Weak coils a known issue?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Si58

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking to buy an RS twingo soon. I’ve seen one that has good mileage however looking at the MOT history it’s had issues with the coils cracking on separate sides over the course of several years plus a host of other suspension and break related issues. Given that it’s got well below average miles it’s made me think twice. Not sure if it’s a known issue or it’s been taken off-roading or something? Any help or insight is appreciated

Hello, welcome to the forums and thanks for joining. Hope someone hears and is able to assist you.

I guess it depends. If it is CUP chassis, it is sensitive to road quality, hitting pots etc., since in general they are very stiff and hard coils. I have CUP chassis. My rear right coil was dead after 55k km. My right front coil was dead after 70k km. I blame it on driving at the city with bad surface quality, pots, holes etc.... Also CUP coils are much, much pricier then no-CUPS.

I guess it depends. If it is CUP chassis, it is sensitive to road quality, hitting pots etc., since in general they are very stiff and hard coils. I have CUP chassis. My rear right coil was dead after 55k km. My right front coil was dead after 70k km. I blame it on driving at the city with bad surface quality, pots, holes etc.... Also CUP coils are much, much pricier then no-CUPS.
Ok makes sense thanks, car is sold now so I was likely being too cautious, but the low mileage combined with the multiple issues seemed weird. Anyway back to the hunt for a good example

Good hunt, mate. Generally I had no single issue with the car in 10+ years and 95k km (failure wise). Just make sure chassis, steering rack, exhaust, are in good shape, since many parts are no longer available OEM and/or new. Apart from that it is good old analog naturally aspirated pocket rocket with not many things that could go wrong.