Question regarding twingo gt

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 980

Reaction score
I've traded my twingo rs. However, my mums after a new car.

She really likes the twingos but obviously she doesn't want an rs.

Which model will be best for her?

Am I right in thinking there's a 1.2 non turbo and a 1.2 turbo?

She does around 30 - 40 miles a day (90% motorway), so ideally it needs to be good on fuel (she doesn't mind whether it's petrol or diesel) with a bit of punch to the engine for when it's needed.

Tbh, the best car I can think of is a clio diesel (same age and shape as the 172/182)

Open to suggestions, and the reason for asking is I'm buying the car!

there is the 1.2 8v which was 2007/8. and then the 1.2 16v then the 1.2 16v GT. the 8v was awful, the 1.2 is fine but it's not got very much poke. the GT has more poke from the off and is around the same fuel economy, also very cheap on insurance.

you could also look at the clio dci / gt

Can you tell me what the rough mpg is on a motorway if you're not hooning it like you lot haha, I'm talking about mpg when sitting at 70

The twingo gt's seem more reliable than the rs's tbh.

The rs with cup chassis shakes itselfs to bits!

at 60-70 i calculated it to be 44mpg at 65 over a run of 100 miles from empty to refill using the same amount of fuel on a long motorway journey but that's after a remap etc and is also in the real world driving. personally i'm chuffed with the MPG on a long run, and i didn't even boot it once.

hmm in fairness they are both cheap as chips cars manufactured to the cheapest prices possible. the RS is more of a drivers car who enjoy twisty roads and don't mind that it's got next to no power, and the GT's just something weird. i've had to drive plenty of those dynamiques on road tests or whatever the 75bhp ones are called and you just sink your foot to the floor and nothing happens, the GT's hadly a rocket ship but from standard it's very nippy and coincide that with good overtaking ability. the dynamique is a much softer suspension, the GT's is pretty stiff not quite cup stiff

For 40 x 5 = 200 plus any weekend work so lets say 250 miles x 48 weeks (cuts out any time she's not using it so) 12.000 ish miles per year, that's one service in a twingo I'd pick the GT for motorway cruising there's alot of high milers with around 50 miles per day average on them I'd never go N/A for motorway driving can sometimes get close to my merc diesel at certain speeds I get around 40-45 mpg at 70 ish

Have to agree with Dave, the GT chassis can be quite stiff but not noticeably so if driven sensibly. What i have noticed is the power steering can be quite lacking especially at higher speeds (compared to the Focus i previously owned) and the clutch bite-point in first has a mind of its own (that just might be me being a crap driver) As for MPG, i do mainly dual carriageway miles and get 40+ ''at 70...''
As for the N/A Twingos, (Dynamique, etc) academically you can get the same performance cheaper elsewhere, including two extra doors. What you don't get is the flexibility the the rear seating allows.

Facelift 1.2 Dynamique. Cheap tax and acceptable on motorways or longer runs. Nicer seats than a GT.

MPG would really depend on the weight of your right foot as sitting at 85 would be drinking a fair bit more than sitting at 70.

I currently get 56mpg around town and up to 64mpg on a run, that's using V power, it does go down a little with normal unleaded fuel - plus it's remapped to get rid of all that fuel wastage.

Mine a facelift 1.2 16v dynamique. It comes with cruise control as standard.

Rob.

The 1.2 16v was really good for fuel economy so for motorway driving if you stick to 70 you could get around 460-530 miles a tank. (I once got 580 while I was learning!) and the tax was £30 and the insurance is pennies.

I'm struggling to get over 300 miles a tank in the gordini Tce.. Who know a "fuel economy remap" may sort that out ;)