wheels and tyres - What sizes work

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oscar":1r2vfc4n said:
ET43 will be borderline on 17x7 205/40/17. ET 43 is really close to the point where tyres will rub slightly, unfortunately there is only one way to find out :)

The only way is to try ? ^^

unfortunately yes :) perhaps someone has tried this exact set up, but most of the frequent members stick to what they know works and don't take too many risks. you could wait years for an answer, so realistically the only way to find out is to give that set up a try. you'll probably find that the tyre shop will be happy to fit two worn tyres so that you can dive out for a quick drive on used tyres of the same size to see if they rub, if they don't rub at your ride height then you're onto a winner.

however tread depth could play a factor, these may not rub because the low tread depth is the deciding factor. a full tread depth of 6-7mm may rub which is exactly why the only way to find out is to try :) hope this helps

MovingShadow":3vvd44vs said:
Lowered on coilovers with 17's et 37 with 205 rubs but only when on full lock.
But thats on your Wind Matteo. I think your rear arches are different, by not having such a large lip inside the top of the extensions.

Actually that lip was there.
I do remember that it touched the lip when the car was heavily loaded.

But the lip has been grinded away now and flattened with a hammer, TopGear style.

Ok thanks for you answer! i prefer do not take any risks and it is complicated because the pack wheel and tyres is sold by not a professional so i dońt think he will let me try the four wheels and try again with many people :D

LEOX5000":1oo1h8q7 said:
Hi,

Looking at upgrading wheels in the future to Team Dynamics pro race 1.2, never done this before so just wanted to check if anyones run these?

I've got a Twingo GT I'm planning in future to lower it with the spaxx springs which are 30/40mm drop

The set up i was considering was 15 Inch diameter, 7 inch width, and a 35 offset

Can anyone see an issue with this setup?

Many Thanks,
Leox5000

I assume the suspension / brakes is the same as mine (1.2 16V) as I've just put a set of Team Dynamics on which are 15" Dia (standard size for the 16V) x 7" width and an offset of 23, I was running with a 16mm spacer so I had the wheels made to remove them and the fit is spot on, the clearance on the inside is the same as a standard wheel but I've pushed the rim to the edge of the wing - I'm running 185 x 55 x 15" tyres.

Here's a pic with the old wheels on (ET36 + 16mm spacer)
IMG_1087.jpg

This is with the new wheels on:

IMG_12061.jpg

You can see the backs are filling the arch a lot better.

Here's one from the back:

IMG_12051.jpg

And finally the wheel in detail - it's gloss anthracite (suits the car better than black) you can see they have a deep central dish - makes the wheel look solid - well I think so, handling is better as well now.

IMG_12041.jpg

Hopes this helps you make up your mind, messing about with offset can make so much difference.

Rob.

Hi, i would like to know what do you think about twingo rs non cup with 15' wheels in 195/50/15 and only lowering springs Apex without change the suspension , the handling will be good ? because coilovers are too expansive , thanks a lot

I'm thinking of getting some sexy new wheels soon finally. Currently on non cup 205 45 16.

Wanna go for grids I think, but I'm torn between going down to 15 or going up to 17.

For 17s i can get either 7.5j with et45 which will fit no problem, or 9j et25 which I'm gonna assume will not fit without spacers. The only thing I'm worried about is the mental amout of poke it might cause! Anyone got any opinions on wether or not it's a silly idea?

9J and ET25 will poke out 54mm more than your standard wheels. And thats before adding spacers which will make the situation worse ;)

singlespeed":3ov987bj said:
9J and ET25 will poke out 54mm more than your standard wheels. And thats before adding spacers which will make the situation worse ;)

Hmmm, perhaps a bit too much poke....but just imagine the dish and the concave :( unless I can get some over fenders ;)

Maybe I'll just play it simple/easy/cheaper and go for the 7.5j :lol:

ollie - i'm getting rota grid v 15x7 et 20. equates to about a 29mm poke out over my GT's wheels from offset 36/38 or whatever it is :) with a couple of mm less space on the inside of the wheel, but not much to write home about. it should be around the point of being flush with the arch and may require camber adjustment but may not. it should be similar to how neils sit with regards to being flush with the arches .... offset wizardry!

oscar":17qdpidc said:
ollie - i'm getting rota grid v 15x7 et 20. equates to about a 29mm poke out over my GT's wheels from offset 36/38 or whatever it is :) with a couple of mm less space on the inside of the wheel, but not much to write home about. it should be around the point of being flush with the arch and may require camber adjustment but may not. it should be similar to how neils sit with regards to being flush with the arches .... offset wizardry!

Offset wizardry indeed! Looking on Rota Store I found Rota Grids, 17 x 7.5 ET45 and apparently the AD08 tyres you can get as a package are 235 wide...maybe a little too much I think, as that width along with spacers would cause too much poke. Looks like 15s might be the way to go for the twingo

Thanks though :)

For a couple of weeks I've been looking at some light weights Rota's in 15" (Neil has a bad influence) wrapped in some Toyo T1-r's.
Slipstream, Grid, Flush or OSR's are my choices.
There are also the Zero Plus but I'd reckon they look better on some oldskool JDM's

MovingShadow":3d5f2zkt said:
For a couple of weeks I've been looking at some light weights Rota's in 15" (Neil has a bad influence) wrapped in some Toyo T1-r's.
There are also the Zero Plus but I'd reckon they look better on some oldskool JDM's

Definitely Grids for me. I know they're most common Rota but they're so pretty. I'm probably gonna copy Oscar (soz) and go for 15 x 8 ET20 :D wrapped in AD08

Going up to 17s is just gonna cause too much hassle with spaces and camber etc

ollieallen":1k4ylrb3 said:
MovingShadow":1k4ylrb3 said:

Definitely Grids for me. I know they're most common Rota but they're so pretty. I'm probably gonna copy Oscar (soz) and go for 15 x 8 ET20 :D wrapped in AD08

Going up to 17s is just gonna cause too much hassle with spaces and camber etc
For the price alone of 15" tires makes me not even consider 17" anymore.

matteo in fairness though, with a select few tyres most notably the maxxis ma-z1 (i know i rave on and on about it lol) you can get 2x 17'' tyres for near enough the same price as 2x 15''s but i've got to agree that 15'' is the way forward on a twingo. it seems to give it a much more aggressive look and closely matches the shape of the arch in dimension where the 17'' would look a little bit out of place for those who wish to lower their cars

Also, I've been reading up on some different forums and on small hot hatches/roadster the best thing to do is smaller and lighter wheels so you get better performance and unsprung weight.

that's true, basically allowing the suspension to react faster which will in turn increase grip due to the faster reaction time of your dampers. it will in theory reduce the rotational mass which will get you to a higher rpm, faster :D

There's some 16 x 7J bronze rotas with tyres for sale on cliosport £325

We should get a fleet going I'm llooking at some neo chrome grids too