THE CAR'S JUST BEEN HIT!!!!! Gutted.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AS_BO

Reaction score
qysy7ypy.jpg
7e6ere5a.jpg
ygahu4y5.jpg
ysa2ynab.jpg
ga6e2e4y.jpg
hunuvuqy.jpg

Pulled up outside the in laws and the woman over the way backed out of her drive, didn't look at all. Wallop, straight into the side of the car, tow bar did most of the damage. From what I can see it needs a door and a rear quarter. Gutted.

hope you've declared those forza seats to your insurance man lol, that's a bit of a kick to the stones. how did it happen? hope you have all the drivers details! that looks to be a simple enough repair so don't worry about that. that's only a little dink

oscar":19x1732l said:
hope you've declared those forza seats to your insurance man lol, that's a bit of a kick to the stones. how did it happen? hope you have all the drivers details! that looks to be a simple enough repair so don't worry about that. that's only a little dink

Yeah dude let's hope so eh?!?! I've never done this so I'm assuming that I just call her insurance company and lodge a claim??

need a police accident report number within 24 hours of the accident, phone your insurance company first to inform them that you've had an accident that wasn't your fault (incase the other party tries to claim it as your fault) and then phone their insurance company up to lodge an accident claim. it's a relatively simple process, next thing to do will be to get a quote for repair and then choose your place of repair. remember that insurance companies have no say in where the car gets repaired, so swiftly tell them where to run and jump if they try to get you to agree to have it done at their recommended place!

oscar":1l9pz47g said:
need a police accident report number within 24 hours of the accident, phone your insurance company first to inform them that you've had an accident that wasn't your fault (incase the other party tries to claim it as your fault) and then phone their insurance company up to lodge an accident claim. it's a relatively simple process, next thing to do will be to get a quote for repair and then choose your place of repair. remember that insurance companies have no say in where the car gets repaired, so swiftly tell them where to run and jump if they try to get you to agree to have it done at their recommended place!

Ah ******* shit! I've already agreed it, can I stop that? The place seems reputable from what I've seen. I've rang my insurers and told them, the wife that hit me is calling her insurers tomorrow. What sort of options do I have then? I need a courtesy car but of course I want the car done right. Also, will this bump be recorded on the car history I.e. If the car was HPI checked although it may not be a cat d etc would it show up?

Don't always disregard the place the insurance pushes you towards, just check them out first.

The fabia was dinked recently, the insurance stated where it would be going too. I didn't accept straight away and did some checking. Rang the local Skoda dealer about a cost for the fix and it turns out that it was the same body shop they use. Turns out the place is one of two in the NW (fully) certified buy Porsche, also by Bentley etc etc. Good enough for 9k worth of Skoda.

in our case, by going with them the work is guaranteed for ten years. Else where three years tops. The work they did is spot on.

So if I've already spoken the insurers third party repairer and they've sent confirmation through then where do I stand if I want it done elsewhere?

phone up and tell them you want the car repaired at your place of choice. they have no right to tell you where it will be repaired, this is your choice and nobody else's choice ; by law. the reason they hint at you more than gently to go with them, is because they are the ones who make the bloody profit from your crash - NO CHANCE! a good body shop locally that you know does good work is all you need mate, so that your dirty insurance company don't get their pockets lined by your misfortune. the insurance business is a dodgy as the banking system, i would not let an insurance company get a penny out of me after my premiums paid.

edit - you will need quotes ready, and these quotes i can guarantee you that they will be a lot cheaper than their prices. and the work will be just as good, if not better. somewhere that fixes a porsche, ferarri or a nissan micra it doesn't matter because a cars a car.

Oscar, I do think it can add to a places credablity if they can proudly fly the flag of a brand such as those, in this case there is a layer of training the staff have to go though and not just a 'it will buff out mate' . not something I would solely base a discission on I would like too add.

It is up to you and yes the body shop (recommended or not) will milk the insurance company but that's the system, a little stand isn't going to change this, all you should care about is getting the job done right. If there are advantages to get it do by thier recommended place, what's the problem?

Worth getting the list to see what places are on the preferred list, there maybe something good on it. As stated the work we had done is guaranteed for ten years, purely as this was done though the insurers. The same work carried out at the same place but paid by myself directly would of got three years warranty.

Its your car, don't have anyone working on it your not happy with. You can back out, But I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that as its backed by a insurance company its going to be shit. Do some checking around.

I made mistake having my twingo repaired at a garage the insurance company insisted on and I refused the car as the job was shocking. Get best garage you can. I'd say if you can get renualt to fix the car then that's possibly the better option?

insurance companies own the garages or have a financial stake in the garages they send their cars to for repair. that is the only reason they recommend you have the car repaired there, so that their pockets can be lined from your misfortunes. their recommendation is no indication of the quality of work they put out. we have had a lot of repair jobs come in through insurance companies where the mechanical repair or most prominently the body work was refused by the customer. my most memorable giggle being a black top of the range audi tt that was glossy but the repair was sprayed close enough to satin black and this was through admiral who send their claims in the west of scotland to one un-named place in glasgow. if i was a body shop guy, no doubt my business would be kept afloat by admiral's sloppy seconds. i wouldn't worry about a 10 year warranty either, about 90% of the folk on here won't have their twingo's in 2 years time anyway :p

oscar":2u4ap219 said:
insurance companies own the garages or have a financial stake in the garages they send their cars to for repair. that is the only reason they recommend you have the car repaired there, so that their pockets can be lined from your misfortunes. their recommendation is no indication of the quality of work they put out. we have had a lot of repair jobs come in through insurance companies where the mechanical repair or most prominently the body work was refused by the customer. my most memorable giggle being a black top of the range audi tt that was glossy but the repair was sprayed close enough to satin black and this was through admiral who send their claims in the west of scotland to one un-named place in glasgow. if i was a body shop guy, no doubt my business would be kept afloat by admiral's sloppy seconds. i wouldn't worry about a 10 year warranty either, about 90% of the folk on here won't have their twingo's in 2 years time anyway :p

Thanks Dave, settles my mind really. I've been to the body shop today and they look reputable however I haven't seen any examples of any similar work. Upto now the engineer said that it's looking like a new door and either pin pulling the rear quarter or replacing it altogether then shoot that side of the car. My concern is that the creases in the sill and rear quarter panel won't come out altogether. There is only one more body shop I'd look at so I'll have a chat with them tomorrow. What do you reckon the chances are of billing them for a detail after the work has been done? The car will be a mess from the body shop and I won't have the time to do it myself.

What do you reckon the chances are of billing them for a detail after the work has been done? The car will be a mess from the body shop and I won't have the time to do it myself.

you'll have the paintwork machine cut and polished & waxed. at least that's what our body shop does on every paint job, but this will only be on the part that's been painted. the sills always look like the worst bit, but they're usually the easiest parts to replace. best option will be to pin and pull the rear quarter panel, but i'd leave that in the hands of a skilled panel beater. that would leave you with lots of filler though, so it could be worth while to go down the new quarter panel route!

What do you reckon the chances are of billing them for a detail after the work has been done? The car will be a mess from the body shop and I won't have the time to do it myself.

you'll have the paintwork machine cut and polished & waxed. at least that's what our body shop does on every paint job, but this will only be on the part that's been painted. the sills always look like the worst bit, but they're usually the easiest parts to replace. best option will be to pin and pull the rear quarter panel, but i'd leave that in the hands of a skilled panel beater. that would leave you with lots of filler though, so it could be worth while to go down the new quarter panel route!

oscar":6mn8vonu said:

Yeah that was my thoughts - then there is the risk of the filler sinking which I don't want. I'll see what they come back with. As for the detail I know the paint should be cut and polished by the body shop but that is my point, only on the one side. Might see if I can push them for it because as it stands right now the paint is pretty much showroom fresh and I don't want any overspray or mismatch at all.

best thing you can do is have a word with them, after all they make an extra few buck and you're happy and both go home at night with a smile on your faces having rinsed another bunch of insurance company crooks out of an extra few quid :) lol

UPDATE - it's back from the bodyshop. Pictures to follow. I'm just spending a little time getting reacquainted with her! Out of the 5 months I've owned it I've only driven it for 3 and a half of them!
Don't think I'm happy with the work though. Does anyone know what would cause what looks like a "dip" in the paint? Physically there is no dent in the body but if you cast your eye over the panel reflections distort and it's clear as day. Any ideas?