wheels and tyres - What sizes work

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.

I wasn't sure what the ET numbers represented. So far the wheels I've seen online are usually around ET38...

I think I'll go with the same width tyre (195) on a 16" wheel, increasing from 40 to 45 for profile. Just want to feel the lumps/bumps less.

I'm on a cup chassis so assume that's lower than standard and I've not made any adjustments to lower further.

For next Tima Attack season i was lloking for 205/40R17 Toyo-s, but they are not avaidable here in 2 weeks

my mom's citroen has 16" wheels, which she doesn't use any more, and i bought 2 toyo R888's for the front, which are 195/50R16, and 2 federal RS-R (205/45R16) on the back

now i just found out that those 16 alloys are only 6 wide
this season i was runing the stock tyres and alloys

195 looked little small on the 17x7 CUP alloys, but now is it even safe to run the 205's on the rear, on a 6 inch alloy?

and i'm not even sure about the citroen 16 weight, but it must be lower than the 17s on the twingo.

any idea? maybe i should buy a good 16x6,5 light alloy set?

LSL1337":3pp6tah8 said:
For next Tima Attack season i was lloking for 205/40R17 Toyo-s, but they are not avaidable here in 2 weeks

my mom's citroen has 16" wheels, which she doesn't use any more, and i bought 2 toyo R888's for the front, which are 195/50R16, and 2 federal RS-R (205/45R16) on the back

now i just found out that those 16 alloys are only 6 wide
this season i was runing the stock tyres and alloys

195 looked little small on the 17x7 CUP alloys, but now is it even safe to run the 205's on the rear, on a 6 inch alloy?

and i'm not even sure about the citroen 16 weight, but it must be lower than the 17s on the twingo.

any idea? maybe i should buy a good 16x6,5 light alloy set?
Will the Citron wheels actually fit on the Twingo hubs. I thought most of them were 4x108 and the few that are 4x100 have a smaller center bore ???

I don't have them on my, i can't check, but it's a c3 picasso 16" Blade alloy

any website, where i can check the details maybe?

https://www.caraccessoriesplus.co.uk/product/citroen-c3-picasso-16-alloy-wheel-blade.html looks like this

can't it be fixed with some 'converter' (i don't know much about wheels :( )

anyway, 205mm on 16x6, is it safe in track even?

i searched for wheel hub, and it looks like its 108 like you said

looks like i need to find a new set of alloys as well, great...

this season starting little pricey...

LSL1337":hnirw33s said:
last question, why does the middle part count?, is it just because of the renault plastic caps, or something else?

Wheel bolts don't support or center the wheel on the hub, they just keep it clamped inplace.

The hub spiggot which sticks out of the hub, locates in the hole in the center of the wheel to keep the rim and tyre centered about the hub. If it was off center, then you would get a lot of vibration and put stress on the suspension and wheel bolts.

If the hole in the wheel is less than 60.1mm (Twingo size) then it simply won't fit on the hub. If its larger, there will be no support unless centering rings are used to reduce it... Most aftermarket wheels come with a large center bore (67mm is common) and they will be supplied with 67-60.1mm centering rings or whatever is required.

neils right man, citroen rims of any variety will not fit onto a renault as the centre hub is smaller. i can understand that some folk just see 4x100 and think WIN! though. even with spigot rings, there is added stress on your lugs or bolts and all the weight isn't placed over the hub, i've seen some terrible accidents with non hubcentric wheels but i've also seen people run spigot rings for a long time with no problems, it's touch and go really.

good luck in your search for some nice cheap wheels though, you'll be able to find lots of cheap 172/182 OEM wheels for 150-200 pounds, posted.

Another set that works - Michelin PS3 205/40/17 XL on Cup rims/chassis. Can confirm no rubbing in all but the most extreme cornering (not that it rubs then, just haven't tried).

Why Renault didn't fit this size as standard from the get go really boggles the mind. Small difference, but IMO looks much better. Not to mention the rim protection.

PS Just try not to run over a blade snap off in the first 10km like I did :x

My summer set up: OZ Superturismo (black) with Bridgestone RE002 Adrenalin (195/50 R 15).

Attachments

• Twingo RS Cup.jpg
    Twingo RS Cup.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 117
If a hub center is too small you can actually make it fit by drilling it out so it becomes larger.
Who was at FCS probably noticed the Megane on airride with the Audi A8 wheels. Normally those wheels have a center hub that's too small but he had it drilled out so it would fit (ofcourse he didn't do this himself but a workshop did it for him).
Same principal when you want to make the ET higher.

Hi,

Looking at upgrading wheels in the future to Team Dynamics pro race 1.2, never done this before so just wanted to check if anyones run these?

I've got a Twingo GT I'm planning in future to lower it with the spaxx springs which are 30/40mm drop

The set up i was considering was 15 Inch diameter, 7 inch width, and a 35 offset

Can anyone see an issue with this setup?

Many Thanks,
Leox5000

no issue mate, the oem rims are 6 inches wide with a 36 or 38 offset. fair amount of space between the caliper and wheel still!!!!

7 inch wheels will be fine, if we assume 35 is near enough the same offset as factory then you'll have an extra inch of wheel, that means it will poke further outwards by 12.5 mm or therabouts but this also means clearance between the inside of the wheel and the inner arch will be reduced by 12.5mm

you'll be fine mate. i was running 205 / 40 / 17 on an old set of temporary rims i had a while ago and they were fine, no rubbing on full lock at oem ride height.

oscar":mwap34c8 said:
no issue mate, the oem rims are 6 inches wide with a 36 or 38 offset. fair amount of space between the caliper and wheel still!!!!

7 inch wheels will be fine, if we assume 35 is near enough the same offset as factory then you'll have an extra inch of wheel, that means it will poke further outwards by 12.5 mm or therabouts but this also means clearance between the inside of the wheel and the inner arch will be reduced by 12.5mm

you'll be fine mate. i was running 205 / 40 / 17 on an old set of temporary rims i had a while ago and they were fine, no rubbing on full lock at oem ride height.
same with my Halfords specials

Hi everyone i have a 133 non cup model with 16" wheel i would like to change for
7x17 , ET 45 with 205/40/17 84w , is it ok? Thanks a lot

bryan06":1qg19f6h said:
Hi everyone i have a 133 non cup model with 16" wheel i would like to change for
7x17 , ET 45 with 205/40/17 84w , is it ok? Thanks a lot

its fine don't know about the offset though someone should be able to confirm

RS models
17's
7x17 ET55 is the standard Cup wheel as fitted with 195/40/17

7x17 ET55 with 205/40/17 is a common replacement tyre and was rumoured to be standard fit to the facelift RS133 for a while

Below ET43, the 205/40/17 will probably rub the front arch on full lock and the rears will rub when loaded

7x17 ET35 have the face of the wheel flush with the outer edge of the wheel arch. 195/40/17 fits but the rear arches can rub when loaded

page 1 of this very thread dude, neils post. tells you everything *sigh*

It may depend on the shape of the tyre, as not all tyres are equal. Yes it may say 205/40/17 (still applies to all other sizes too) but a normal all season tyre from one company may have a rounded profile with narrow shoulders and an actual tread width of 200mm (guess). Meanwhile, a high performance/track based tyre with stiff sidewalls may have very square shoulders and so have a wider tread like 207mm (guess).

ET43 is around the point where rubbing may become an issue, so tyre choice makes it very difficult to say for certain. Also, one persons occasional rub may be perfect whilst someone else could be unhappy with it.

singlespeed":1ennrfyb said:
It may depend on the shape of the tyre, as not all tyres are equal. Yes it may say 205/40/17 (still applies to all other sizes too) but a normal all season tyre from one company may have a rounded profile with narrow shoulders and an actual tread width of 200mm (guess). Meanwhile, a high performance/track based tyre with stiff sidewalls may have very square shoulders and so have a wider tread like 207mm (guess).

ET43 is around the point where rubbing may become an issue, so tyre choice makes it very difficult to say for certain. Also, one persons occasional rub may be perfect whilst someone else could be unhappy with it.
oscar":1ennrfyb said:
RS models
17's
7x17 ET55 is the standard Cup wheel as fitted with 195/40/17

7x17 ET55 with 205/40/17 is a common replacement tyre and was rumoured to be standard fit to the facelift RS133 for a while

Below ET43, the 205/40/17 will probably rub the front arch on full lock and the rears will rub when loaded

7x17 ET35 have the face of the wheel flush with the outer edge of the wheel arch. 195/40/17 fits but the rear arches can rub when loaded

page 1 of this very thread dude, neils post. tells you everything *sigh*

thanks for you answer, but i'm french and don't speack very well english, so below ET43 it will rub ? so ET 45 is ok ?
The tyres are with 4 michelin pilot sport 3 if it is the answer ...

ET43 will be borderline on 17x7 205/40/17. ET 43 is really close to the point where tyres will rub slightly, unfortunately there is only one way to find out :)