Rear shock absorber HELP!?!?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anewstead123

Reaction score
Hi.
My rear shock absorbers need replacing due to one of them having blown, (i believe)!

Im told you can only get genuine Renault shocks to replace these, as i have a Cup chassis, therefore i am wondering if this is correct & whether anyone knows if i can get some cheap from somewhere as i've been quoted £140 each side and that is just for the part itself!
:eek:

Also any rough ideas on how i could improve the ride generally, i'm guessing that the damaged shock has a big impact on ride comfort but is there any minor tweaks/improvements i could do also, i mean i've got 17" cup alloys and was considering a bigger profile tyre as currently i run on 195/40 but not certain as to how much leeway there is available without any problems.

Many thanks in advance!

you can improve the ride by fitting coilover suspension, i am assuming by improve you mean make it more firm and more responsive as it already is a sporty car? there are lots of threads on here on coilover suspensions and reviews on each of them and even more threads on tyre sizes! personally i wouldn't go down the oem shock absorber route at 280 for both sides. yoou could change your rear shock absorbers yourself, it's two small top bolts and two bigger bottom bolts and they come free, then pop the new ones in save yourself in labour charges whilst educating yourself! we always encourage a do it yourself attitude here :D

Well, clio 182 rear shock absorbers are only £49.90 from renault parts direct. Twingo ones arent shown, but I cant see such a large markup. Fitting shouldnt be any more than 30mins for anyone who can wield a spanner

I was having a chat with the fella I get parts off. When I last spoke to him 2 weeks ago the cup shocks had jumped up in price to £500+ each for the rear and £900+ each for the front :/ they must have dropped back to the normal price now. I'm not lying either as he has a twingo and was shocked himself (no pun intended)

But we both said do the 182 cup shocks not fit? Anyone know the dimensions? I bet they are identical...why reinvent the wheel

Thanks for the replies guys.
I had the wheels off yesterday at home as i was painting my callipers (which i'm pretty pleased with the end product) and noticed the rear shock absorbers seem much easier to DIY than i originally thought, therefore i've literally just got to look at getting the parts themselves.

So is it true that i must get genuine renault 'cup' shocks?

If you want to retain the original handling characteristics of the cup suspension then you do. If you're swapping for other shocks, you're probably better of swapping the lot anyway.

waitey":2o6k6d1k said:
For the price renault charge why not spend that little more for coilovers?
This is what I did. I needed a spring and topmount and at the time it seemed quite a lot for what it was from Renault. I went after market then picked up some used springs when they came up on eBay and fitted them to my standard shocks.

At least I justified it in my head

if they are for some odd reason much more expensive than clio 182 cup dampers then id just stick 182 cup dampers on it!

if I was you I would stick with genuine rather than patern part to get the proper ones, they are manufactured by KYB and extremely good, although do lack a bit of durability! I usually replace them every 2 years on my 172's as part of general servicing

Hi all,

Given the Clio is a heavier car,with bigger wheels the valving for bump and rebound will be substantially different. Typically springs and dampers also go together and are tuned as such.
Replacing with clio dampers would give an overdamped car and possibly some strange dynamics