Tyre pressures

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggi200

Reaction score
So today, heading home, came off the dual carriage way early to take the backroads back, not actually driven my car how it really wants to be yet so thought i would get a feel for it. Came around a corner, saw it was clear and booted it, only for a truck coming the other way to come onto my side of the road, so I braked harder than I've had to yet. Now the back end twitched badly. Was not confident inspiring at all, so I went carefully home thinking it through. When I got back, I took the tyre pressures. I let the tyres cool first, they were all between 40 and 41psi :shock: this is how it came from renualt! No wonder it was that skittish!! Anyways, I've now adjusted them to recommended and can safely say it's much more solid and i feel much more confident. But to say I'm shocked, and even concerened, is an understatement!

Oh dear, that's basically 10psi out! Rather shocking but unfortunately nothing they would do to compensate if there were an accident.

Now to go out and brake hard again (under controlled conditions) with the correct psi and get your confidence back :)

Dunno but I'm pretty sure the tyre pressures are part of the PDI which is signed off to say a car is road worthy. Now tyres which are under inflated carry a penalty and I'm sure 10psi or so below would warrant that. 10PSI would probably show neglect at the PDI stage. For some reason, although i checekd the car over thoroughly as soon as I got it, oil, fluids and the like, pressures was the one thing I hadn't checked until now!

Looks like they were left at the transit/storage pressures?

so what is the recommended pressrue for 133 cup tyres (195/40/17)? Not sure which tyres you are on about ha

There are some rough people in the motor trade just out to make quick bonus. I'd check the wheel bolts aswel just to be safe

Depends on the speed rating from the sticker as there are 2 sets of them in that size which differ.

And wheels have come off already for protection so no worries there.

same reaily mine twiches a bit just a matter of finding a garage with a compleatly flat ground to do it !

Twingogeekeo":zyve05zk said:
Why cant some dealers get it right !

Because as soon as they've got your money, they just want you to eff off and stop making their precious forecourt look untidy :twisted:

My tyre pressures were also higher than the stated amount when I picked up my car, not as high as yours though :shock: Just 1-2 psi higher all round

I'm still adjusting them, the car doesn't feel quite right. Not wrong, just not right, it's certainly receptive to changes in tyre pressures. Taking it up to black boots to see what they say about the geometry whilst I'm at it too.

maggi112":2vrdhqj9 said:
I'm still adjusting them, the car doesn't feel quite right. Not wrong, just not right, it's certainly receptive to changes in tyre pressures. Taking it up to black boots to see what they say about the geometry whilst I'm at it too.

Have you read the door shuts that tell you the correct pressures ?

Twingogeekeo":171r5v7a said:
maggi112":171r5v7a said:

Have you read the door shuts that tell you the correct pressures ?
Think the answer is quite obvious mate ;)

maggi112":1876ogo0 said:
Yes I have read them and that's what they were reset to, but I just wanna fine tune them to my driving tastes is all :)

Fair play but i dont know if it would help your tyres