RS160 - Twingo Gordini #159

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made them. Home made mould, fibreglass and resin.

I looked into getting a set 3d printed in black ABS plastic but it wasn't going to be cheap.

Previously, Paul couldn't find any consistency in the fuelling requirements between 2000-3500 rpm, with it swinging from needing loads of fuel, to not wanting much then back to needing loads again. With the new exhaust fitted and the Wideband Lambda sensor wired in, to monitor the exhaust emissions, it showed the engine running lean in a few points as the induction and exhaust are working better together rather than against each other.

Now, after about 200 miles and a tank n half of fuel later, altering the maps from the ones on the left to the ones on the right :cool: its a bit more consistent, and sitting ~14.7:1 AFR at light throttle cruise and mostly between 12-13AFR when accelerating hard.

14111005087_6c43231f3e_o_d.jpg

Change in the VVC actuation, now being able to get the VVC coming in much earlier in the rev range (Full VVC at 2500rpm compared to getting it fully on at 4000rpm before), causing a nice steady increase in the fuel requirement where before there was a couple of dips in demand
14317666113_ca07704f7c_o_d.jpg

Firstly mapped with the VVC off to get a base line, by driving and selecting the relevant load points of revs/throttle position that were being used for normal driving/cruise speeds.

Then, blocking the accelerator at different part throttle positions, starting at 48% throttle and doing in gear acceleration tests at the set throttle position from 1500rpm - 2500rpm and then adjusting the fuel to try and get it around 13:1 AFR. Once that was dialled in, repeated the acceration from 1500rpm to 3000 and so on working down to 12:1 AFR at higher revs, untill that was all the 48% throttle dialled in.
This was then repeated at 58%, 71%, 85% and finally full throttle.

Then, I dialled in full VVC to check if the engine now needed more or less fuel. If it needed less fuel by showing a richer AFR than previous, that would be caused by there being less air avaliable so the VVC was working against me. At these areas, I switched the VVC back off and then set about reworking the acceleration mapping once more.

Some areas it has needed less fuel and some areas, quite a bit more. Need a dyno run to confim but, I'm guessing its probably lost a little bit of the top end power but mid range should have increased and be a bit smoother...

20140529_180530.jpg
Being as I dont smoke, thats much more usefull :cool:

Lighter socket is now relocated into the glove box, which works out nicely, as theres a hole almost ready to use. Just punch out the center and the socket can be clipped in.

singlespeed":202w0wcb said:

Being as I dont smoke, thats much more usefull :cool:

Lighter socket is now relocated into the glove box, which works out nicely, as theres a hole almost ready to use. Just punch out the center and the socket can be clipped in.
I may be being dumb but what is this?

Thats the gauge part of a wideband Lambda sensor. The new sensor is fitted in the downpipe to monitor the exhaust gassed oxygen/fuel content to show the Air Fuel Ratio.

Its the readings from this that meant I could adjust the mapping.

singlespeed":11re446m said:
Thats the gauge part of a wideband Lambda sensor. The new sensor is fitted in the downpipe to monitor the exhaust gassed oxygen/fuel content to show the Air Fuel Ratio.

Makes sense now :) that's pretty cool

The gauge looks awsome :!:

singlespeed":3oa0goqo said:
One of the guys from Greece or somewhere hot has a set of Ultralegarras
There's a 133 local to me with dark Wolfrace rims with a red band rim
Thats me :D
I have Allegeritas (titanium the colour)

singlespeed":3jxha1gv said:

Have to admit I thought it was a lap timer :oops:
Very tidy though! Guess you could fit a digital oil pressure/temp in same location, what make is it?

Have to admit I thought it was a lap timer :oops:
Very tidy though! Guess you could fit a digital oil pressure/temp in same location, what make is it?
That's a Stack gauge

that's just about spot on neil, when we measured it up we done all the bends but we didn't bother to look at the msa specs for thickness so that's blooming handy! great work as always mr van-man :D

MovingShadow":10ykkcuo said:
Oh okay. I was wondering if you were trying to make it as a van so you'd pay the taxes of light freight vehicle (so you pay less taxes).
Wouldn't be the first porsche or megane RS registered as a light freight vehicle.
Here vans pay more tax than cars

Neil, if thats done by Auto cad you should be able to get it to list the bend angles.