When do the disc need changing

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toni_133

Reaction score
My brakes havent been the best for a while, i think its the discs, but how do i check.

The discs themselves have lots of little lines on and when you run your finger over them you can feel the grooves!! is it time for me to change them?

Yeah sounds like they've had a lot of heat. Basically when there's a fair lip around the edge or they go like that, they're probably slightly warped too. Not too hard or expensive.

If there are cuts in the discs then it's likely that your pads are on the way out or have had grit under them for a while.

The discs should outlast the pads several times with normal use so I'd check the pads first. If the discs do need replacing (sounds like they do if they've got grooves) then you would notice a lip around the edge where the metal has worn down under the pads. When changing discs you need to change the pads too ideally.

I'm not a mechanic by the way so wait for some more opinions :)

IN which case it needs new discs, lines, pads, and an engine whilst their at it... :lol:

If you ever suggest something "might" need looking at, that and all the parts near it will need replacing all of a sudden

If you have grooves in you disc surface this could be anything a build up of brake dust then going hard and scooring the disc of even a little stone getting between the disc and the pad. But this doesnt mean you need to change the discs.

Also you might find you have wrapped discs from hard braking or braking so much the discs get to hot if this is the case then yes change the discs but if you are to change the discs i would recommend pads at the same time. Any marks or lines the onld pads have could then mark the new discs.