awd/4wd gearbox

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good shout.
just seen this site, https://www.xtrac.com/Product%20Specifications.htm and saw the WRC trans gearbox. lucky the website doesnt state the price.
with almost having to sell the car we wanted to rebuy another one down the line but maybe a GT or scrappy non turbo 1.2 and drop meggie engine. tempted to sell the 133 and go the route of extreme model and make something alone the line of 4wd twingo. looking back at the cost we brought the 133, 13k seems like a good budget to actually pull it off (not that i regret getting a 133, tis a thing of beauty)

4wd-transverse1.jpg

mmmm

2nd engine in the back may be as easy or difficult to getting a twingo to be 4wd from a transfer box, prop shaft and rear diff arrangement. The obvious disadvantages are loss of rear space and a halving of the fuel economy with both engines running.

After seeing a Golf with a 2.8 in the front and 2.9 Corrado lump in the back, a RS266 Twingo does sound frighteningly good fun. Or maybe that's just frightening

Quaife or xtrac are prob the best but u need very very deep pockets!!

thoughts on running 2x133 is how would the gearboxes be linked or would it use one?
dont think i'd be able to do it with the 133 the costs would be huge.

easyst way would b have 2 lumps, 2boxes and have one lump running the front wheels and one running the back.

then u have to just set the gear linkages together and get the engines running together.

that would b the easyst way but still masses of work and lots of probs for what will b a pretty unfriendy car! u would b better off spending all that cash on just going nuts with one lump!

might see how far i can get with the 133 lump NA wise (just dropped Catcams e-mail...again..) and then maybe flog it when i've got the best out of it power and driver skill wise and see if meggie lump would mate with evo gearbox or even getting the 133 to mate with it.

orbital":2mdo1l66 said:
might see how far i can get with the 133 lump NA wise (just dropped Catcams e-mail...again..) and then maybe flog it when i've got the best out of it power and driver skill wise and see if meggie lump would mate with evo gearbox or even getting the 133 to mate with it.

i know its poss to mate f4r/f4rt lumps to certain audi gearboxes ;) ;)

i still reckon with a bit of work an f4r/f4rt would squeeeeeze in2 a 133 :twisted: that would b the best back for buck

gsidave":2au72zsp said:
No one remember the twin engined r5 turbo ?

i think ive still got the fast car magazine with that in somewhere, it was bright red and nuts

very early days but thought it was worth an ask. most likely a diffie will go in by next year

orbital":2i5pt869 said:
very early days but thought it was worth an ask. most likely a diffie will go in by next year

Brave and adventurous for even thinking about it :?

Are you planning on gravel rallys, otherwise I'm not getting the point

starting to take track days more seriously and whilst power would be nice, doesnt seem the 133 would get much through a high cost so more effective getting the handling as best we can. nice review in redline with the 200 fitted with knocking a couple of seconds off in its lap. and the old man loves high climbs and had one fitted to his mini was back when he did grass rallying and believe al cars in this modern day should come with them.
on a good note just signed a check for my B-licence :D bring on next season

orbital":1vclanft said:
starting to take track days more seriously and whilst power would be nice, doesnt seem the 133 would get much through a high cost so more effective getting the handling as best we can. nice review in redline with the 200 fitted with knocking a couple of seconds off in its lap. and the old man loves high climbs and had one fitted to his mini was back when he did grass rallying and believe al cars in this modern day should come with them.
on a good note just signed a check for my B-licence :D bring on next season

Thing with adding a 4wd system is you will be adding extra weight and drivetrain losses to the car. As you would need to get drive to the rear wheels, you would need to alter the rear suspension setup, probably to McPhersun struts and lower arms, or a double wishbone and upright design... you would need to get the rear suspension design and adjustment absolutely spot on to significantly improve on lap times from handling improvements to balance the reduction in laptimes for the extra weight over the present beam setup.

How do you invisage getting the drive to the back end and mounting the rear diff when the floorpan alterations and fuel tank move doesn't look like an easy (cheap) mod?

Have you thought about stiffening the rear beam axle with an add-on antiroll bar to reduce twisting of the rear beam to the keep the rear end flatter, which should keep the front flatter as well. It made a huge difference to the audi :)
Edit after having a look - There is a torsion tube fitted across the rear beam, welded in place on either end. Should be easy to remove and get either a solid bar or a slightly larger tube fitted, which would reduce the understeer and allow some oversteer if you go too stiff

You have obviously given the 4wd setup and general handling improvements some thought, but if trackdays are becoming more of a pull, rather than just doing it to say it can be done, it would probably be more beneficial to get something like a Caterham/Westfield as these certainly handle well when setup correctly