205/40/17 on Cup wheels?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crizzle

Reaction score
Has anyone changed their 195/40/17 for 205/40/17 on a car with Cup wheels and springs? I'm assuming there will be room for these as I believe the new Cup comes with these from Renault (and I'm guessing the mechanics are the same - it's only a body facelift).

I'd like to change to these when my current set are finished, as ever sice I've bought the car I've thought the 195's look far too narrow for the wheels and give zero rim protection.

i've not got an issue with them. i've just put on 205/40/17 on mine and the ride improves abit.

there are lots of threads on this if you do a little searching

Think Renault confirmed that it is in fact still 195s not 205s. I changed to 205s and the front scrubbed under hard cornering once or twice but only slightly and hasn't since, although I've only driven spiritedly once or twice since

A few people have done it just for the extra protection of the rim, i haven't changed my tyres yet but i think the ones on mine are 205s

maggi112":29hfxpyu said:
Think Renault confirmed that it is in fact still 195s not 205s. I changed to 205s and the front scrubbed under hard cornering once or twice but only slightly and hasn't since, although I've only driven spiritedly once or twice since

You're right, I've just checked on the RS website and it does indeed say 195's on the spec. However, I followed a link from the official RS newsletter when they first launched the facelift and that definitely stated 205's because I made a note of it at the time (I wish I'd kept the link now), but I guess that was just pre-launch talk and they never went through with it.

I found this quote on pistonheads, "Regarding the 195/40/17 tyres - you can easily go to 205/40/17 for slightly cheaper tyres and a bit more sidewall protection (Plenty on the owners club have done, myself included.)" - from https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=1&t=990574&d=11428.22962&nmt=

As the rims stick out massively (unlike any car I've had before) I can't see the extra 10mm is going to catch much. Those who have them, does it even protect the rim with only another 10mm?

Thanks guys - I'm just checking really before I go and fork out for 4 news tyres.
Cheers :D

I have got 205/40/17 and looks better, and the tyres are cheaper than 195/40/17 (At least in Spain)...

There are plenty on here who have changed to 205s, and I quite possibly will next time - as it appears my dunlops are getting harder to get.

Renault did definitely change the spec to say they were going to supply 205s with cup alloys on the facelift 133 (it was on plenty of pages, and even a discussion or two over on the RS forums), but changed their mind at launch to go back to 195s. I'm not certain, but I don't think Renault ever confirmed a reason why.

Peter":2l3vdyrx said:
how about lowering the car with springs when you run 205/40/17? Will it rub the arches?

Not for me, I've got Apex Springs and 205/40/17 Yokohama Parada Spec-2.

;)

tougemaster":obtgtamr said:
Peter":obtgtamr said:
how about lowering the car with springs when you run 205/40/17? Will it rub the arches?

Not for me, I've got Apex Springs and 205/40/17 Yokohama Parada Spec-2.

;)

Thanks; you just convinced me to go for 205's and a nice set of springs :D

Just a quick question guys I've currently got 195/40r17 on my wheels would I be able to go up to a 205/45r17 or even a 50r17 ????

Kieran k":3v7q8zhg said:
Just a quick question guys I've currently got 195/40r17 on my wheels would I be able to go up to a 205/45r17 or even a 50r17 ????
Why ask the question again when the answer is written above multiple times?

+ there is a link to another topic showing which sizes fit so far on the Twingo.

205's fit but wouldn't try 50r17 though..

MovingShadow":2tq5mmle said:
Kieran k":2tq5mmle said:

+ there is a link to another topic showing which sizes fit so far on the Twingo.

You'll see that Kieran was asking about 45 profiles, not 40s. ;)

Kieran,
Chances are, the corners of a higher profile tyre will foul on full lock. I'm sure someone on here had a problem with tyres that were only a few mm taller than stock. You'll also change the speedo reading, and the car's gearing - so I wouldn't.

Araf":2hchqil2 said:
MovingShadow":2hchqil2 said:
Kieran k":2hchqil2 said:

You'll see that Kieran was asking about 45 profiles, not 40s. ;)

Kieran,
Chances are, the corners of a higher profile tyre will foul on full lock. I'm sure someone on here had a problem with tyres that were only a few mm taller than stock. You'll also change the speedo reading, and the car's gearing - so I wouldn't.
My mistake then but still, there's a link to wheels-and-tyres/wheels-and-tyres-what-sizes-work-t5534.html that show which sizes work and it's a pretty complete list for the possiblities.

thanks guys i was more worried about profile rather than width thanks for the link movingshadow ill take a look

Just got 205s on my RS much ether ride and not shit scared anymore to go up a small kerb!