Yotah´s RS Cup "Nurburgring Edition" -> 204hp F4R832 swap.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yotah1":3598hny7 said:
Yeah, almost as soon as I had the car. My mechanic did it at the time. Pretty straight forward.

How did he do?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi Yotah,

Just read near enough the entire thread. Simply I ask... is a 197/200 engine & gerarbox a straight fit into a twingo 133? If so I will buy one this week and use my mates 197 engine and gearbox to power it.

It is...

To summarize the thing :
Dropping the engine and gearbox in it is fairly easy. Driveshafts actually fit the new gearbox and can take the abuse. But that's where it ends...

The lower left side subframe needs to be hammered away to fit the box, you must weld a new torque arm dogbone mount under the car, solid engine and gearbox mounts are a must have if you don't want the entire engine and gearbox knocking against your frame under heavy cornering, ecu must be standalone as Clio and Twingo speak two different coding languages unlike Meganes and Clios who share a lot of mapping together, 182 radiator is useful, as well as an extra oil cooler, 182 exhaust manifold is the only one that fits under the Twingo's cowl panel, and you need a Miltek downpipe to follow after that, original dash won't be able to display the engine data so you need a programmable dash, clio 197 gearbox cables and lever fit the Twingo even though it's tight. That's all i can think about right now...

It took us over a year to do the conversion properly, the main issue being the programming, even though my engine mapper was a Renault guru and it's actually his daily job to do stuff like that.

Just a quick update (more of a rant actually ... ) as some of you usually want news of the car. It is still parked away in a garage and I haven't been able to drive it since November 2016 :(

Unfortunately, work and life has got in the way of me having fun with the Twingo as I am currently stuck in the US with the impossibility to go to Europe due to some stupid paperwork! I miss the car, a lot, and am currently trying to figure out a way to go around the EPA and importation rules in the US in order to bring the car on american soil for a few years to track it here. It's all built and ready to run, and I'm not using it ! This is driving me nuts...
A good friend of mine has become friends with Ken Lingenfelter (the Corvette guru in the US) and we might have an opportunity to ship the car here under "manufacturer plates". I'm looking into this as I won't be able to go to the Nurburgring in 2017 (unless some good news come out of nowhere but I doubt it...). I still have future plans for the car, including a full cage, welding, upgrading the powerplant and doing some tidying up of the entire car. I don't know when it will happen but it will happen. I even thought about selling the car, and got some very decent offers for it that would have brought me back about 90% of the cash spent in it to upgrade it to its current setup, so not a bad deal. But I've spent too much time on that thing, not sure I could ever let it go, unless I total it someday... Even my girlfriend told me to keep it ...

In the meantime, I've been busy rebuilding my old Barracuda in the US, and recently got a new (big) toy to do a few trackdays here. It's actually, for once in my life, a sound investment as that thing is rare and only gets more value everyday, so that's a win-win situation :D

It's a bit different from the Twingo though, albeit being blue also

18673310.jpg

18739010.jpg

I hope I'll be able to "re-start" this thread sometime this year or in 2018 with news regarding the Twingo, and some track time!!!

About the US importing rules, I was planning on bringing my RS to the states for my internship and I read that you can drive a non-us registered car for as long as 1 year before having to register it. I almost had everything sorted out before someone hit my car and I couldn't fix the bumper in time for it to come along with me [emoji853]

You can bring it for 1 year on your original plates, as long as you still have a residence abroad, and you ship it back out of the US at the end of the year. It's not a "one year eriod before US registration" :(

I looked into that too, even looked into importing it as a racecar but that requires an FIA certified cage and fuel cell, which in itself costs 15k ...

Same thing trying to import it without engine and trans, and ship these separately ...

Hello guys

Just coming to give you some news as there will soon be new progress on the Twingo :)

I am now officially a permanent resident in the US, having just received my Green Card a couple of weeks ago. This was a long, complicated and costly process which meant I couldn't even leave the country while it was in process, which meant no track time with the Twingo, no seeing the family and friends, nothing. Not fun, but worth it in the end.

We also are working on a solution to bring the Twingo to the US so I can drive it again and work on it again, starting next year.

So in the meantime, I am keeping myself busy during what's left of my free time when I'm not working on the Barracuda project by doing a CAD model of what the Twingo will probably evolve into once it gets here.

SO here's a first screenshot of it to get your appetite going :)

Glad you have sorted the green card stuff. Sounds not fun at all. But can't wait to see if the twingo turns out like that. Looks absolutely f£&king nuts.

Looks aggressive! Be good to see how the CAD drawings progress with sideskirts etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There si finally going to be some progress again here!

I'm flying back to Europe in May to watch the Nurburgring 24h race with some friends. After the race, we'll spend a few days getting the car ready to pass its FIA racing certification. I'll put the R1 rollcage in it, new bucket seats from a partnership with Corbeau (Revenge X and Pro-Series custom designed seats) and new 6 point harnesses to replace the Schroth that I have now (along with the Recaro seats).
After that, the technical inspector from the FIA will go throuh the car and certify it for racing, then we'll put it in the container to ship it to the US along with my other car and my girlfriend's.

So around June this year we'll have the cars in the US and we'll start taking the little Twingo to some local tracks and have fun with it.

That's brilliant news about finding a way to get it to the US.
I am in the process of passporting my car for rallying in the UK its a lot of work the cage is complete in mine just have the rest of the safety equipment to do.

The Twingo is now in a new home with a friend of mine taking care of it. The german team who was storing it for me did a crappy job at that and didn't take any care about the car, so we have a lot of things to go through before it gets on track again.

It is also going to stay in Germany as the US have put some new regulations to limit the importation of racecars, meaning it's pretty pointless to try to get it over here. So in May i'll be in Europe with the goal to install the R1 rollcage, new Corbeau custom made bucket seats, repaint the interior, change the driveshafts as the CV joints are showing some wear and tear, and also trying to figure out what causes an horrible noise i the middle of the car when you put it in reverse ... Also one of the front brakes has seized this winter (awesome storage like I said...) and the accessory belt needs changing. We'll go through a few other things too on the car in hope of driving it before I have to fly bak to US.

In the meantime, i've been tinkering with the idea of completely changing its looks, and so here is what I will probably be doing for 2019.

b4b77610.jpg

Sorry to hear about the poor storage and treatment of your awesome car. I hate it when people and especially companies don't take care or my stuff or let me down. Worse it they do both. But the up and coming work sounds interesting and loving the new look if you go with it.

The 2 main boxes that are waiting for me with the car in germany...
I also have a new gearbox mount, brake caliper rebuild kit, new pads, new oil for the shocks, new battery, etc etc.

31285910.jpg

31390010.jpg

Seats are custom made for the car, matching the future livery. Cage is a R1 full FIA cage :)