short shift

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowerpowerdave

Reaction score
ok, dont lol but, is the twingo 5 speed gearbox anything similar to the Ford mk7 fiesta box? cos seen a couple of short shifter kits from Steeda and Mountune realativitly priced and wondered if they could be "adapted" to fit. Or anyone know a off the shelf item that fits?

flowerpowerdave":24v8abxn said:
ok, dont lol but, is the twingo 5 speed gearbox anything similar to the Ford mk7 fiesta box? cos seen a couple of short shifter kits from Steeda and Mountune realativitly priced and wondered if they could be "adapted" to fit. Or anyone know a off the shelf item that fits?

nope, although there at JC / JH series clio short shifters out there that should work just fine...obviously, i can't 100% confirm that but being renault, it's worth their while to reuse the same interconnecting parts over and over again as a money saving exercise :) look into it a little further, you can remove your gear linkage etc for inspection to cross compare the both!

oscar":10v0jcl6 said:
flowerpowerdave":10v0jcl6 said:

nope, although there at JC / JH series clio short shifters out there that should work just fine...obviously, i can't 100% confirm that but being renault, it's worth their while to reuse the same interconnecting parts over and over again as a money saving exercise :) look into it a little further, you can remove your gear linkage etc for inspection to cross compare the both!

if i remember correctly clio gearboxes are with a solid gear linkage (that moves back and forth) that chooses the gears and with the Twingo it is cable operated to choose gears

what you want to do is change the fulcrum (pivoting point) of the existing gear stick to achieve a 'short shift'. regardless of what type you have ghostz, you can buy something called a short shifter adapter which cups the existing ball socket and alters the fulcrum leaving you with a short shift.

or with basic fabrication, as seen here the 'black' one is aftermarket. the cream coloured one is oem (not renault obviously). the black one is adjustable. the bottom of the adjustment is stock shift length, moving the screw upwards moves the fulcrum point and therefore shortens the shift. i'm sure you could buy one from a car being broken, and experiment with some fabrication!

short_shifter.jpg