Renault UK slashes model range

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be trying to cut costs on specifically rhd models since they seem to query why Spain etc that are also struggling are keeping their full range.

Shame as theres a few cars in that I suspect will be missed.

I was planning at looking at the laguna coupe in a couple of years. Shame.

So this leaves

Twingo
Cilo
Cilo estate
Megane
Megane estate
Scenic
Grand scenic

As the complete range? Before the Zoe ect come out

Damn the Laguna coupe is a very sleet looking car. It's butt looks a little like the back of a Aston Martin.

Blimey. I'm surprised the espace is going, and the wind so quickly too. Might become a bit of a niche model in future years. I'd love to see a laguna coupe rs too, but doubt it'll happen

Who knows, when I payed of my Wind I could sell it with profit since not so many were made/used.

MovingShadow":1hex0s7a said:
Who knows, when I payed of my Wind I could sell it with profit since not so many were made/used.
It's only the right hand drive models that are being canned. Don't expect your L/H drive Wind to become an overnight classic :(

i don't get the logic in this realy
The move will also clear resources and marketing funds for a major push in electric cars in 2012. Renault will introduce the Twizy urban runabout, the Zoe supermini and Fluence EV to the UK next year, although the Zoe won’t be in dealers until autumn.
Being as EV's are not selling due to being crap and/or overpriced, it does look like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire :?

In fairness you don't tend to see a lot of Wind's on the road here, which suggests they haven't really hit off and hence Renault UK is pulling them. Looking at the stats on howmanyleft.co.uk there are only 1,693 registered which may sound like a lot but in reality it's hardly anything!

A bit stunned by the likes of the Laguna, Modus and Espace though, as you see those about all the time, I think they were very popular models. Whilst the Laguna may not be as popular as a Ford Mondeo and the Modus perhaps not as popular as a Vauxhall Meriva, I do tend to see them 'all the time', or so-to-speak.

Around a third of the mainstream dealers among the 200-strong network will also be shut, including some of the biggest 23 metropolitan sites owned by Renault.

Some struggling dealers have twinned their sites with other marques, some of them Kia, to keep the doors open and some of these are understood to be under threat.
This is particularly worrying. I hope this doesn't mean my local will shut, as said in another thread my next nearest mainstream dealers are a good 30 miles+ away! Also closing of dealerships means loss of peoples jobs. Though presumably they will just close the ones that are struggling or not meeting the demands for consumer sales.

singlespeed":1jwyhqkp said:
MovingShadow":1jwyhqkp said:
It's only the right hand drive models that are being canned. Don't expect your L/H drive Wind to become an overnight classic :(

ow, didn't see this was only affected to R/H cars only.

It seems to me, and from looking at neighbours driveways and cars on the road, if it doesn't have a BMW/Audi/VW badge nowadays then it doesn't sell.

It's very sad, but people are like sheep, and it would seem the 'shame' of not having one of these 'marques' (stupid word!) is too much for most.

There are some great cars out there but most won't look past the badge and will go to great lengths to pay for some incredibly ordinary and (IMHO) dull cars (BMW 1 series/most VW's/Audi A1 (Polo!?)) just to get the badge on their driveway.

This inevitably leads to less choice for the rest of us who like to be different!

Thats why I like my car, its rare and even the Twingo RS is something you don't see very offen too.

It is indeed that people are like sheep, thinking German made cars don't come with their own problems (we all know the 'problems's French cars could have) but then again, you have people who say they owned a Renault for a very long time and never had any engine issues or had to refill the oil etc..

If I had a Golf or a Polo, I would have had to mod it because to drive something that you see thousands of them on the highway everyday wont make me happy.
To me, a car is a reflection of your taste.

I think it's just a reflection of the times. Renault just cutting loses its making on right hookers that don't sell to well. Unfortunately Renault still have the unreliable tag to shake, as such things like the laguna will and always of had a hard time against other exec cars in terms of sales.

Between my wife and I we are on our 6th Renault and two that had their problems one of which we had to chop in as they couldn't fix it. In the same vain the vw's and three bmws we have had also had there problems. The main difference was the dealerships were excellent. A couple of the Renault dealers I have been to have been shocking, luckily I now have a good one. But it doesn't help the perception of the brand.

I'm shocked that if they are killing of these right hand drives that they are bringing the facelift RS to the uk as that's been far from a massive seller. I wonder how well the normal twingo has sold up against the competition.

In my case I will continue buying what Renault are good at. Awesome cheap fun hatches. Just not the RS face(palm)lift.

When I was deciding what my first car was going to be it was between the (all new cars) Seat Ibiza (3 doors), Ford Fiesta (3 doors), Alfa Romeo Mito & the Renault Wind.

I never even considered buying a BMW, Audi or VW mainly of because one thing.. maintenance costs or when something is broken you'd be screwed too.

Maintenance of a Alfa mate is another world. A main dealership once tried to charge me £250 for a oil and oil filter change.... Cam belt and plugs on a normal 2L four pot, £700 sir

As for introducing their electric car range, good luck to them but I can't see them working out for people. How many Nissan Leafs do you see on the road? Not many. And they take forever to recharge, not handy for long distance journeys really. If you're on a business trip and your car runs out of electric before you arrive, are you supposed to phone your client and say "Sorry, my car has ran out of electric! We'll have to wait until its charged tomorrow" and sit in the service station for the rest of the day.

The technology isn't quite there yet and there still needs to be more R&D into it. Until you can get an electric car that will recharge its battery as quickly as you or I top up with petrol, and an electric car that won't need a new battery every year, I can't see it hitting off.

weebob":3jpqq123 said:
Maintenance of a Alfa mate is another world. A main dealership once tried to charge me £250 for a oil and oil filter change.... Cam belt and plugs on a normal 2L four pot, £700 sir

Well Alfa does kinda belong in the 'special' categorie :p

Sam":3jpqq123 said:
As for introducing their electric car range, good luck to them but I can't see them working out for people. How many Nissan Leafs do you see on the road? Not many. And they take forever to recharge, not handy for long distance journeys really. If you're on a business trip and your car runs out of electric before you arrive, are you supposed to phone your client and say "Sorry, my car has ran out of electric! We'll have to wait until its charged tomorrow" and sit in the service station for the rest of the day.

The technology isn't quite there yet and there still needs to be more R&D into it. Until you can get an electric car that will recharge its battery as quickly as you or I top up with petrol, and an electric car that won't need a new battery every year, I can't see it hitting off.

Exactly my thoughts too.

I don't really see a future yet for electric car, atleast not with the current batteries or storage capacity.

Hydrogen on the other hand is the future IMO and it's piculiar thats being less promoted than electric (or hybrid) cars.

Besides the charging times and places to actualy do it, another thought occured . How will Elevtric Vehicles fair in our winters?

Unlike internal combustion engines, EV's won't produce much heat from their engine (motor). Heat which we currently disperce through a radiator or actualy use for cabin heating and windscreen demisting. Do EV's have heaters/demisters and if so, what does this do to the range?