Valve Stem Sealing

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agnesjacob180

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to start a discussion about valve stems and getting them to seal.
I just got a new carbon wheelset (BTLOS) to replace my stock Giant XC1 wheels. When I set up the XC1's tubeless I used Stan's tape and didn't have any issues. When setting up my new carbon rims I had heard Stan's sometimes has issues with sticking to the carbon so I went with Kapton tape. I used TruckerCo valves.

Since I couldn't find the right width for my id30 rims I got 19mm and wrapped twice edge to edge. I poked a round hole with an awl and sealed everything up. It didn't hold air for more than an hour. Thinking it was my wrap job I rewrapped and tried again. I did this a third time with the same results and said screw it and ordered some Stan's 33mm tape.

When it came (from Amazon) it was a crap roll that was delaminating in the middle so I sent it back.

I rewrapped again and this time instead of poking a hole, I files out the valve hole completely. This did the trick. Holds air perfectly now.
Do many others file out the valve hole? I've on'y heard this suggested once (I forget where).

Reference:
https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/

comprehensive video analytics