Slightly low idle rpm - Is my cam timing out?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam2k90

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just got a Twingo RS last week and generally it's been fine - but after seeing a post on a facebook group I had a query I was hoping someone may be able to help me with.

My car idles at 700rpm once warm (if cold it will initially idle at around 1-1.2k rpm for a little bit, then drop to 800 for a short while. After this it will then rest at 700rpm after about 40 to 60 seconds of warming up). As far as I can tell the car drives fine (and it doesn't have a lumpy idle etc), so I'm hoping there is nothing to worry about. However, a post popped up on the facebook owners group where another member had their cambelt and waterpump changed and there idle had dropped to around 600-750rpm. The common consensus was that his timing was slightly out. My cars cambelt etc was changed in December 2020. As this was before I purchased it, I have no benchmark to compare what it's idle was before, but reading online it seems it should be 800/850 rpm?

So, I have two questions:

1) Should I be worried about my cars behaviour at idle (i.e. is my cam timing slightly out)?
2) If my timing is slightly out, is this something I can leave for the time being without damaging my engine (obviously there may be a slight loss of power I assume)?

The car seems to drive fine and feels fairly strong, so I'm hoping I won't have to shell out for a new cambelt etc!

Thanks in advance.