Any hope?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy89

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Right! I have a question for all of you that know anything abotu keeping your cars nice and clean!

I am in need of a car for only a month (while the Gf takes mine to a months lot of training for her job) I looked into renting (too expensive) and cant lift share with anyone at work. So this is the only option! Anyhu - to the point. I have found a really ropey clio (doesnt matter too much as its only got to get me 15 miles to work and then 15 miles back a day) its cheap, and close to me so is fine... The only problem is the paint! It is awfully faded - now i dont expect a rolls royce for £395 but I couldnt stand to have it sat on my drive like it is.

SO, is there any way of pulling the paint back round to anywhere near shiny?

Here it is (Once again, I know its rank but it serves a purpose)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305106686306/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/manual/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/wv165el/page/1/radius/40?logcode=p

*ps the main paint damage is picture 4)

What is a mop? reckon I could get one cheap somewhere?

i dont want to spend too much on the car - I did have a saxo with faded paint on the boot and that came up with autoglym paint restorer (just found it in the shed) but I dunno if this product would do that much for the clio's damage!

Is it worth spending money on it mate? Its a 400 quid car at the end of the day.

Your gonna buy it, run it and then sell it again, if it was me i wouldnt worry about it, id just put fuel in it and run as is

Well yes, I agree with you to an extent.

I agree that It is a £400 pound car and thus it is not worth getting resprayed and doing up to be a show car - however, I just wondered if anyone knew of any pastes or cheap machines that would do an average job for a very small fee of under £30. For the price of a less than average night out I would rather have a degree of pride in what I am forced to drive as my partner takes our "safer" car to her training course.

I have concluded that I will go and hopefully buy that car tomorrow and experiment with some cleaning products to see if I can be proud of what I have on my drive way (whilst remembering my "good" car is an 04 reg scenic - the twingo got sold so I could get on the property ladder)

Autoglym something or other is the way forward :D

Just rust it all over and make it look like a steaming pile of crap. I heard that's cool.

I imagine it will take a lot of time and effort by hand but its do-able. The investment in time will probably be worth while come time to resell it :)

Something like this as it can be used by hand, where many of the cutting compounds are much better suited to machine use>>
https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/sonus-hand-polish-bundle/prod_29.html

A couple of packs of the cheap microfiber cloths from Asda (other supermarkets my shock them).

A good wash first, with a good dose of washing up liquid will get rid of any surface crud and bits of grit which may be stuck in corners and panel gaps.
De-tar the paint with a specific tar remover or theres several options not normally recommended. White spirit, or even petrol disolve it but could damage the paint and have the obvious hazards of being slightly flammable.
A second wash, again with a good dose of washing up liquid to remove the residue from the tar remover.
Get polishing... (Maybe a pannel or two per night. and a spread the effort over a week. Quick wash/wipe down of subsequent panels before polishing/waxing them.)
Get it protected with a wax or sealant to preserve the finish... What ever you already have in the shed would be better than nothing

Than you single speed :) I wouldnt have ever gone down that route without it being recommended. might even be able to resell it for a small profit if it comes up nice.

HA! DanPaul7 ..... Being a primary school teacher means I dont really need to go for the "cool" look - remember my other car is a renault scenic.... The ship on my "street cred" or "rep" has well and truly sunk! Hell, My idea of a luxurious car was a twingo extreme, you can see what levels I'm working at here!

poweller23":1nid3art said:
DanPaul7":1nid3art said:
Just rust it all over and make it look like a steaming pile of crap. I heard that's cool.

Think that's called rat look seems to be big on VW's

Didn't used to be. RAT actually stands for something but it escapes me now.

It used to be the art of keeping a car running on as little as possible, big with old American cars etc. It wasn't about sanding panels back to rust them on new or nearly new cars like some seem to enjoy these days. I can't see the appeal myself

maggi112":1f4grd29 said:
poweller23":1f4grd29 said:
DanPaul7":1f4grd29 said:

Think that's called rat look seems to be big on VW's

Didn't used to be. RAT actually stands for something but it escapes me now.

It used to be the art of keeping a car running on as little as possible, big with old American cars etc. It wasn't about sanding panels back to rust them on new or nearly new cars like some seem to enjoy these days. I can't see the appeal myself

I don't like it either tbh I like my cars all nice and shinny :)

funky_d":1uyw3hoj said:
I'd imagine just a decent machine polish should do the trick, but I'm not sure of the cost on that one...
For DIY, you can pick up a cheap (relatively) silverline rotary machine polisher that would work. However then you still need pads and compounds to use with it. Also, theres bound to be some areas that need doing by hand as its not exactly a freshen up job.

then theres the argument that starting off with a rotary may not be the best approach for a novice as theres potential to damage the paint. A Dual Action DA machine is relatively safe but way more expensive and being a one off project the investment of money over effort for a CHEAP project probably wouldn't add up.

having restored a pink 5 series BM back to red with t-cut and elbow grease. Three of us for a full day, its certainly not within the bounds of being possible to make the faded Clio look better... Although, it won't be an hours job.

That said, it the paint likely to have laquer over the top? or is it single stage flat blue paint?

Bit of heat to the bumpers, and then any back to black style product on a budget. Heck even shoe polish if you don't want to spend anything.

Any t cut style product, hard work and some friends in a well spent day with some beers, won't even seem a chore.

Get some cheap apc from tesco and clean all the bits that need attention. New, cheap, plain wheel covers and it'll look a goodun.

Heck I sometimes want something like this to give a once over and run for cheap thrills. Save the 133 for the weekends. Then I remember its a Twingo :p

You know what mate, you could probably wash it, give it a going over by hand with some polish, give the plastics some kind of treatment and it would look infinitely better.

If you wanted to go down the machine polishing route then they cost about £100 plus pads but to be fair you may find someone who could lend you a hand via DetailingWorld or someone locally on here.

Certainly if the car isn't rusty but has a few chips and usual dings, you could spend £50 on gear from Halfords and make it half decent.

Well I can led you a mop but depends where abouts you are in Shropshire as I live in Herefordshire witch is not far away

Thank you for all your advice on the clio - went to see it and the head gasket had gone (in my opinion) usual signs and a lot of other problems that would just make it not safe to be driven.

So! I have bought the pug 306 that I was trying to sell on here a year ago - my brothers partner has had it in a barn for a year, MOT test this week and we shall see what happens!