Air vent surround

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holliedynamique

Reaction score
I have ordered the air vent surround part off eBay so that I can get it sprayed gloss black to change the plastic one, I've read singlespeeds write up of how to change it after he got his flocked, I have tried once before to remove my original part but got nervous at the airbag point and chickened out!

What I want to know as I've been reading up and every answer contradicts someone else's, I'f the passenger airbag is switched off and the ignition is not on, will the bag deploy if I lift it out slightly?

I also know that carrie changed hers to gloss black and didn't have a problem I'm just nervous bout doing it :(

I was just as nervous as you when i went to change it in mine... like you i chickened out and sold the part in the end :( i had a gloss black one off a gordini

really hope you manage to get it swapped over:)

It really is a dodle to fit however I can understand why you would be scared, the air bag worried me but I had the keys out the ignition and the air bag switched off. If that's still not settled your mind then you can always disconnect the battery.
The bolt in the glove box only holds the air bag in and when you unscrew it it just lifts it up, I was wary of pulling the wires of course.

It will be all worth it in the end :)

Thanks for the replies :)
Yea that's why I was so happy to find the part as the salvage yard is only down the line from me and I wanted a spare one to be painted just incase it looked bad or I damaged it, I love the gloss black look :)
Okay thank u, I know it would be very unlucky if even after the airbag is turned off it went off but I will b extra careful, when u fitted yours carrie did u take the cover off the airbag or just simply undo the bolts lift it up slightly with the plastic top part still on and pull the centre air vent console out?

hollie. You won't need to take the airbag out of its hole. Just lifting it an inch or so should be enough.

If you can undo the 13mm nuts, the cover should come away from the dash just like the drivers side... Except it has 1kg of airbag attached to the underside.

Disconnecting the battery -ve black cable if your realy bricking it could be an idea. Once you do it, youl be like ' whats the fuss'

I know that's how silly It is haha! I'm worrying but then I think all these places that dismantle cars can't have airbags exploding in there faces 24/7 and they are designed with a crash sensor etc.
Think I need some man up pills lol when the console arrives and I get it sprayed at work I'll give it a go :D thanks everyone