2010 Freeway won't start, power steering light stays on.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals.

We have a problem with our 2010 Twingo, and I wonder if it's something that has been seen before. Can you please help?

The car's just had a service, and seems to be nearly immaculate. We bought secondhand from dealer 6 months ago.

Here's the story:

Yesterday we took it out for a 30 minute drive. On the way we noticed in 5th gear, at low revs there was a slight chattering sound, quietly, not in another gear.

When we arrive at the destination we drove somewhat over a log dictating the edge of the parking bay, only about 15 cm on to it, no sign of damage, pulled back off it. It was about 2cm higher that the air dam.

Get to destination, lock car. Come back 30 mins later, use keyfob unlock car.

Go play in the sun, come back an hour later.

Remote dead - no remote lock.
Key in ignition - all lights come on, then off leaving varible power assist steering light and spanner only.
Car will not crank, internal central locking button doesn't work.
Got lift to fetch spare key, no difference.
Car cannot be bump started [we had a hill to hand].

Is there a known fault? Is there a known electrical connection just above the nose of the car that can come loose with a scuff and render the car un-drivable? If one keyfob is flat does another work straight away, or is the immobiliser still on?

How long is the electronics warranty on a 2010 Twingo?

Lastly does anyone know where there is a fuse layout diagram???! In the handbook they're named, but there's no bloody diagram showing which fuse is which?!

If you have any idea or simple things I can try, please reply.

Thanks so much.

GfS and girlfriend

My Twingo I-music makes chattering sounds in 5th gear throughout the whole rev range. Renault don't have a fix for it :(

The car warranty may be gone for your Twingo.

I believe that some one had the same problem as you with the car not starting at all. They took one of the fuses out in the car then started it and it worked. I'll wait for someone a bit more techy to say how to fix it

Dubz":3sol3cwt said:
My Twingo I-music makes chattering sounds in 5th gear throughout the whole rev range. Renault don't have a fix for it :(

The car warranty may be gone for your Twingo.

I believe that some one had the same problem as you with the car not starting at all. They took one of the fuses out in the car then started it and it worked. I'll wait for someone a bit more techy to say how to fix it
Yeah there's a few off us had this now. Go through the fuse box and pull out then put back in the 5 amp fuses. Will try to find the previous thread of it. The fuse will reset the deadlock and everything should be fine again.

OK this sounds good so far guys! In our case the radio is still working, but I'll try the fuse thing. Also mentioned is disconnecting the battery - will this only loose the radio code, nothing else?

I'm really impressed with the effort that's going on here, might become my new favourite forum!

You could try disconnecting the battery which will do the same as the fuse. Not sure on radio code though sorry.

You could try disconnecting the battery which will do the same as the fuse. Not sure on radio code though sorry.

And "might become your new favourite forum" ??? Why isn't it already then huh?
P.s guessing you got stripes lol

gofasterstripes":keg39qlq said:
Aaah, believe it or not there's no stripes on the Twingo... it's just my name!

Gonna try the battery now.
Oh right, every twingo should have stripes.
Did you try the fuse? That's the easier option especially if it happens again whilst your out and have no tools

Removing the fuse for 10 minutes solved the problem. I heard a click like a relay when it came out.

For reference, if you can't see the picture of the fuse box, the fuse is a 5 Amp and it's location is: From the top RIGHT corner of the fuses, you look LEFT one and DOWN one to find the 5A. We left ours out for 10-15 Minutes.

This is amazing support people, I cannot thank you enough.

We'll paint the fuse with a white spot to see can see it in the future.

How many people are having this problem? I think I count 3 or 4 so far?

GfS

Glad it's sorted, 10-15 minutes is overkill about 5 seconds works for me.
As for who's had it, I had it twice on first twingo (extreme) and once on the rs so far. Neil has had it (several times* ), Carrie had it, you've had it......
It appears to becoming a nuisance too a few people. Maybe were just too cool

gofasterstripes":34hoz8md said:
Removing the fuse for 10 minutes solved the problem. I heard a click like a relay when it came out.

For reference, if you can't see the picture of the fuse box, the fuse is a 5 Amp and it's location is: From the top RIGHT corner of the fuses, you look LEFT one and DOWN one to find the 5A. We left ours out for 10-15 Minutes.

This is amazing support people, I cannot thank you enough.

We'll paint the fuse with a white spot to see can see it in the future.

How many people are having this problem? I think I count 3 or 4 so far?

GfS
If you heard the click then you could put the fuse straight back - No need to wait.

Mine did it once, then was well behaved for a while before a few lockouts in a week. Then well behaved again for a while. I know of at least another 133 to add onto the list as I had a phone call one evening asking which fuse to pull... I don't recall any other 1.2's mentioning it ;)

Good morning again guys.

Car's still running sweet, this does seem to be the "answer" for this problem, at least at the side of the road. The only thing bugging me is that upon recovery we were told that if the car suffers from the same problem again, we're not covered.

Just to put my mind at rest - does this not escalate quickly? We're not going to find the ECU dead after we do this trick 5 times are we?

Regarding the 15 mins, that was the length of time I was told to leave the battery d/c'd, so I thought I'd leave the fuse for the same time. To be honest, I'm sure it could have gone straight back in.

Thanks again for all your help, oh, and Singlespeed - are you a biker, as-in bicycle? That's my usual hobby, and singletrackworld is my usual forum (same username). Today - upgrading a cool Specialized town bike with 8 gears. Maybe next year turboing the Freeway (umm, well, yeah, it's not mine, it's the girlfriends - do you think she'd notice?) :) .

Laters

gofasterstripes":2dfkh2mz said:
Just to put my mind at rest - does this not escalate quickly? We're not going to find the ECU dead after we do this trick 5 times are we?
Mines probably done it 5 or 6 times total... A few in quick sucsession which I suspected was a downhill trend but its been fine since threatening it with a trip to the dealers. Whats the actual cause is a puzzle :?

I've kind of grown out of it (at least for a while) but used to ride a fair bit
singlespeed":2dfkh2mz said:
It has front suspension since these were taken
DSCF0167.jpg

Mount Keen, looking North East across Aberdeenshire
DSCF0185.jpg
https://www.twingo133.net/pub-talk/show-your-bikes-t88.html