Alloys made of cheese...

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr slippyfist

Reaction score
Right my car goes to the stealers for an MOT.. As I wait I'm told my exhaust is broken ( covered under warranty ) & my wheel has a kink in it.. £320+ vat for a new one.. As I'm pickin my jaw up from the floor & say but I only need one not four..
Now my mum takes her 59 plate Clio in for an MOT at the same stealer & guess what ......................... She needs a new wheel.. £325 for a 16" alloy.. Wtf..
I had a set of bbs 18" split rims on my m3 8 years ago & that never had a problem with its wheels..
Yet again Renault shite quality.. Mind blowing parts prices..
I won't be getting another mot on the twingo as its going to be replaced with something that won't fall apart when I get in it..

Crikey. You got time to ask Karl if he can do you a better price on the wheel? Am sure he's quoted under that before.

Thats not the point .. Its the quality of the alloy they use.. When people ask me are Renault any good I always say no..
There cheap cars cuz there built cheap. & made in Spain .. Says it all really..
I do 3000 miles a year in it.. I was doing 24000 in the bm with no problems with the wheels.
It's a joke..

My alloys have done 30k and not a problem with them at all.
You sure you haven't damaged it from hitting a pothole or something

Mr slippyfist":13dj4rak said:
Thats not the point .. Its the quality of the alloy they use.. When people ask me are Renault any good I always say no..
I do 3000 miles a year in it.. I was doing 24000 in the bm with no problems with the wheels.
It's a joke..

You were one of the lucky ones, with BM wheels then. You'll see plenty of cases on the interweb, documenting the styles that crack and break.

As for the Renault ones, just like the BM ones, they are not made by the car manufacturers, but by wheel manufacturers. My original wheels were made by Speedline in Czech Republic, and my current Renault wheels were made by OZ.

Are you sure that both wheels do need replacing? I wouldn't dream of suggesting that a dealer is needlessly trying to sell high mark-up goods, but it's quite a coincidence.....

Mr slippyfist":3ib8qzzm said:
It's a joke..

I dont want to sound rude here but if you know Renault is NOT good quality for the money you pay why still buy one ? and compare it to a car that cost almost 3 times the amount (BMW M3) ? you get what you pay for ....

If you hit a pothole really hard, no matter what the quality of the wheel is, it will either bend or crack.

I'd look for a second opinion. 320 £ for one wheels sounds too much..

Mr slippyfist":37o6e6rr said:
It's a joke..

True, I agree it probably should not have gone in the first place (unless as suggested there have been some pothole hits etc), but was thinking if you have to shell out some money on it, then minimising the cost for the same items would be best.

unfortunately that sounds about right for a standard retail price on those wheels :( all renault wheels are bloody expensive

RS wheels are a lot but the wheels are as strong as any others.

The only way this could happen is if you don't take care over potholes or speedbumps and just floor it over them, then of course you'll break your wheels and it won't be cheap to replace.

My alloys get a lot of abuse and are all straight and true so maybe its just your driving style and maybe the roads where you live.

Plus IIRC RS cup wheels retail around £1000 for 4 I think or more!

Plus as ghost said a £13000 twingo will not have the quality of an M3 which is over £40000 when both are new.

waitey":1jq59kbq said:
The only way this could happen is if you don't take care over potholes or speedbumps and just floor it over them, then of course you'll break your wheels and it won't be cheap to replace.

+ if you tires are running a little more flat than usual and you hit a pothole, it will get damaged as well. No matter how expensive or cheap they are.

I work for the highways agency & look at potholes all day long & people who said they have damaged a wheel on one & in 10 years only 2 people have ever won money from us.. . & in my 3 mile round trip to work there are no potholes on the roads I use & if there were I would be on the phone to the sub contractor for the council to fill them..
I don't rag it over speed bumps .. Out of all the renaultsports I've owned . This is the only time I have come across this..
It just seems odd that both cars go for an mot & both have buckled wheels.. Needless to say the warranty is up at the start of September . So it will never see the stealers again..

In that case how sure are you that these wheels need replacing......

This seems to me as though the dealers are just trying it on, take it to an indy to see what they say about the wheel

JamesGT":252lwklv said:
In that case how sure are you that these wheels need replacing......

This seems to me as though the dealers are just trying it on, take it to an indy to see what they say about the wheel

+1

At least ask to have a good look at the alloy they've removed

Too late as this happened a few weeks ago.. I've delt with that dealer on & off for about 8 years & even got them once to change all of the tyres on my megane to Michelin tyres or the deal was off..
I even had to wait nearly a year for a new recaro seat & didnt moan that much about that.. Just seem odd that they would try & pull a fast one !! Cuz if they did the service manager would have been dragged across his desk & told ...
I might have a word with vosa tomorrow as they share the same depot..

Alarm bells would be ringing if both cars had the same 'problem', i would look into it regardless of how well you know them.

Well all I can do now is see if anybody else has an issue with this .. If not I'll be beating my money & my mums money out of the service manager..
If I still own it when it comes round again for it next mot I'll stick that wheel back on & see if it passes .. But it won't be done by Renault monkeys..

just get the wheel spun up on a balancing machine at a tyre fitters. That should let you see and measure any buckle and wouldn't cost more than a packet of Hobnobs