2014 Formula 1 Season

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar

Reaction score
F1041213_3046705_jpg_20131205094451.jpg

f1_aus.gif

Race 1 : Melbourne
F1 TIMETABLE
Fri 15 March 2013
Practice 1 12:30 - 14:00
Practice 2 16:30 - 18:00
Sat 16 March 2013
Practice 3 14:00 - 15:00
Qualifying 17:00
Sun 17 March 2013
Race 17:00

so it's a new year, new younger drivers in top teams and new hybrid power train technology and new approaches to driving styles as well as the reintroduction of in season testing what will your predictions be for the season? to start this off, let's all open this up with season predictions. 3 predictions + a wildcard which can be as outlandish as you want :D

1 - Vettel to win the drivers championship after a shakey first five races
2 - Williams to return to glory battling it out for a narrow top 4 constructors
3 - Mercedes to win the constructors championship

Wildcard - Hamilton to win the championship, but he won't because he needs a punch in the face.

Awesome qualifying, almost a flashback to last years haha

That mercedes is just looking like a weapon, didnt even need the soft tyres in Q1. Tomorows race should be epic, Hami to win. And vettel to not finish.

Very enjoyable qualifying indeed :) . Looks like they really have to manhandle the car with the extra torque.

Maybe someone noticed to, but the Mercedes engined cars don't sound that good from the outside, but on-board they sound the best. While the Renault's have the best sound from the outside and on-board not so good. The difference in sound between the 3 engines is very noticeable.

I support the limited fuel regulations, but I think the FIA should have let the rest of it to the engine manufactures. Who knows what kind of brilliant innovations would have come from letting the geniuses at Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault run their imaginations wild.

Just watched quali having been at work all day, loved it

The Aussie cheer when Vettel failed to get into quali 3 was brilliant car clearly has pace with Ricciardo

Race will be great, let's see how many last the distance

if we leave all biases aside for now, surely there is nothing more intimidating in a pissed of and determined sebastian vettel in a wounded renault! remember brazil when he drove the impact damaged RB with the cracked exhaust pipe from retirement to the world championship? the more they overcome their issues, the harder he'll go just so he can silence people but i suppose that's the mindset of a champion who's being doubted!

i get the impression alonso has lost his love for the sport but i do hope this year with the raw power that he rekindles his love for the sport because he was a pleasure to watch when he chased people down.

it appears that real racing is back, for now! :D

What do we think of the sound??

I wasn't to keen at first but hearing them on track in anger now I like em! Really quite throaty, whirring and chirping away :D

gotta laugh at Lotus though HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

what a joke , a month behind on being race ready basically... so have no chance at all this season.

love the sound of then Nick, when kers whistles and the turbo chatters coming into a long breaking zone i sometimes have a small accident. not loud, but you can hear what you need to hear. reminds me of every rs megane i've driven really lol

As they're quieter you can hear tyres screeching too! I love that.

Would love to see Williams do well, the Martini livery is superb :)

the best part was being able to hear the fans for once, that and the tyres like you said nick it brings a whole new viewing dimension to the sport. also being able to hear when the kers was powering it's actually rekindled my love for it, as boring at times as i've thought it was i could still never turn away from it. formula 1 got me passionate about cars as a kid and made me fix rusted out bangers for a living :D

Ya right Oscar, I've always stuck with despite the boring years! When Schumacher dominated I really struggled and it was getting that way with Vettel, this years a real game changer can't wait to see how it pans out, I won't miss one test, quali or race, I'm lucky enough to be going to Monaco this year too, can't wait :)

I'm with Nick lurrrrve the Williams livery, as well as the McLarens. It's good to see 'none standard' names up there.

Personally I think they shouldn't be able to change the cars at all, what ever you race in Oz is exactly what you should race in Abu Dhabi. They're a handful and I love it!

so many people have went up in arms over the ''noise'' of the new cars. i just don't understand their angle, are we not watching the pinnacle of motorsport and cutting edge technology or are we still living in the stone ages like those chaps obviously are?

i also seen guys pissing and moaning about the green lights going out and the cars didn't scream noise noise noise. wheras i was sitting with my jaw on the floor watching all these non race tested technologies unfolding seeing bottas make a pass on raikkonen and then gunning down alonso, seeing the so called wounded red bull take 2nd even though they were disqualified i can gurantee you it will be reinstated because it was the FIA who made them use the offset on the fuel figures on a known defective fuel monitoring sensor. my highlights of the day was seeing mclaren making a return to form and williams returning to where they should be. did you all notice that in the sharper bends they dropped down a few gears to prevent spinning on the exits? taking corners in 4th gear at 70mph and 7,000 rpm lol then exiting and firing down two gears once straightened up? it's a completely new experience watching all this, i felt completely zoned in monitoring drivers techniques and listening to tyres as well as the kers systems working. with the V engines i never listened in closely or paid attention to drivers techniques :D

What's the point in the fuel flow monitor?

They all start with 100kg of fuel, so that's a known quantity.
I think if the teams choose to go flat out and run out before the end of the race, that would be their own problem. Teams that manage the fuel consumption to make the best of it shouldn't be hampered by the FIA and crap sensors. If they need more than 100kg/Hr whilst flat out, so be it, so long as the part throttle and off throttle consumption is sufficiently balanced to make the race distance at a competitive pace.

Stop ******* meddling with things that aren't actually needed :(

I didn't get that either.

They had the same fuel load and travelled the same distance. Unless they suspect that red bull have a way of storing more than the allocated fuel allowance I simply can't understand it

upgill.jpg

upgill2.jpg

these are the baddies in question. the idea is to accurately measure true fuel flow, including fuel return as the management measures from the injectors and this isn't the most accurate way of measuring fuel flow or so the FIA say. i can somewhat agree to that because it puts a limit on your fuel flow, thus limiting power of any given car regardless of ECM mapping to a certain power. alongside the introduction of a turbocharger and the ERS / KERS systems more than doubling the engines efficiency, the fuel flow rate of 100kg per hour is plenty but the manufacturer of the sensor themselves have admitted a 1.5% fail rating in development of these sensitive 'sonic sensors.

there is no set maximum fuel load for 2014 you can carry as much as you want but it would be pointless, merely adding unwanted weight. the fuel flow allowance is 100kg per hour maximum, and most races are 1 hours 40 minutes or so long on average. i'll leave you all to do the calculations yourself haha, but it seems a good few sources seem to have messed up completely on their wording of this rule (sat staring at the fia regulations as we speak, and it's not a fun place to be sat staring at! anal springs to mind!)

in my opinion, the enforcement of strict rules brings out the best thinkers and places a spotlight over the not so good thinkers all of whom shall be found out this season. pat symonds, toto wolff, adrian newey, eric boullier will all shine very strong this season

remember dude that you start out with x amount of fuel every race and the more the fuel burns off thus reducing weight, the lesser fuel you will use to maintain the same top speeds so to speak although this is pretty miniscule. this also increases the efficiency of the ERS / KERS systems as the fuel burns down and actually increases. it's bloody complicated, and i can only admit that i understand the broad basics of it but it does make sense to me. the fuel flow will be at it's highest at the start of the race where engine load is at it's greatest, mid race will be a cruise on set fuel flows where tyre management is the only strategy and then in the end of the race with a much lighter car and prime option tyres this is where the last of the fuel will be burned at full flow rates where the engine is at it's greatest and least greatest load.

but .... i'm kind of 50/50 on what side i'm on, because it's all dandy in theory isn't it? but in the real world, sure this technologys bloody fantastic but we just want to see williams flying fin kane it past the prancing horses as if it was a dacia sandero on a track day :)

8) Technical directive 01614 (1 March 2014) provides the methodology by which the sensor will be used, and, should the sensor fail, the method by which the alternate model could be used.

a. The technical directive starts by stating: "The homologated fuel flow sensor will be the primary measurement of the fuel flow and will be used to check compliance with articles 5.1.4 and 5.1.5 of the F1 technical regulations..." This is in conformity with articles 5.10.3 and 5.10.4 of the technical regulations.

https://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/12877/

There's 100Kg maximum fuel load. Also, 100Kg/Hr maximum flow.
Obviously they won't be at maximum fuel flow for an hour of the circa 1:40 race duration or they would be massively in the lead by lap 20 but unable to make the extra 35 laps to finish.

They need to balance the fuel requirement for the times of maximum flow Vs any performance loss from saving fuel at cruise pace and part throttle. Some of that may also need the balancing of engine temps against running leaner.

So, whats the real point in the flow meter???