations and somewhere like 112 ron?

Don't you mean the very expensive 102? Same Octanenumber as racing fuel. Any higher number would be drag race fuel!

[quote"maggi112"]Didn't bp used to do one that was crazy expensive, exclusive to a few stations and somewhere like 112 ron?[/quote]

Don't you mean the very expensive 102? Same Octanenumber as racing fuel. Any higher number would be drag race fuel![/quote]
BP Ultimate 102 - Produced from 2006 to 2010, around £2.50 a litre!

Doesn't really compare to VP Import at 120 Octane and £7 a litre...and that to Nitromethane at £10.50 a litre....

My dad used to get Uniflo Turbo Ultimate 104 octane off his boss (ran a group A+ spec Evo 9) for his Xzara Rally Car, made mental pops!
Did have Xylene, Toluene and Methanol added to it though! Smelt HORRIBLE. Only ever came ina 20 or 40 litre Grey Drum at £8 a litre!

I only run on Shell V-Power but I don't suppose I'll get the real benefit until I get the car re-mapped at K-tec in a few weeks. I imagine that when this is done it will be important to keep using super unleaded as the maps been written around it?

Stunty":gnbqwrsp said:
I only run on Shell V-Power but I don't suppose I'll get the real benefit until I get the car re-mapped at K-tec in a few weeks. I imagine that when this is done it will be important to keep using super unleaded as the maps been written around it?

If its mapped on v-power it would be better to run it on v-power. But saying that you can run in on normal but you will feel a noticeable difference.

Your ECU will adjust slightly to higher octane fuels after a few tanks off it, but with a remap it will react a lot better, I had mine mapped on 95 but now I use v power.... Wish I had used it to begin with the only other time is remap is if I decide to get a custom decat Mani if my pockets are deep enough in the future

using fuel save at shell i use around £40 to £50 a week. going to test out v-power for a couple of week then bp ultimate and compare (y)

I dont tend to notice much between the regular Shell fuel save and VPower.

Looking at the ignition timing advance values from the scangauge there appears to be very little difference between Shell Fuel Save and the superunleadeds offered at Sainsburys.

I'll see if theres a discernable difference with Vpower over the next couple of weeks.
I really cant notice any difference in power delivery.

only fuel we have at shell is fuelsave and v power and i've only ever used fuelsave

No point in using v power on a 1.2n/a twingo really.

Best used on performance modified cars and the 1.2 won't have big enough bhp gains to benefit IMO

I use v-power, for very few reasons.. Apparently its better for the engine? I get more points on the shell card so i get money back all the time, and cause it adds 5bhp.

these are 1.6 renault twingos, right...? i almost thought we were talking about 5 litre muscle cars for a moment here with the higher RON fuels. the higher RON rated fuels are to do with the compression ratios of the engine and its ability to withstand too high a compression which results in pre-ignition, pinking, knocking..whichever you'd like to call it. renault recommends 95RON for the 133. believe me they have spent millions developing that engine on shaping the combustion chamber, spark timings and crank shafts to get the exact best out of the 95RON fuel. the engines made with cheaper aluminum alloys than bigger powerful engines, using 98RON fuel is for high performance cars which run on silly compression rations and have high boost forced induction. using 98RON in a twingo 133, all i can say is stand behind the car with it running and smell the unburnt petrol in your exhaust. either way, you're dumping a lot of unburnt fuel. 95RON

tw11ngo":1wkj9pzx said:
these are 1.6 renault twingos, right...? i almost thought we were talking about 5 litre muscle cars for a moment here with the higher RON fuels. the higher RON rated fuels are to do with the compression ratios of the engine and its ability to withstand too high a compression which results in pre-ignition, pinking, knocking..whichever you'd like to call it. renault recommends 95RON for the 133. believe me they have spent millions developing that engine on shaping the combustion chamber, spark timings and crank shafts to get the exact best out of the 95RON fuel. the engines made with cheaper aluminum alloys than bigger powerful engines, using 98RON fuel is for high performance cars which run on silly compression rations and have high boost forced induction. using 98RON in a twingo 133, all i can say is stand behind the car with it running and smell the unburnt petrol in your exhaust. either way, you're dumping a lot of unburnt fuel. 95RON

Renault reccomend 98ron in my GT, high Ron fuel isn't just for 5litre v8s as even the humble k4m 1.6 shows signs of improvement on it and the d4ft 1.2 shows massive improvements as I had my car mapped on 95 but Paul at RS tuning insisted on me running v power(99) and now the map which felt fast feels faster as the delivery is even better!

On the plus side the cold start issues hardly occur to me now.

On the inside of the fuelcap in my GT Wind, they recommend 95 or 98.

98 isn't just for high powered vehicles.

If it was for high powered vehicles then they wouldn't have it advertised as suitable for ALL unleaded vehicles. My GT runs a hell of a lot better on v-power. It's all I use, I used to us 95ron but don't anymore,

95 / 98 on my RS133 too.

Did you see the test on fuels on Fifth Gear earlier?
V-Power was top, scoring 5bhp more than the standard 95 or BP Ultimate stuff

An extra 5bhp over the 235bhp that the Golf GTi made on 95.

Yet again on fifth gear not a fantastic test.
To put 5litres in and expect miracles.